RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data

Thread: Any interest in a 22 caliber 65gr flat point cast bullet

Boolit Buddy

Any interest in a 22 caliber 80gr flat point cast bullet

I am thinking of trying to get a group buy for a 22 caliber 65gr flat point cast bullet, would more than likely have NOE run it but before I go thru all the steps to get it run I would like to see if or how many people are interested. This design is intended for coating and has no lube grooves, I also did it as a bevel base as I have noticed that when I size flat base bullets without grooves there is a little flashing of lead on the base after sizing, but it could also be done as a FB.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDD_225-65-LFN__65_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	188889
    Last edited by 475AR; 03-21-2017 at 07:48 PM.

I like the design but I'd like to see the bullet a little longer/heavier. Something in the 75gr/80gr range would be excellent for 1 in 9 twists or faster along with being easier to find loads that would cycle the ar's.

Just an opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I like the design but I'd like to see the bullet a little longer/heavier. Something in the 75gr/80gr range would be excellent for 1 in 9 twists or faster along with being easier to find loads that would cycle the ar's.

Just an opinion.
    That is easily done but with 150 looks and only 1 reply, I doubt it will ever see the light of day. To get NOE to run it there has to be 10+ orders for them to run them. I have no issue with heavier and will draw it up and see if anyone else would be interested.

There's just soooooo many light weight bullet molds out there for the 22cal's. Couple that with the flat based designs get flash like you said. Or the molds are .225/.226/.227 for traditional lube.

I like your bullet design with the bevel base, long body and the short thumper for a nose. Myself I'd like to see the same design but weigh 80gr and be .224 when cast from ww's in an 8-cavity mold. The 8-cavity mold would rain bullets and the .224" bullet wouldn't need sized. Simply pc and load, 1 coat of pc would make the bullet .225/.226. The heavier 80gr bullet would also be a lot easier to find loads that would cycle the ar's.

Boolit Buddy
    Here it is as an 80gr.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDD_225-80-LFN__80_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	191358

Boolit Man
    I would be interested in a 80gr. Don't know much about bullet design but would like it for AR's

Thank you for the drawing, that's an excellent design!!!!

Adding 15gr to the original bullet design is a huge improvement. The end result is a bullet that has 46% better bc than the 65gr bullet. The extra weight also helps in finding loads that will cycle the ar's.

That 80gr bullet is short enough so that 1 in 10 twists or faster twists will stabilize it @ 1000fps (subsonic). Couple that with the bevel base that makes sizing and loading a lot easier.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Thank you for the drawing, that's an excellent design!!!!

Adding 15gr to the original bullet design is a huge improvement. The end result is a bullet that has 46% better bc than the 65gr bullet. The extra weight also helps in finding loads that will cycle the ar's.

That 80gr bullet is short enough so that 1 in 10 twists or faster twists will stabilize it @ 1000fps (subsonic). Couple that with the bevel base that makes sizing and loading a lot easier.
    Thanks, now if 10 people respond they want a mold I will start a group buy @ NOE and get it run.

What is the typical cost for a mold like this?

Boolit Mold
    I would buy in. I've been looking for a heavy 223 for subsonic loads

This really is an excellent design.

I've been experimenting with swaged/coated bullets for a 1 in 9 223rem chamber and a 1 in 7 twist 556 chamber. I've tested 50gr to 100gr bullets, my swaging dies have that much adjustment to them. I found that the lead bullets were best in the 70gr to 80gr range. Here's the bullet profile I was testing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I planned on changing the nose profile on my point forming swage die to shorten the nose a little (change octive) and have a bullet with a bigger meplat. I finely got some time set aside & was just getting ready to do that when I saw this post/bullet design. All's I could think was "Darn, If I had a 5/6/7/8-cavity mold with that bullet design, I'd be making it rain bullets."

That simple bevel base design is huge!!! It's easy to have issues with the bullet bases in push thru sizing dies. That bevel base will take any issues out of play along with making seating them so much easier.

I'm not knocking other bullets/bullet designs and will say that with my own bullets pictured above that:
    When I made heavy bullets in the 80gr to 100gr range. That long nose worked against me causing accuracy issues along with stability issues. The flat base would also have issues with flash or ring marks on the bases that affected accuracy.

Anyway, hopefully this bullet goes into production. 457AR did a heck of a job with this bullet design.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    What is the typical cost for a mold like this?
    That depends on how many cavities and if brass or aluminum and if any there are any other options like HP pins and such. If we can get 10 people to commit to buying one I can talk to Al @ NOE and get a firm price. Also the more people buying the price will go down further. I have not played with doing an HP but could if there is intrest for it?

I'd be interested if it were a 6+ cavity.

Boolit Mold
    I had high hopes there'd be more interest in this one. Maybe a little bump will help it get rolling?

I would also be interested if it was 5-6 gang plus. would love 8 cavity

Boolit Mold
    I don't really know how CNC molds are cut, but since this design has no lube grooves could the same cutter (cherry?) be used to make different weights by not running it as deep? Maybe even have two cavities of 65 gr, 75 gr, and 80 grains in the same mold?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SUIScide View Post
    I don't really know how CNC molds are cut, but since this design has no lube grooves could the same cutter (cherry?) be used to make different weights by not running it as deep? Maybe even have two cavities of 65 gr, 75 gr, and 80 grains in the same mold?
    That would depend on the mold maker if a cherry was used cold probably do it but if cnc is used then they would have to have a program for each weight.
    As for # of cavities 5 is about tops for most mold makers. Could someone do 8 or more cavities maybe but it would be expensive.