Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Turret Press... is it crazy to want to make one.....

Turret Press... is it crazy to want to make one.....

OK. So first off the dims and all are in the playing around stage I have not done any math ect. Basically turret is 12 maybe 15 hole standard 7/8 dies and or 1-1/2 dies like the Hollywood's. Turret head is huge about 12" and the ram is I believe 1-1/4" not sure on shell holders. I will probably draw in the Herter's style so it is close on the same scale. The stroke on it is long enough to do 50 cal I think too. Basically its just gigantic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigfoot-press.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	188831

Like all crazy ideas most likely will not get made. time, money, resources, ect will not permit it but it could be fun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danomano View Post
    Like all crazy ideas most likely will not get made. time, money, resources, ect will not permit it but it could be fun!
    If you have the time and the skills I don't think it's crazy. As good a project as any.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Well not if it works it isn't. Only a waste of time if it fails to function AND you don't learn anything in the process.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Ask Randy. He just got through designing and producing a press.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    It is a great idea. The H style press is the easiest to make and there are a lot of homemede one out there. Turret presses are a lot more complicated, but not out of the reach of a good machinest. I say go for it.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Can you use a 8 hole trailer hub and re-bore??

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs...FQuQaQodDjsM1Q

Try to find a used one, or pay full price and save the machining on the turret
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds good to me. I think the hardest part would be insuring each die station lines up with the ram, to less than a few thousandths....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Sounds good to me. I think the hardest part would be insuring each die station lines up with the ram, to less than a few thousandths....
    use a detent ball and spring....like lyman does.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    They make a rotary table for exactly this job. You clamp the rotary table to your milling machine table, clamp the round blank to the rotary, and you can bore holes to a .001" tolerance; or smaller. There are a bunch of steps I didn't give, but I hope you get the idea.

I did something similar 15 years ago. My BMW bike had a very heavy flywheel as standard equipment. For increased performance and an improvement of shift quality, it's routine to pull the trans, unbolt the flywheel, and bore equally spaced holes in the flywheel. I removed almost 5 pounds in chips.

The holes need to be evenly spaced so you don't throw off the balance of something spinning 7500rpm. It was about a $250 job to send out the flywheel, I had all the tools so it was DIY.

Thanks for the feedback guys! It will have detent balls like the Herters and Hollywood turrets, I have both so inspiration is easy. Well if I do go down this path in x years I will do a build thread. It will be fun!
    Thanks!

Frosted Boolits

If i didn't have so many other projects and more time id be all over this.... lol
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

^ LOL I know what you mean about other projects! I have a 6 month old boy, he is great but does not leave me much time.

I'd use a shafting called nitro shaft. It's very hard and strong, and the nitro coating is insanely hard. Not that it needs it, but it's cool stuff. Of course it might be a challenge to bore a through hole if you want hollow.