MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Plumber lead

Plumber lead

I had a friend bring me a bunch of lead from where they tore a bunch of old buildings down. He said this was all under the toilets and he brought maybe 100 # of this stuff. I assume this is pure lead because it is very soft. Where can I find a formula to make this good for bullets. Is this any good for this or is it just sinker weight ? He is supposed to bring me a lot more.

Best lead alloy calculator I've found. Put in the weight of whatever alloys you have, and read the percent of lead, antimony, and tin at the bottom.

Edit: Removed incorrect link.
    Last edited by Phlier; 02-22-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I was browsing this thread. Clicked on the link and it said I needed access. I requested access.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators

I use this calculator. (link at bottom of first post).

But if you got soft lead, you can always sell that or trade it for COWW or even mixed alloy. Pure is harder to get than COWW lead.
    Anyway, that's one option if you want harder lead for your boolits.

Happy shooting!
    Chuck.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Best lead alloy calculator I've found. Put in the weight of whatever alloys you have, and read the percent of lead, antimony, and tin at the bottom.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=808458930
    Hmm.. apparently, when you open the public version, it'll copy that version to your own private gmail/google account as a private document. I'll see if I can find the link to the public document, but I'm not sure I can... I did find it here on the forums, though.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master

Pure lead is always best, you can always alloy to Lyman #2 and shoot pistol thru mid magnum rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    A pound of tin added to 40 pounds of your pure will give a good alloy for standard velocity revolver boolits. a 50-50 split with wheel weight metal and 2% tin will also give a good pistol alloy. For Magnum loads or rifles, one part pure to one part Monotype works well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    But if you got soft lead, you can always sell that or trade it for COWW or even mixed alloy. Pure is harder to get than COWW lead.
    Anyway, that's one option if you want harder lead for your boolits.

Happy shooting!
    Chuck.
    I find the opposite is true. I can hit the scrap yards and pick up pure lead almost any day. Finding COWW is much harder around here. I hit five shops last week and got less than a gallon of mixed weights. I did receive 3.5 buckets in a trade. I have a line on maybe three more buckets. I could have almost 2 tons of pure lead tomorrow.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Banned

look up a post by Bumpo and use his alloy calculator.
    it isn't perfect since lead has a bhn number of 8 to begin with but the end numbers come out.

if I had pure lead to deal with I'd be clicking on the sponsor link above to rotometals and purchasing some of their super hard.
    it mixes in super easy and you get a known alloy without any hassle or guess work.

I'm getting a ton of requests for access to the lead alloy spreadsheet... I don't have enough experience with Google docs to know how it works. Apparently, the link I had given above (which I have since removed) was to a copy of it that ended up in my private files.

I'll see if I can chase down the proper link and re-post it.

Boolit Buddy

I had to down load Open Office 4 got get it to work with Google , Its free and Microsoft wants to charge you for Microsoft Office , The Open Office works great , and its a great tool to have
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by kd5exp View Post
    I had a friend bring me a bunch of lead from where they tore a bunch of old buildings down. He said this was all under the toilets and he brought maybe 100 # of this stuff. I assume this is pure lead because it is very soft. Where can I find a formula to make this good for bullets. Is this any good for this or is it just sinker weight ? He is supposed to bring me a lot more.

YES THIS IS GOOD STUFF. This may be pure or it may have a little Tin. I suspect pure.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    if it is lead pipe or rings of lead from the joining of cast iron pipes then it is almost pure lead. Any place that has a wiped joint, that portion is 60-40 solder. I usually melt those separate to use the tin as i need it.

Boolit Master
    Must be a regional thing with wiped solder. I have had samples scanned and they are 30/70
    (30% tin/ 70% lead)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170227_172358_resized.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	189247

This is part of it if you can see it. I melted a little of it down but need to get some propane.