Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubricating 310 expander plug

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Well, I finally got back to working on the 50 old 30-06 brass that was given to me, and couldn't pull the resizing plug out of. I annealed the entire stack of brass, cleaned them in my vibratory Lyman 1200 case cleaner with walnut media, cleaned the last bit of black stain off the outside of the cases with 4/0 steel wool, and then went to resizing and reloading. And guess what? The annealing did the trick. It made both resizing the case neck much easier, and allowed me to use motor mica applied with a brush inside the case neck, and the resizing plug went in and out with very little force. Although more then sizing a bullet. So the annealing was the trick to using my 310 tool to reload 30-06 casings. So now that I know how to use one of these 310 tools, should I collect another one? Or two or three?
    One set is never enough!!! You will need a set for every caliber for which you have a gun, then will buy sets you find at good prices so you can buy guns in those calibers as well. It's truly a slippery slope, my friend. Don't ask me how I know these things.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    One set is never enough!!! You will need a set for every caliber for which you have a gun, then will buy sets you find at good prices so you can buy guns in those calibers as well. It's truly a slippery slope, my friend. Don't ask me how I know these things.

Froggie
    Ok, here is my next question then. I see advertised on our favorite auction forum some 222 Remington die sets. They look to be adjustable enough to also do 223 Remington. Will the 222 Remington sets of dies also do 223 Remington? I don't have a listing of dies for the 223 Remington in my Ideal No. 39 Handbook for some reason. Also I see both 5 die sets for rifles and 4 die sets with a smaller diameter threaded rod holding the decapper rod. In these 4 die sets is there a combination decapping rod/resizing plug or neck sizing die/decapping rod? Or is there just a die missing on these 4 die sets shown for sale?

Boolit Buddy
    Don, Are the 4 dies sets you are seeing happen to be straight wall pistol calibers?
    And BTW a typewriter ribbon tin is about 1/2 the diameter of a shoe polish tin.. Ever seen one of those ?? lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc-okc View Post
    Don, Are the 4 dies sets you are seeing happen to be straight wall pistol calibers?
    And BTW a typewriter ribbon tin is about 1/2 the diameter of a shoe polish tin.. Ever seen one of those ?? lol
    No, they are bottle necked rifle dies. So, I assume to have a complete set of dies for these bottle necked rifle cases they were and are always in 5-die sets? Of course the oldest set I have don't even have screw in dies. But unfortunately they don't fit the converted cases I am using nor the bullet I have a mold for so I can't either seat properly or crimp the cases so it doesn't do me any good. So I bought a more modern tool that has a screw-in single die. So now I can adjust it to seat the bullet from the mold I have but can't crimp it because of the lack of case length. So thats when I bought a more modern caliber with a 5-die set to find out how they were supposed to work. But I can't find the extra dies now that I need to screw into that old one in 32-40. I can cap and decap on there, and seat bullets with an adjustable seater die, but I can't neck size, expand the neck or adjust the crimp. And as for a "shoe polish tin", I think my older brother got a tin like that with his "Buster Brown Shoes".

Boolit Grand Master
    DonMountain, are you saying you need a 32-40 die set, or that you have a set of 32-40 handles that you wish to use with other, similar-sized (case body) cartridges? For instance, those handles will work with 25-35, 30-30, 32 Spl, and 38-55 since all are the same size at base and rim.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    DonMountain, are you saying you need a 32-40 die set, or that you have a set of 32-40 handles that you wish to use with other, similar-sized (case body) cartridges? For instance, those handles will work with 25-35, 30-30, 32 Spl, and 38-55 since all are the same size at base and rim. Froggie

I have a set of steel, 32-40 M handles with chrome finish, that also has the separate lead projectile swaging die with the push-through rod, and the separate priming hole with primer punch. I also have the original depriming rod that fits in the single-adjustable bullet seating die. So, I can decap and recap the 32-40 cases, and I can seat projectiles in the cases, but I don't have the dies to: resize the case mouth, expand the resized case mouth, or seat the projectile with an adjustable stem and adjust the crimping location. This is a problem with the RCBS bullet die I have that doesn't quite fit the 32-40 crimping location correctly, but the short converted 30-30 cases work well in my rifle. It just doesn't allow me to use the old Ideal reloading tool on them correctly and to form a complete usable case. I would like to find a number 28 muzzle resizer die and a number 28 double adjustable chamber die with maybe the 232 bullet seating plug, and the .319 expanding plug with appropriate die.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 03-30-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12