RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: BUBBA, Don't Do That! BUBBA! BUBBA!!! Tooooooooo Late!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

BUBBA, Don't Do That! BUBBA! BUBBA!!! Tooooooooo Late!!!!

Saving a 6" 1911 barrel from the dremel tool of "Bubba!"

This barrel suffered from someone taking the feed ramp to the extreme, and grinding it so far forward it couldn't support the brass where the web thins, making it VERY dangerous to shoot.

A collar was made in the lathe that fit snugly, this served as a heatsink to draw the heat of welding away from the barrel, and also a dam to let weld metal build up while preventing the thin edges from melting away as weld was applied. Machining this back down after welding, re-reaming the chamber, beveling and polishing the newly welded feed ramp, then finally throating and crowning the barrel. This should be putting the fear of God in every fly closer than 50yds when it goes to the range!

Barrel clamped in collar in vise:

Showing where one Mr. Bubba took off WAY too much of the feed ramp, this area will be filled in with weld and reshaped back to a smooth usable feed ramp:

After welding (sorry about the crappy phone pic)

This is the finished and polished feed ramp, the collar was machined off, the welded end of the chamber was machined back to it's original length, the chamber was then re-chambered with a Manson finishing reamer just to clean up and smooth up the welded area inside:

The barrel was then crowned with a precision cut 20 degree angle and polished:

And finally for the finishing touch, the barrel was throated with enough .4525" freebore to plunk any style of boolit, loaded as long as it would still feed through the magazine, this one will shoot lights out with no leading and no failures to feed of any kind..

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

WOW, great job! I think I may have a welding job for you.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Doug, that is impressive work! My hat off to you,sir! Sometimes the urge to "improve " something has not good results. Nice job!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned
    WOW!!! I'm scratching my head wondering how Bubba could flack up something as simple as polishing the feed ramp. I guess that's what happens when you mix moonshine and power tools. Good Job fixing Bubba's flack up.

In Remembrance
    It is amazing the expertise to be found on this forum. My hat's off to you ladies and gents. Pass on those skill to the upcoming youngsters. Many, many, many, years of hands on work to learn IF you got the talent for it. Keep it coming folks. Iron Whittler

Impressive.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Impressive.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    WOW!!! I'm scratching my head wondering how Bubba could flack up something as simple as polishing the feed ramp. I guess that's what happens when you mix moonshine and power tools. Good Job fixing Bubba's flack up.
    Mistook it for a feed ramp problem when it was really due to something else, probably. Been there, done that, although it was in ways that could cost me nothing but money.

For the person who is limited to welding, filing and polishing, and has a different kind of heat sink in operation, the use of a piece of titanium instead of that collar should let him our of machining it away.

Nicely done, Doug!

Boolit Buddy

Maybe background checks should be done for Dremel tool purchases.