Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digital scale drift

Banned

^^^ This
    Completely agree

Perma-Banned
    My digital works AMAZING to sit down and weigh 150 Of my Cast bullets at a time, i am picky with my bullets, after a pour each one gets weighed, i only keep them that weigh 1 grain apart, 1/10 over and they go back in the melt. I couldn't imagine doing this quantity of bullet weighing with my Beam scale, it would be a major PITA! As i said i keep a certified check weight by the digital, after weighing a half dozen or so bullets etc. i put the check weight on, so far so good 4-5 years and stil going. The digital has its place for me, but NOTHING will take place of my RCBS 10-10 for weighing powder charges

Boolit Buddy
    I use a digital scale - but on set up and periodically verify the charges on my redding balance scale.

Call in paranoia

Boolit Master
    Ballistic Products sent me an e-mail claiming they just upgraded their electronic scale. Their scales are sold by a number of other reloading suppliers because it's good. I periodically check mine with the supplied test weight and my RCBS test weights I bought for my balance beam scale.

In Remembrance

Of all my scales- Redding #1, RCBS 505 and 1010, Lyman D-7, Dillion electronic scale, Hornady dispenser with scale I rely on and trust the 505 and D-7. I retired the Reddings years back, all the rest of the scales are several 10ths off sooner or later during the loading job. My Dillion and the Hornady both recommend a 15 minute warm up.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have a good beam scale for cross checking. The two digitals do 98% of the work.
    There is a saying that a man with 1 watch knows the time, and a man with 2 watches never knows the time.

Thats the problem with 2 digital scales I figure the beam scale over rules.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bkbville View Post
    There is a saying that a man with 1 watch knows the time, and a man with 2 watches never knows the time.

Thats the problem with 2 digital scales I figure the beam scale over rules.
    Time to post this again... I passed a shiny new dime around to all my friends to weigh on their scale. Here are the results:

34.4 Dillon electronic
    34.5 Lyman beam
    34.5 Redding beam
    34.5 PACT electronic
    34.6 Dillon beam
    34.7 RCBS beam

So which one do you suppose is right?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned

The U.S. Mint says new dime weighs 35.000589 grains
    My cheap-**** digital says 35.0
    I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere

The following table gives specifications for The United States Mint legal tender coins presently in production for United States Mint Annual Sets.

Denomination Cent Nickel Dime Quarter Dollar Half Dollar Presidential $1 Native American $1 Coin
    Composition Copper Plated Zinc

2.5% Cu
    Balance Zn Cupro-Nickel

25% Ni
    Balance Cu Cupro-Nickel

8.33% Ni
    Balance Cu Cupro-Nickel

8.33% Ni
    Balance Cu Cupro-Nickel

8.33% Ni
    Balance Cu Manganese-Brass

88.5% Cu
    6% Zn
    3.5% Mn
    2% Ni Manganese-Brass

88.5% Cu
    6% Zn
    3.5% Mn
    2% Ni
    Weight 2.500 g 5.000 g 2.268 g 5.670 g 11.340 g 8.1 g 8.1 g
    Diameter 0.750 in.
    19.05 mm 0.835 in.
    21.21 mm 0.705 in.
    17.91 mm 0.955 in.
    24.26 mm 1.205 in.
    30.61 mm 1.043 in.
    26.49 mm 1.043 in.
    26.49 mm
    Thickness 1.52 mm 1.95 mm 1.35 mm 1.75 mm 2.15 mm 2.00mm 2.00 mm
    Edge Plain Plain Reeded Reeded Reeded Edge-Lettering Edge-Lettering
    No. of Reeds N/A N/A 118 119 150 N/A N/A

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Gem Pro scales 250 series if I remember correctly. Its always been spot on to the check weights. A scales like any precision measuring insterment needs to be checked and calibrated periodically to remain at its best. I also use my check weights sets as shops use gage blocks. stacking them up to make the charge weight I'm throwing and checking the scales there to be sure. Even beam scales need to be checked occasionally for accuracy due to wear or dust in the knife bearings.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried a "nice" digital powder scale (in grains) several years ago, Jennings I believe. It worked fine for a month or so (less than 1,000 weighs) but soon needed to be "tared" every time I removed the scale, and checked for zero often. I re-calibrated it a few times (following directions to the "T"). Eventually it refused any "taring", "resetting" or calibrating. Could not reach any form of customer service so, $120.00 gone. No fluorescent lighting, no power lines near, no wild swings of temp., no low batteries, no power fluctuation. Went back to my Lyman/Ohaus D5 and Lee PPM for good, easy, accurate weights.

Found a deal on a Frankfort Arsenal digital scale mebbe a year ago ($17.00) and figgered it might be OK for weighing bullets, brass, etc. so I got it. I have found it is consistent, and is about .1 gr. lighter, different than my bean scales, across the board.

Just my experience, but I stayed away from digital scales for about 8 years and I still don't completely trust some numbers appearing on a display, seemingly at random, over my tried and true beam scales...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    They need to make a 5 or 10gr check weight. check a scale with a 500gr weight does me no good when my average charge is 4gr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have a good beam scale for cross checking. The two digitals do 98% of the work.

I could get by without the beam scale by using check weights but would never ditch the digitals.

Boolit Mold
    My Hornady scale (40$) does drift. After zero and calibration I write down the number put pan on zero and write the number without pan. And keep tabs on where it's at ever 5-9th round. If it drifts to much I zero and look at the numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    They need to make a 5 or 10gr check weight. check a scale with a 500gr weight does me no good when my average charge is 4gr.
    You need to check a scale across it's entire range. I get your point. But if the scale is inaccurate at any point in its range then it's skewed. A 10gr check weight might be spot on. Throw on a 500gr and it's 20gr off.

Banned

^^^ makes sense

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The U.S. Mint says new dime weighs 35.000589 grains
    My cheap-**** digital says 35.0
    I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere
    I didn't make it, I just weighed it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned

You sure about that???

Are the readings repeatable? If you put a weight on, get a reading, take the weight off, put the weight back on; has the reading changed? If so you could have a friction issue, something rubbing. Of the readings do not stabilize you could have an insect problem. Ask me how I learned that one. Many things could cause a problem, just need to start eliminating possibilities.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Time to post this again... I passed a shiny new dime around to all my friends to weigh on their scale. Here are the results:

34.4 Dillon electronic
    34.5 Lyman beam
    34.5 Redding beam
    34.5 PACT electronic
    34.6 Dillon beam
    34.7 RCBS beam

So which one do you suppose is right?
    The one that was calibrated properly and then checked with an accurate test weight.

Banned
    I calibrated both RCBS scales one a 5-0-5 the other a 5-0-2 both show 34.3 with a 2015 dime. So, how much do the dimes vary?

Banned

Dimes must vary in weight if we are getting varience in weight for new coins. I have always used new nickels as "check weights" as they are supposed to be 5 grams on the nose. 77.1618 grains
    https://www.usmint.gov/about_the_min...specifications

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast