MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice between Winchester 1894 & 1892 in 45 Colt.

Boolit Master

Choice between Winchester 1894 & 1892 in 45 Colt.

I own a Winchester 1895 but really not familiar with 1894's or 1892's. I always thought that the Winchester 1894 was for smokeless powder rifle length cartridges, like the 30-30 and the 1892 was for pistol length cartridges. However, I picked up a 1894 AE with a 16" barrel and color case hardened receiver in 45 Colt. It was just too pretty to resist.

What's the good and the bad of the 1894 vs the 1892 in a pistol caliber? The action is totally different...even though they are different, aren't they pretty much the same? Similar size, same strength, same throw...etc, etc...

I'm confused why they would even make a 1894 in 45 Colt.
    [

Boolit Man
    Because they didn't make the '92 after about 1945 therefore no option. The '92 is the better pistol caliber rifle, '94's can be hit or miss on feeding short cartridges.

Boolit Master
    I'm hoping my 94 is more hit than miss as it's in 45 Colt. I have a Pedersoli Colt Lightning, also in 45 Colt. It functions flawlessly. I do wish it would let me slam fire it.
    [

021 hit the nail on head. The '92 is made for the short pistol cartridges.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post

I'm confused why they would even make a 1894 in 45 Colt.
    That makes two of us.
    BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Banned

they made them in 44 and 357 too. [I have had all three, I'm down to just the 44 now]
    Winchester still makes the 92, they cost about 1200$ American dollars.

the model 94's have shallow rifling and tend to run large in their bore diameters.
    but they will shoot.
    don't be too surprised to have to use a 454 diameter for better results.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Model 94 I have in .357 likes looong cartridges. The longer they are, the better it feeds.

Robert

Rossi 1892s are great if you want a pistol cartridge carbine. I used a couple in cowboy action shooting and they are super reliable. Put a Gunslinger spring kit in and they really smooth out.

I had a couple of Winchester 1894s in 357 and 44mag and sold them. The Rossis are better IMO in those calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have at least one Rossi 45 Colt still after several. But if you can find one of the older Pumas or the Interarms (2 up north there) imported Rossi rifles go for those. They will cost near as much as a new Rossi 45 Colt but I still think they were better made.
    The Rossi line are as strong as the old Winchester 92 which never was made in 45 Colt. But the 44 WCF made in the original Winchesters with a 240 grainer is nothing to sneeze about. Have several of those and they will "thwap" with authority what ever gets in the sights. The 44 WCF can be loaded near to 44 Mag velocities (use Starline brass) in the Win. 92's in the "smokeless" models with no fear.
    MIke in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

My brother in law bought an old Rossi in 45 Colt. Darn thing spit in your face. He sold it. Heard later that he was using too light of loads that were not sealing the chamber. Anyway that was the first rifle I had seen do that.

DP

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the model 94's have shallow rifling and tend to run large in their bore diameters.
    but they will shoot.
    don't be too surprised to have to use a 454 diameter for better results.
    Mine (2000 vintage Winchester) is large in the chamber, but the bore is pretty standard (.450/.451)

Don't be afraid to try running .457 through them when using plain based cast. A good use for those light-weight 45/70 bullet designs (e.g. 457122, 457191) in molds that throw too small for 45/70 chambers.

-ktw

Win/Miroku 92 are the best of 92's IMO. I use a Accurate Mold 300 gr. @ .456, it chambers and shoots excellent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0299.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I HAD a couple Winchester 1894s in .357 Mag and .45 Colt, then bought the Rossi 1892s in same calibers. The Winchesters shot equally well as the Rossi's do, but the Rossi's feed smoothly. The Winchesters would feed some loads, on some days great, but then refuse to every now and then, just often enough to get annoying. I still have the Rossi's, but sold the two Winchesters. Mow before you get the idea that I don't like Winchester 1894s, I have a couple of them in .30-30, and they will always have a home here, but the 1894 action just was never intended to use a short cartridge. It's like building a .223 on a .30-06 action, and even though you get the right bolt face, chamber and barrel, and it works, it just never feels or feeds "right". I hope that makes sense.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Choice between Winchester 1894 & 1892 in 45 Colt.

The 92 is the better pistol caliber action. Some 94s run okay with pistol rounds but it really is better suited to rifle rounds.

The 94s in pistol calibers I have handled seem to have a "clunky" action if that makes any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 02-24-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Banned

I should have typed groove and not bore diameter.
    the 44 mag 94 and the Browning 92 in 44 mag is what got me into swaging.
    the Browning needed a shorter oal, and the 94 wanted a bit bigger diameter.
    I solved both problems by having a 4305 jacketed rnfp point form die made up.
    I just put the cannelure short enough for the Browning's OAL and run the larger diameter in both.

it also works out for the 44-40 since I can gently squeeze the 428 diameter 200gr mold I have up to 430 and it loves the larger diameter.

Super Moderator

The above is my Rossi/Puma M92 rifle in 45 Colt. Even though it has a 32" twist it does a fine job with the Lee 457=340F I size to .456". The bore and groove in the rifle is .446" x .450" so it's tight with shallow grooves.

Also have the above Win/Miroku M92 in 45 Colt. While it's barrel is perfect at .443" x .451" it has the 16" pistol twist. Truth be told it is not much more accurate then the Rossi, if it is at all.

...........Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 02-28-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Anyone have experience with this place? http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/Home.htm

It seems they make (or market) an incredible amount of parts for lever guns...many of them improved.
    http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1897.htm
    "This is the carrier for the Winchester model 94 POST 64 angle/side and top eject 44 mag and 45LC. They are extremely well made from 4140 alloy steal (which is hardened). They are NOT the stamped carriers. These carriers are improved versions of the originals. They are CNC machined here in the US. (The originals have a number of design flaws that make them very prone to breaking)"
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    My brother in law bought an old Rossi in 45 Colt. Darn thing spit in your face. He sold it. Heard later that he was using too light of loads that were not sealing the chamber. Anyway that was the first rifle I had seen do that.

DP
    My Rossi 45 does that also. I shot it a lot in Cow boy action shoots. I was shooting a 230 gr lee round nose over 6 gr bullseye and it spit a lot. I went to 6.5 gr and that helped a lot. With my 255 gr Lyman RNFP it never spit no mater how light my loads were.

Boolit Master
    A few years ago my neighbor bought one of the expensive Winchester 92's in 45 LC for about 1/2 list price via CDNN Sports. they are a clearing house, so no steady inventory.
    However, both CDNN and Davidson's have Winchester 73's in 45LC in stock.
    Last edited by Norske; 02-26-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I had a 94AE in 45 colt. Although it fed and shot fine I never did like the feel. It was far from smooth and I agree, just had a clunky feel to it. I much prefer the '92 for pistol caliber.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast