Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your cornbread !

Boolit Master

My mother would bake a pan of cornbread for us and the dogs. cat head biscuits and other yummies for the people.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

I like to have it with chili , or with red beans and it's a must have with greens (you need to be Southern to enjoy greens) with smoked ham hock !

My dear mother would put chunks of cornbread in a big glass , fill it with buttermilk and eat it with a spoon. As a boy I would watch her enjoy it and think that must taste soooo gooood, but to my amazement it was not to my liking...I still find buttermilk nasty and this is from someone that enjoy's potted meat !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    I like cornbread in a big bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo. If there's no cornbread, then a big spoon of potato salad works too.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Cornbread is one of those foods you eat in things with food, or just by itself. That said I like mine made with bacon drippings in the batter an cooked in the old iron skillet..

Moderator Emeritus

Well, there IS no "wrong way" to eat cornbread, at least that I've ever found. Mostly, it'll all depend on what kind of mood I'm in, I think. If I'm really hungry, I'll usually crumble some up in my soup or stew, just to "enrich" it a bit, AND have some on the side with butter. Now, I can't eat nearly as much of it as I'd love to, but what I DO eat is appreciated like never before. I'm just glad to still be here TO enjoy the pleasure of it, and all else.

And I'm assuming you're talking about the "pan type" here. I also love what we call "lacey cornbread" too. I don't think there IS a way to make corn meal taste anything but scruptous, is there?

Boolit Buddy
    Eat on the side with some butter

I bake mine in a cast iron skillet and take a small piece of paper towel and coat the bottom and sides of the skillet with butter. It never sticks.
    I like to put a little jalapeno in it, the sliced rings that come in jars from companies like Star, etc. I cut the rings up a bit into about quarters.
    Then, I take a slice and cut it open face on a plate and put the beans or chili on top. Be sure to put some of the juice on as well. I use the cornbread recipe on the Alber's cornmeal box.
    Attachment 189041
    Don't drool on the computer screen!
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 02-25-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Add pic.

Boolit Grand Master
    I put chili over it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Boy you all sure know how to make a guy hungry. And I just got done eatin supper too! I like my cornbread slightly over done so it has a crispy top and bottom. I like it with butter and I eat it in the beans and along side. If any is left I like to crumble it up in some milk. when I was younger I liked to give it a spritz of salt when in the milk. I don't do that any more.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned

not much on yellow corn bread (cake) myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Throw the Cornbread away and eat the bowl of soup, stew, or beans. Cornbread is something i never could get a liking for? My Grandmother made it all the time, everyone that ate my Grandma's Cornbread loved it, except me! I did have some in Jail one time that was pretty darn good, it was sweet

Boolit Master

I eat the leftovers overs with home made honey butter.

This puts me in mind of the tale related by the late, great author of Southern Civil War lore, Shelby Foote. He said that the Southern soldier's usual daily ration was corn meal and bacon, from which they made "plonk." The bacon was fried until every last bit of grease was extracted, and the grease was then mixed with the cornmeal which made kind of a thick, greasy cornmeal cake that made a "plonk" noise when it hit their metal plate. The soldiers came to like it so much that there was an incident when Gen. Lee ordered the mess wagons to set up in a rest area and provide normal hot meals. Apparently some of the soldiers rioted and destroyed the wagons because they wanted their plonk.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    The need for something bacon flavored will do that to a person .
    No turning back , No turning back !

All of the above and I like to dip it in buttermilk.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I have 2 Lodge cast iron cornbread skillets baking in the oven right now. We're going to have it with home-made soup for dinner tonight ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Growing up, I didn't know you could eat corn bread without butter and molasses. I see people putting it in soup or beans and I think they are breaking the law.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes in chili, but otherwise on the side with butter and strawberry jam!!! Grandad liked it in what he called "sweet milk" aka whole milk and Grandmother liked it in buttermilk. Buttermilk in cooking is good, but by itself---no way!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I just try to get it out if the pan. Always sticks and leaves a mess. I don't think I have ever got a piece out of any kind of baking dish whole without the bottom sticking.
    Parchment paper. Inexpensive and works perfectly.

Boolit Mold
    Still warm, crumbled into a bowl with sweet milk (as opposed to buttermilk. I feel a bit like a traitor to my heritage, but just never could hack the stuff). The yellow, sweet kind? Never knew it existed until I was grown. Not bad, but not what I think of as cornbread.

Boolit Master
    How to eat cornbread?Open mouth,insert and chew,then swallow.I wash it down with ice cold buttermilk.As far as sticking in the pan,I use whatever oven safe utensil I have handy,lost all my CI cook wear in a house fire back in 1988.I spray it with some product like Pam or whatever is handy.Never had it stick yet.As far as what to put on it?Butter,honey,molasses,
    home made preserves or what ever strikes your fancy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast