Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gathering parts

Got out today and found time to get the top tang heated and bent down to match my sporter stock set. Then spent more time removing a bit more metal off the thickness up near the receiver.

I've got the hammer and breechblock rough shaped and somewhat polished. I'll need to do the final polish and then use my checkering file to get the spurs checkered again. A lot of extra metal on these two spurs, so they're still a bit heavier than sporter, but polishing will remove the rest.

With the thinning of the receiver sides the pins stuck through a bit too far, so I took about .090" off the excess length.

While I was at it, I went ahead and fitted the tang sight base to ensure it was dead vertical with the tangs. Then D&T the holes to mount it. Took a little more metal off the right side to get the tang sight vertical.

A few hours of polishing and it will be ready to send back to Al springer for color case work.

Seeing Ol Deuce's winter Rolling Block project revived, I figured I'd revive mine too. It's been almost 2 years since I started this simple project, and it's taken some turns, and steps backwards.
    The last receiver shown above in reshaped octagon top didn't work out. I decided it might be too thin for a larger caliber, so I set it aside for another project in the future. Maybe a .32-20 on that #1 receiver, as that would be fun. I got a great deal on another action from a friend for $80, so I once again reshaped and thinned the upper tang on it, and fit the pistol grip trigger plate to this last action. This one is an old round top military action, and I'll leave it round top for strength.
    I sent the action off to Al Springer for barrel fitting, and final polish. He'll rust blue the barrel, and color case the action parts. The 34" #3.5 weight GM barrel is now fitted and chambered in .40-50SS, instead of the original .40-65 Win. choice. I love the mild recoil of the .40-50, and it works better with smokeless powders also.
    Al has everything polished and the barrel rust blued. Might have the receiver color cased also, but haven't heard yet? It isn't far from returning though, so once it's back I'll mount the forearm, and do the final assembly. Then post some pictures, and after test firing, some accuracy reports.

Just got word that my Rolling Block is headed home! Al has it finished, and it's in transit, so should be here in a couple days! Once it arrives I need to D&T for the forearm screw, and do some final fitting of the buttstock, and mount sights.
    Will post some pictures when it arrives, and after assembly is done.

I feel like a kid on a trip asking, "Are we there yet"?
    Well the answer is YES! The postman delivered a nice big shipping crate a few minutes ago, and I couldn't get it open fast enough! Al Springer at Snowy Mountain Blue really outdid himself! (Is that really possible?) His colors on the action are as good as it gets, and spot on for a Remington!

I let Al do the polishing on the barrel since it wasn't fitted when I sent it to him. He always does a little extra touch up work anyway, and this barrel is perfection! As is his usual great rust bluing! The work done by Pat at C Sharps to fit and chamber is equally great!

Wood is some of the leftovers from Remington's late 1990's run. This is their high grade custom shop wood.

Barrel is a 34" #3.5 weight Green Mountain .40 caliber. It is chambered in the old .40-50 Sharps Straight.
    Still need to mount up the wood I fitted prior to sending it to Al Springer, but I'll get that taken care of this weekend.

Slipped the stocks on just to get a picture.

That is so coooooool !!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    That is so coooooool !!
    Thanks! Another with the sights installed.

That sure is one VERY nice rifle Val! I have such huge envy right now ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Thanks Al! Next to my straight grip Rolling Blocks it's hard to compare the differences. I sure love the graceful curved pistol grip that Remington used on their pistol grip lower tangs.

Boolit Master
    I can only hope and dream that mine will end up looking that good. It’s always good to have a goal to shoot for.
    Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

That is a beautiful rifle, but old fashioned and not tacticool at all. I’ll offer a NIB Savage Axis with plastic stock that will never swell if it gets wet in trade if you want something more modern.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    That is a beautiful rifle, but old fashioned and not tacticool at all. I’ll offer a NIB Savage Axis with plastic stock that will never swell if it gets wet in trade if you want something more modern.
    Tony
    What a generous offer! But since I have a plastic stocked Gamo air rifle and an AR15 I've filled my two slots in the safe allotted to plastic stocked guns. No room left, as all other slots are designated blued steel and walnut.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123