Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 265gr 45LC load data

In Remembrance

Cool 265gr 45LC load data

Ok before anyone chimes in I already did the search and kinda came up empty. I got a mould from NOE that works just fine, but after I PC it the weight comes out to 265gr. Now I have 2 of the Lyman books and believe it or not the weights stop at 255gr. I did the net search and went to handloads and they have a load of 5gr of TrailBoss at 638FPS.

I want to keep the loads down around 800FPS Max but I seem to be running out of places to look for data. Maybe my books are to old I don't know, but with all the custom mould makers out there with all these different weights, it doesn't surprise me if I need to order a new Lyman book.

I'm just loading these for someone else, I don't own a 45LC anything, I'm just looking for a real mild plinking speed.

THANKS....

BTW....The mould is the 454-255-RF PB

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=750
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 02-24-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    GRUMPA,

The biggest problem you will have is finding load data for velocities that slow. Just use 255gr load data and realize your velocity will be a little bit slower. I would suggest 6.0gr of Bullseye or 6.5gr of W231/HP38.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Over on the CBA forum Larry Gibson recently posted pressure test data in .45 Colt using Bullseye powder with the Accurate 45-240H1, 45-262H and 45-290H bullets. 6 grains of Bullseye is a mild load well below SAAMI MAP safe in older guns. A charge of 7.5 grains of Bullseye slightly exceeds SAAMI MAP with the 262-grain bullet, but is safe in Gen2 Colts and clones. Use 7 grains of Bullseye with the 45-290H.

These are all long-nosed bullets which give a 1.68" OAL to fit the Ruger NM Blackhawk and Vaquero cylinders.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...llets-45-colt/
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-25-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

I would try 6.5 gr red dot. It does what I need at a slightly faster speed with traditional lube.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use that same mold and just tumble lube them in alox/paste wax. Load them over 6.0 grains of Red Dot and a standard LPP. They shoot great out of my Uberti SAA Cattleman 7 1/2" 45 Colt. All I do is plink but I've had good luck with that load at 25 and 50 yards.

Boolit Master

I too would use starting 255gr data.......
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    @GRUMPA,

I entered this bullet into QuickLoad and ran calculations for loads that gave 825 fps in a 7.5" barrel. Round OAL was 1.576" to give a 0.315" seating depth for this bullet. Here are a number of powders and loadings that should do what you want:

6.1gr Universal,
    6.3gr HP38/W231,
    6.5gr Unique,
    7.2gr Herco,
    7.3gr Silhouette,
    5.7gr Bullseye,
    8.4gr HS-6,
    8.1gr Longshot,
    7.4gr TrailBoss

Predicted max pressures for most powders were in the 9k-10k psi range except for TrailBoss which was around 12k psi. So these are pretty mild loads.

Enjoy,
    Marshall
    The Unique and Herco loads you published here might not work too well, not enough pressure to seal the cases in the cylinder. Not arguing, just saying, load no more than 5 to try them, sooty cases and inconsistent velocities may exclude these two from the pack. Maybe the HS-6 as well.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I agree with Doug. I've used Unique as well in that same charge and I came to the same conclusion as he states (for Unique). Of the two, Red Dot and Unique - Red Dot has worked the best and I have also used Green Dot. I used the data from the 3rd edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook as a guid for working up my loads. YMMV

Boolit Master
    Unique even running close to the max for standard pressure still leaves sooty cases. 14k really isnt enough to really expand a case to seal. I have been trying to find a good consistent load for a conversion cyl. Consistent is the key word. I have found plenty where the bullet comes out the end, but low velocity compared to the book or wide swings in FPS. Im going to shift to a 250gr vs 230 and try universal and True blue.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullseye does not leave sooty cases and provides much better better ballistic uniformity than Unique if seeking 800 fps revolver loads below 14,000 psi.

6 grains with Accurate 45-262H bullet is 13,600 psi, solid 10-inch test barrel velocity 914 fps ES 18 fps with SD only 7 fps for 10 shots is very good. The psi measurements were just as uniform with the time/pressure traces being very smooth. Accuracy also very good. I expect this load should give 800 +/- fps in revolvers, and is quite safe for use in “older” guns.

7.5 grains with Accurate 45-262H gave 17,700 psi, also with excellent ballistic uniformity. Estimated revolver velocity 900+ fps, is OK in modern Gen2 Colts and clones.

