RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best single shot .22 for a kid.

Boolit Buddy

Best single shot .22 for a kid.

This month i will have two nieces born. As soon as i find out they have 10 fingers 10 toes and scream, my next question will be "When can they come over and shoot some pop cans?".

So i need a good single shot .22 with good iron sights for the young ladies to use when they visit.

I looked at the Savage Rascal and the Cricket .22's. They look good but how do they hold up? The sights looked a little flimsy on the Savage and i don't know how i feel about the acu trigger and a young shooter.

I volunteer with a youth group that shoots those Henry single shots with the butter knife bolt handle, and i cant say that i like very much about them.

Any other contenders in the market that i have missed?

Thanks for your time.

Mine has been shooting old 22 single shots her whole life. She's 15 now and we went out last weekend and first thing she grabs is her H&R reg'lar. She went through 350 rounds that day. We also have a win 67, Springfield and a Rem. All old.

Boolit Master

all the nieces and nephews and step kids learned with the cricket, its been abused and held up well and the key safety makes it so you do not have to worry about unauthorized shooting wile at the range.

Boolit Master

My son started with a Cricket. They have pretty nice peep sights, but I installed a Tasco Red Dot to help him out a bit.

Both Henry and Savage make these youth sized rifles. Savage has the Accutrigger.

Banned
    There are lots of styles of old 22's. Way too many to suggest one in particular. As far as the new stuff goes, If you are going to start them at say 4 or 5 years old, you would probably want the cricket because of the size and fit to a small tot. But through the years there have been many many rifles made for child sized folks.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple for the grandsons here that are the original "boys" rifles or as a lot here call them butcher guns ( they were small light and handy when butchering) The first is a stevens favorite in very good shape and is small light and handy. The second is an remeington rolling block, both are 22 long rifle. Look around and see whats out there the new youth rifles are safe and solid performers. Cricket, savage henery, and some others. The older ones are also very good performers and have some history behind them. Look over the older ones carefully and make sure they are what you think they are as to chamber bore and condition.

I did this project some time ago and restored a dozen 510 Remingtons for the grandkids. Built one for each. The nice thing about the 510 is, if taken care of, it will increase in value and it has an automatic safety that comes on every time it is bolted. The double pinned barrel to action makes a very stable barrel fit, for good accuracy, as long as you find a good bore to start with. I still have my grandfather's 510 that I learned to shoot with when I was 5, 66 years ago.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    This month i will have two nieces born. As soon as i find out they have 10 fingers 10 toes and scream, my next question will be "When can they come over and shoot some pop cans?".

So i need a good single shot .22 with good iron sights for the young ladies to use when they visit.

I can't say one is best over another but I am 100% with you. A singleshot is the best, first rifle you could provide. A hat tip to you.

Teach them how to use an iron sight too. Many of the newer shooters (adults) were never shown. They often have no idea how accurate a rifle can be with nothing more than open and or iron peep sights.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I actually have a little Crickett that I bought for me, lol. They are pretty darn accurate and fun to shoot, i just wanted a fun little single feeder that shoots. Mine is the laminate stock model without the keylock and came with their own little 4X scope. From my example of one, I really like the little gun and it looks sharp with the laminate stock.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I picked up two Rem. Mod. 33s for less than a Cricket I also have a pre-war Anschutz They all shoot great.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 02-26-2017 at 08:38 AM.

The Chipmunk is a quality rifle, that's what the Criket and others like it copy. Don't know if it is
    still made.

I know this has nothing to do with the OP but I wanted to mention it... if any of the lil ones are scared of loud noises try easing them into it with CCI 22lr "Quiet" rounds... they are $3.99/50 around here and are so quiet I can hear the action/firing pin "click" on my Moss 346KA when I pull the trigger. So quiet in fact that any city-folk that are reading this that are tasked with policing the feeders in the city for their missus will thank me once they try them. They are that quiet. 710 fps. Extremely accurate to boot.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Buddy
    Those quiet .22s are a lot of fun. When my wife was pregnant she gave up her .45 and her M1 since we didn't want to hurt the ears growing inside of her. But the Aguilia quiet .22s were a safe alternative for that time.

I bought my daughters a Western Auto Revelation single shot .22 at a garage sale for $25, they can put a 300 rd dent in a brick of 22 shells in an afternoon at the range. Keeps them from shooting up all of my 38 specials!
    My first single shot 22 was a Marlin Glenfield Mod. 10, wish I still had it.

Banned

I have two Grandsons so far, one is 8 years old and the other is 3. When the oldest was 4 he liked pulling the trigger on my 10/22 for me. So I bought him a Cricket and taught him safety and taught him to shoot it. He got so good that he could do like a 20 round mad minute. Bought a second when the next Grandson was born and he was shooting it at 3 years. They have been handled by the grandkids exclusively and are still in great shape. Incidentally, I saw a YT video where a guy was shooting steel at 200 plus yards with the peep sights and hitting every shot. Accurate little rifle.

Banned

I got my youngest son a Marlin 15Ywhich is bigger than a Cricket, but that means they don't outgrow it as fast. Something I like about it is to turn the safety from "safe" to "fire", you have to pull it back with your thumb rather than push it forward like most rifles. Always seemed like a good arrangement as it was a more deliberate action to take it off safe.

Banned
    I grew up with a Savage single shot. Kids don't need something special.

Boolit Buddy
    I leaned on a Stevens favorite, one of the new ones that was not very good. You could slip a cartridge in the chamber over the extractor and it would not support the case when it went off. The end result was a .22 case ruptured at the 6'oclock position. So my dad would sit at the picnic table with me as i shot that thing over sand bags for hours and hours. He would confirm that i had the case in right each time. I think he may have even had to pull the hammer back for me when we started off. ( Was i ever that small?) Once i started hitting empty shotgun hulls with it at 50 yards i graduated to a M-67 Winchester.

Started my two granddaughters with the Cricket rifle,they have appropriate L.O.P. for youngsters. I taught them both the silhouette game at 6 and 5 yrs of age.Local range had a .22 rim fire silhouette course. In very short order they were better than most adults with iron sights. One spotting for the other, people would stop their own shooting to watch these two shoot.Wish I had been smarter and taped their endeavors, such a joy these two young ladies are.

Boolit Buddy
    I would definitely teach them with iron sights first. When I was a young lad I had to shoot a 1" group at 25 yards with iron sights before I could scope my .22. To this day the majority of my rifles have peep sights. I like the Chipmunk rifles very nice quality and good sights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast