Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Thank you Mr. Boddington

In Remembrance

Thank you Mr. Boddington

New March issue of NRA mag. `Rifleman`. Craig reviewed the .400 H&H round in a Dakota rifle. Being as the rifle round is basically a .375 H&H opened up to .416" he had a photo line up of other .416 rounds. Be still beating heart he included a photo of my favorite round the .416 Taylor! Although he didn`t discuss it in the article he had before written about an African hunt with it and his like of it. This round is a semi-well kept secrect.Robert

You should probably write or e-mail the Rifleman and express your like of the cartridge and approval of the article.

Boolit Master

Never owned a 416 taylor but the cartridge has always intrigued me. Better sectional density than the 458 win mag. with most bullet weights. Should be little nicer on recoil also. The full house 400 j's are probably a little much for critters on this side of the world but the thought crossed my mind when I was invited on a Brown bear hunt.

In Remembrance

For any other critter that wouldn`t have you as a snack or stomp on you like a bug, I`ve found that for a `J` bullet that won`t break your bank it is the Speer 350 gr. For a cast bullet look at the list of Accurates offerings including the PP model I helped make a reality. A 345 gr. GG that I use alot now is about all that is needed for deer family and black bear family members demise. Not a bad idea of sending a note to the NRA.Robert

I want a .416 Taylor. It just seems right and will fit in a Mauser 98. I remember reading that Winchester made one or two for someone. Maybe Taylor? Best, Thomas.

In Remembrance

As the story goes 3 firearm companies Remington, Winchester and Ruger were thinking of making it legit in production arms. Proto types were made for it and just as suddenly it was dropped with the sudden influx of Mega .416`s from all corners. A good Mauser, 1917 Enfield or any sporter factory arm with a mag history will make up into a nice Taylor. Myself, I reworked a .300 Win. Mag. Model 70. All that I needed to do was add an additional recoil lug, glass bed the action and of course do a Shilen barrel trade. I Magna-Ported the muzzle and it seems to make it a bit more managable with a heavy load. It is very accurate with the RCBS 350 gr. mold, I had my mold HP`ed and it can do serious damage at lower velocities or I put the HP plug back in and have solids again.Robert

How does the recoil compare to .375 H&H and the .458 Win with African loads? I have limited experience with those. Niether was as bad as a 8mm Rem Mag in my opinion. Best, Thomas.

In Remembrance

Even with using 400 gr. Barnes banded solids the recoil is less than the .458 by a good margin. Another favorite `J` bullet of mine is the Barnes 350 copper `X` bullets, but are kinda costly (I`m retired you see) which is why I went to the Speer and was very surprised by how it performed. To give you an idea of penatration this round has I once got for trial some swaged bullets made from 9mm brass and lead filled. They weighed nearly 400 gr. so I loaded them to what a 400 gr. Barnes `X` bullet load was. At 100 yds from a rest shooting at a penatration test wood box filled with soggy papers and cardboard I fired 3 shots from a bench rest. The average for the 3 shots was 23` of penatrating! Not bad for a 9 case with a core. They all mushroomed nearly perfectly and were sent back with my testing results and photos. Did I mention the first board on the box they hit was a 2"x12" pine board? If I was being told this I`d be rolling up my pant legs, but this is a true account. As far as recoil goes I`d compare the 350 gr. lead loads to about a 20 gauge 3" field load, the 400 gr. solid load was a 12 gauge 3 1/2 goose load type feel. My problem that I have every time I give someone a try with the rifle and a few lead loads is getting the rifle away from them! The grin on their faces is simply priceless. The Wife of a friend weighs about 115 lb. soaking wet yet she enjoys shooting the Taylor when they are over with no complaints. If you can try shooting one I think you`ll understand why I like this rifle/cartridge combo.Robert

Boolit Master
    I love the looks of a big bores business end but I am rapidly turning into a recoil wusss! I will enjoy the gun with you fellows telling about it!
    Look twice, shoot once.