Links to Larry's original source test data:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...bullets-tests/

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...llets-45-colt/

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...r-level-loads/
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-25-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Lyman's 4th has the following for the RCBS 452-270SAA 270grs

Trail Boss 4.3 for 576fps @ 9000psi and 5.4 for 718fps @ 13,900psi
    Titegroup 4.4 for 692fps @ 11,400psi and 5.6 for 800fps @ 13,800psi
    Red Dot 4.4 for 667fps @ 11,000psi and 5.5 for 780fps @ 13,600psi
    N320 5.0 for 675fps @ 10,300psi and 6.3 for 813fps @ 13,800psi
    231 5.3 for 699fps @ 10,700psi and 6.7 for 817fps @ 13,900psi
    True Blue 6.2 for 693fps @ 10,800psi and 7.8 for 815fps @ 13,800psi
    Unique 5.6 for 725fps @ 11,600psi and 7.0 for 827fps @ 13,600psi
    ACC #5 6.8 for 660fps @ 9,700psi and 8.6 for 829fps @ 13,600psi

The ACC #5 max load was listed as the accuracy load
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

For what it might be worth. I've been using 7-11grs, mostly in the 8-9 range of Herco for a S&W 25-2, 45 Colt with various weight cast and jacketed loads for years. Unfortunately lost all my notes. Been more than 10 years ago I discovered a bit better shot to shot accuracy with Herco vs Unique. Can't recall the combination of bullet and powder charge but my results with a published load of 2400 were dismal at best except for the Ruger only loads in my Blackhawk.

Boolit Master

It is said that parameter for the design of the 255 grain bullet for the 45C was to shot through the horse that the indian was hiding behind and kill him if this is true what more would you want.No facts just internet BS that I have read.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I agree with Doug. I've used Unique as well in that same charge and I came to the same conclusion as he states (for Unique). Of the two, Red Dot and Unique - Red Dot has worked the best and I have also used Green Dot. I used the data from the 3rd edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook as a guid for working up my loads. YMMV
    Bedbugbilly- I am interested in your load data with 'Green Dot', I have several pounds left over from trapshooting. I have a 45 nm RBH and a RCBS 45-250fn mold coming, like to use the GD, if it will burn cleanly? Thanks, hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Ok let me throw this out. Somewhere out there is load data for a 270gr Keith style bullet for the 45 long colt. If you can find it (might be OLD load manuals, might be hodgdon or alliant load data I can't remember) I know I've seen load data all the way up to 300+ grains for the 45 long colt.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

I have pages and pages of 45 Colt loads with chrono data in my load log from 5 or 6 different 45 Colts, so I can probably help you.

I cast/shoot four bullets that weigh around 265 grs., the RCBS 45-255-FN (263 grs.), RCBS 45-255-SWC (262 grs.), Lee 45-255-RF (260 gr.) and the MP 45-270 which is a copy of the RCBS 45-270 and drops a 265 gr. bullet when the large HP pin is used.

Using 6.5 grs. of either Red Dot or 700-X has given me from 795-830 fps with most of the above bullets, and I use these loads more than any other for general shooting and really find no difference or advantage with either of the two powders. If you're looking for something a bit lighter, a nicely accurate load that runs about 750 fps or less is 5.0 grs. of Hodgdon Clays.

You don't state what kind of revolver these loads will be fired in, so velocities can vary from pistol to pistol. On that note, I've bought and sold many 45 Colts trying to find that one perfect revolver in that caliber. I recently bought what will likely be the last 45 Colt I'll ever buy. It's a USFA Rodeo and is an extremely well built revolver. The interesting thing is due to it's very small cylinder gap, velocities are quite a bit higher than they have been with any of my other 45 Colts. The Red Dot and 700-X loads I mentioned gained 80-100 fps over what they were out of a recent Cimarron Bisley.

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 03-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I use 7.5grs of Unique with bullets of that weight and get about 800-825fps from a 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk.

Closest I can find is in Ken Waters' Pet Loads. He lists a 273 grain bullet at 810 fps, using 8.0 Unique. This is classed as a Tier 1 load, suitable for the Colt SAA and clones.

I must have ten reloading manuals, and I couldn't find anything else, either. I can't imagine 10 grains of bullet weight would hurt anything, as long as you stick to mild loads for the 255 grain bullet.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I agree. I've tried several of those powders for target in the 45lc and at that slow velocity the faster powders were much cleaner. My favorite was the Red Dot/Promo load and I used data for the Lee 255 RF which dropped a little heavy but not much.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum