Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Why doesn't Lee make a .40 cal. Lee Classic Loader?

Why doesn't Lee make a .40 cal. Lee Classic Loader?

I was looking at the list of Lee Classic Loaders on the Lee Website. My son is interested in reloading so I am thinking of the loader as a starting tool. He only shoots .40 cal and not alot at that. I thought a lee loader would fit his needs as well as providing the education and skill development necessary to reload. He is very mechanically inclined, tends to be methodical and is a researcher. The Lee Loader seems to fit his needs pretty well. I was surprised that there is no .40 caliber Lee loader offered. With the popularity of the .40 cal doesn't this seem to be a market nitche left unexplored by Lee Precision?

http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press-kit.html I don't know. Personally I never liked the whack a mole method of reloading. I would go with a hand press kit and 40 cal die set.

That is exactly what Lee Precision said. They're selling fewer and fewer of them so there is no plans to add more calibers to the Classic Loader Line. I tend to agree the hand loader and dies would prepare the loader for more conventional methods should they move on to more variety including volume.

Boolit Grand Master

New reloaders today want more "sophisticated" tools and consider Lee Loader "cave man tools" or "crude" and beneath them. So there is little call for newer caliber Lee Loaders. Its a shame. I believe Lee Loaders are the best thing to come around since smokeless powder, especially for learning basic reloading.

I would skip the hand loader for a new reloader as ergonomically, it may be a hindrance to learning (one has to learn to balance and work the tool free handed). A new reloader can learn to load with a simple bench mounted single stage press, even a "C" press and used ones abound. An inexpensive press, a set of dies, dippers and a scale, a ram prime and calipers will get a newbee started reloading 40 S&W quite well...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Vendor Sponsor

I personally think he should get a Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press as it is far superior to the Lee Hand Press simply because it will stand up on its own, and doesn't require 3 hands to seat a boolit. It is a tool he would be more likely to build the hobby around as it is just nicer.

I am however somewhat biased in this opinion.

One thing I might add is that the .40 S&W of all pistol rounds is the least forgiving, and relying on powder dippers and non precise methods of boolit seating and crimping is not a real safe way to start reloading. This cartridge will bite.

However a well thought out "Kit" would keep him out of trouble and could be expanded on as he grew into the hobby.

A BPM Hand Press
    A Lee 4 Die Set .40 S&W and a Lee Ram Prime Die.
    A Little Franklin Arsenal Electronic Scale, Powder Trickler and a Loading Block.

Powder, Boolits, and Primers and a Small Tool Bag to hold all of it and he's in business and all he's got to do to change calibers is change dies and components. Everything fits in the bag when done and can be stored anywhere he lives or moves to.

Simplest way to Load Precision Ammo and no slower than any Single Stage Press.

www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Randy. Might be predijuiced cause I already have one of his, but there is nothing better currently available for small, light, and portable reloading presses. I also agree with his analysis of the 40S&W round and reloading it. Using powder dippers takes practice, and the only way to check the practice is with a scale. If you are going to get a scale anyway, use it instead. I'm not sure what is available currently for a small pistol powder measure, I use an old Pacific, but that would be the other piece I would add as it will speed up the loading immensely. That and a C clamp so he can use the press stabilized on a table.
    With this setup he will need some way to seat primers.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    .With this setup he will need some way to seat primers.
    Lee Ram Prime is the simplest option $15.

The problem with using Dippers for this cartridge is that a few tenths of a grain will make a significant difference in pressures.

If it was a .45 ACP I'd say fine but not with .40 S&W. It runs at 35,000 psi and needs to be right to be safe.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Buddy
    I began loading with my father when I was young. When I got married and moved out I loaded on my own with a Lee Loader in .38 spl. Not having money for much equipment the first real reloading item I bought was a Lyman D-5 scale and a trickler to measure powder. Even loading small charges of Bullseye under 148 gr wadcutters, I was happy to get the scale and do away with the scoop.

Although today, I use the scoop's to drop charges into the pan to get the beam moving then trickle the rest.

Isaac

No matter what he starts out with, he needs a beam scale. Not a divital one. If I had an extra I would send it to him.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    They don't offer one in 257Roberts or 358Winchester any more either. But I think they have a custom shop for more $$.