RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best single shot .22 for a kid.

http://chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_aboutus.php Bought one 26 years ago for my first Grandson and he will be using it to teach our first Great Grand Daughter to shoot when she gets a little older. Great rifles. they will last forever.

Boolit Master
    The Rascal for a new rifle for sure. Cock-on-close, a usable safety (good practice) and peep sights.

Moderator Emeritus

Many options, and none are bad unless they have a bum barrel. The main thing with kids, is that the stock fit them. Nobody can learn to shoot well with a stock that's too long. That would be the big issue for me. I cut one down for my son long ago, and he was VERY deadly with that little gun! Got my grandsons a Cricket. They loved it. I can't shoot it because the comb's too high for me to line up the sights, but they loved it. I'd cut down the comb, but I don't need that one at all, and it'd make it harder for any great grandkids to use one day. Most any old Rem. or Win. single shot should do the trick. Just make SURE to teach them to NEVER let the barrel cover anything they don't want dead. Some good instruction on hold and trigger squeeze, and they ought to be out-shooting you before you know it, as soon as they grow old and big enough to shoot. Kids CHEAT! They have VERY sharp eyes!

I like the old Winchester Model 67, it is what my dad started with when the Model 67 first came out. It is the first "real" gun the I shot and it is what all the grand kids learned on. The next generation is about ready to start. My dad's youngest grandson got his rifle. His oldest cousin is in the market for a Model 67 to start his son with and I had to go buy one just because I got beat out of My dad's by the nephew.

Closing the bolt still does not make it ready to fire, it has to be an intentional pull of the cocking bolt to get it ready to fire. When it is on safe there is a "flag" that is blocking the sights. There are still replacement parts available for them, I had to replace the extractor on my dad's for the nephew a couple of years ago. and found new mfg replacement parts online.
    Last edited by 15meter; 03-02-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: bad grammar....

Boolit Buddy

Winchester boys rifle...

My daughter just turned 31 and I still have her Chipmunk rifle. Walnut stock and very high quality and quite a shooter with the scope installed. Not sure if they are still made.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I bought my Boy a Marlin bolt action single shot youth model in the late 1980's We shot it maybe 3 times & I have it stored away.
    He is now 33 and not interested in things like that anymore Would like to get a hundred for it plus shipping if anyone is interested.

I got pictures some where on my computer I can post if interested
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Rossi Matched Pair .22/.410. Put the shotgun barrel up for a few years because a four pound .410 kicks. The rifle however has easy to use sights and being break open with a hammer is safe to operate. The first time they get hit with an ejected empty case they learn to tilt the gun a bit.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Thompson center put out a small scale copy of the Contender in .22. I forget the name now. But my dad picked up one and gifted it to me and my son. The advantage over the Chipmunk which I have as well is the ease of cocking. This could also be a disadvantage if one wants to have control over when the gun can be fired. It is also much easier to load than the micro bolt guns particularly for adults with large fingers. Unfortunately it was discontinued so you would have to find it on the used market.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I'm partial to the Marlin 15. There's no cocking piece to pull back with little fingers. If you think pulling one of those is easy for a kid, try pulling it back with your ring and pinky fingers.

Boolit Mold
    This is a pet topic of mine. I have all the rifles suggested with the exception of the 510. My feeling is there are two options:
    For hunting get the Rossi matched pair or just the .22. It is easy for a 4 year old to operate themselves and easy for the mentor to see if the rifle is cocked.
    For range use get the Savage Rascal. It is the easiest to use but with the internal hammer the mentor can not verify as easily the safety etc while walking around. I am not as comfortable with a really young child carrying the closed bolt rascal when I hand it to them unloaded as I am the closed Rossi. I can see the Rossi hammer down and that helps ease my nerves with short kids with short guns that could easily point in a scary direction quickly.
    I have put a few thousand rounds through each gun and own and like crickets(my daughter will not give hers up even with 10 other 22s to pick from) Henry's, TCs, marlins, old Winchester's, Stevens, Remingtons and a few customs. The Rossi and Savage are definitely the go to for teaching kids.

Matthew

Boolit Bub
    I got my daughter a Marlin 15Y as well. Still single shot but a little more substance than a Crickett. I have a thing for older single shots though. I learned on a Savage 24, open sights of course. I now have a #4 Rolling Block as well. Very fun, little, very light.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Boolit Buddy
    I went savage rascal bc of several of its features, feed ramp is not optional imo. It's fun to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    I vote for the marlin 15y as well. Your kids will quickly outgrow it & then later you can put it in a full size stock.The one I bought for my sons is very accurate and I still use it!

Boolit Master
    I'd look at the cz 452 scout. Leads right into the big boy rifle. You can start them on the single shot adapter and change to regular 5-10 shot mags. 12" length of pull like the cricket. Lots of upgrade paths if the youngun' decides shootin' is their thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    I went savage rascal bc of several of its features, feed ramp is not optional imo. It's fun to shoot.
    I hear good things about the Savage --- I'm sure they will wnjoy it. Last Summer we had visits from 5 grandkids, all anxious to shoot 22s. I bought a carton of CCI Quiet and they worked very well. Accuracy @ 25 yards was excellent and they really are quieter. Plus, they are easier on my old 1906 Win pump, which was made in 1912.

Boolit Buddy
    In 1975 I bought 2 Browning T Bolt 22 RF rifles. One in Grade I and one in Grade II. The Grade I was intended for my son who was only 4 at the time but he would grow into to it. The T Bolt at that time came with an adapter that allowed for it to be a single shot only rifle. Perfect for a first time rifle and as time went by I removed the ss adapter and let him use the magazine.. We both loved the rifle. Then many years later along came a grandson and out came the ss adapter until he was ready for the magazine.. The T bolt made today is not advertised with a ss adapter so dont know if it still available. Our rifles came with peep sights which were also a good option for first timers.

Ron

Boolit Master
    I bought my son whos now 9 a cricket. Its not a flimsy rifle where it will break, pain to load at times. as you cant just drop a round in it and close the bolt. You have to get a bullet started then close it. Have considered a scope for it, but he can just shoot something else. The irons are good fro learning. Told him if he can shoot it well, he can shoot anything.

Boolit Master
    My daughter shot competitively with the Rascal against kids using $3,000 Anschutz rifles and held her own. I replaced the front blade sight with a globe. The aperture sight is cheap and fiddle but once it's dialed in, it's very effective. Unbelievable value for money.

Boolit Master
    Back in 1992 I bought an Oregon Arms Chipmonk for my then 5 yr old daughter to shoot. Deluxe walnut and high polished blue. I still have that rifle. I cherish it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast