RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private gun sale question

Boolit Master

Private gun sale question

How do you make sure a firearm is not stolen? And what happens if your gun show find turns out to be stolen 5 years down the road?

Boolit Buddy
    you should be able to call the local sheriff's office and ask to see if a 'serial number' is reported stolen, they should be able to assist with that.

generally asking for some ID to look at when purchasing from another person is a good idea. Usually to make sure it's a local (state) sale is a fair request. Those peddling "hot" merchandise generally don't want to show any. (not that you have to record it or anything)

if you're worried 5 yrs from now that you'll find out it's stolen, don't buy it, or go through and FFL and pay the fee.

He gave you good advise IMO.

It is what I would do. Or I would just keep it and keep my head down.

Boolit Master

Get a copy of his drivers license and a bill of sale. Also get a serial number and ask your sheriff to run the S/N.

In Arizona the Pawn Shop's are required to run the Serial number's - you could go that route maybe...
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

An acquaintance told me that he once ended up with a stolen gun. He went to sell it at a gun shop and it turned up hot. He had bought it several years earlier from a buddy who was completely trustworthy. Turns out his buddy had bought it from some guy at a garage sale or something. I don't remember how it all worked out, but I think somehow he was the one that was out when they turned it in to the police.

I keep hoping that someday my old S&W 29 that was stolen in '99 will turn up. Not likely at this point. I just hope it's either at the bottom of a lake or in someone's safe, rather than floating around in the underworld, carried by some dirtbag.

Boolit Grand Master

That's the best that happens your out the price of the firearm when its turned in. worst case is receiving stolen property and defending yourself in court. Get a receipt with sellers Name price description and serial number along with a signature. If any question I would have sheriff run the serial number for me before purchase to be safe.

In Remembrance
    I bought a browning highpower in Orange Texas, that had been stolen in Oregon. I kept it 9 years without thinking anything about it and traded it to a deputy sheriff in New Mexico, who ran the numbers and found out it was stolen.
    Insurance had paid for it 9 years before, and the insurance just gave it to him, so he wasn't out anything.

Boolit Master
    Look at dr. lic. of person selling. Have them write a receipt with addy and phone number, and sign it and then I sign it below say I bought it on said date. If its a dealer I know I just take it, most have checked.

If they find out there's a problem they go back to seller.

Boolit Master

ON the bill of sale get it signed by a Notary
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Check the serial number here before you buy:
    http://www.hotgunz.com
    Keep moving forward!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    ON the bill of sale get it signed by a Notary
    How many people take a notary public with them to buy a gun?

If the notary is not present for the signature being made...they will not notarize it.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 02-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Check the serial number here before you buy:
    http://www.hotgunz.com
    Thanks! That is a useful link!

Boolit Grand Master

I won't give anybody that is not a FFL a copy of my drivers license. I will give them a copy of my CCW and show them my drivers so they can confirm who I am with a picture. Do not give any random person a copy of your Drivers License.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I don't give my personal information and I have never asked for any at a gun show or auction/estate sale. I don't intend to make the process any more complicated than buying the gun. If it turns out to be stolen, then I will lose the firearm. I'm not scared or worried.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I don't give my personal information and I have never asked for any at a gun show or auction/estate sale. I don't intend to make the process any more complicated than buying the gun. If it turns out to be stolen, then I will lose the firearm. I'm not scared or worried.
    In PA that stolen gun, if you don't have proof of how you got it, makes it hard for you to defend yourself. If I buying a gun at show and have no idea of who the person is I get information and receipt.

Banned

One of the many reasons to live in what is rightly called Real America. We don't have to run scared. Our freedom is at the maximum level. Thank God
    Last edited by jmort; 02-25-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    OMG! Ya'll sell the guns you buy
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    One of the many reasons to live in what has rightly called Real America. We don't have to run scared. Thank God
    Originally Posted by jmort

So Felons can buy and sell Guns in your state. No tracking on stolen guns. You get a stolen gun from another State. Your toast, this is not freedom is at the maximum level. Its lawlessness

There is no federal waiting period. Federal law allows a dealer to deliver a firearm to a purchaser as soon as a background check is completed, or after three business days even if a background check has not been completed.
    Last edited by DCP; 02-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

Yes
    I don't know
    Disagree
    You should visit, you might like it.
    Now that you have the vapors, in every state felons illeglly buy and sell firearms. If they do it here, and they are caught, then they pay the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast