WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vibrating tumbler just burned up

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Thanks guys, for a lot of help , I got it working and gave the guy a drop of oil on the top and bottom of wear the shaft goes through the motor , and it ran all afternoon fine although I didn't load it up full . I found a guy selling a Lyman 1200 that misplaced the bowl and made him a offer on the bottom only as I just want the motor , so I am going to try that first . If it doesn't work out I am going to go with a heavier duty motor and come up with a bracket . I usually tumble brass as I fire it in a few hundred rounds at a time . But this year I have been working on buckets full and over working the little vibrating tumbler .
    Good to hear oiling it helped...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3961314

Buy this bowl for that Lyman you bought and you'll have TWO tumblers
    http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-v...owl-69225.html
    Like $6-$7 with a coupon

Boolit Grand Master

Anybody think about how a "vibrating" (wobbler) tumbler works? Usually a Weight is placed on the armature shaft to throw the spring mounted motor out of balance, causing a wobble. Most motors aren't designed to be run out of balance and soon fail. The design is pretty much a "designed failure". Some motors will last quite a while as noted by user's comments "My Fudrus 1300 has worked for 30 years", but it is a poor design.

If I were to design a wobbler brass cleaner I would mount the motor solidly, and run power to an out of balance shaft connected to a bowl; motor armature runs true, in balance, bowl axle out of balance, wobbles...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Well the fellow excepted my offer and is sending me the bottom of a Lyman 1200 , so I am planning to put my bowl on it if it will fit , or put the motor on my frame . But I have been using it all day today and the old motor is still running with just a drop of oil . Natchez sold me a new one yesterday , but I am going to try to keep the old one going . I have been using the tumbler on brass that I washed with citrus acid to speed up the drying process but the media absorbs the moisture .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Anybody think about how a "vibrating" (wobbler) tumbler works? Usually a Weight is placed on the armature shaft to throw the spring mounted motor out of balance, causing a wobble. Most motors aren't designed to be run out of balance and soon fail. The design is pretty much a "designed failure". Some motors will last quite a while as noted by user's comments "My Fudrus 1300 has worked for 30 years", but it is a poor design.

If I were to design a wobbler brass cleaner I would mount the motor solidly, and run power to an out of balance shaft connected to a bowl; motor armature runs true, in balance, bowl axle out of balance, wobbles...
    Like this?

http://steampunkworkshop.com/diy-vibratory-tumbler/

Or you could just buy a Thumler's Ultra Vibe 10 and not worry about it any more. By the tiem you put a motor on that one you'd have as much in the system as you would have had if you just bought the good one.

Mine is 30+ years old and still runs perfectly and it was used when I got it.

The Thumler's products are designed to run for weeks on end as they are all "Rock Tumblers."

Here ya go,,, $185 and you can probably get it cheaper if you just shop around. Buy it once and never look back.

http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler3.html

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

I hate buying lyman stuff but do think they put out the best tumbler on the market. Ive got a lyman, a big Dillon and a Frankfort arsenal units. I like the dillion because it just holds a ton of brass. The Frankfort aresonal has been a great one. I actually bought it because my first FA quit. About a year later I was bored and took it apart and found all that was wrong with it is a connector had the wire break off where it went in. Easy fix and that one has held up to tumbling 15 lbs of bullets when I do coating. All that said the lyman is the most vigorous shaker. It cleans brass in about half the time the others do. Its been going strong for about 6 years now and the one it replaced (lost in a fire) was going strong after about 20 years of hard use.

My midway Frankfort tumbler caught fire and did it's best to burn down the garage. There was since a recall on them back in the 90s. Replaced it with a Hornady tumbler that has been going strong since then.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a large Dillon tumbler since "forever". It wore out the threaded rod that holds the lid on a year or so ago. The original Dillon tumblers had the NO BS warranty (new units only have one year, I believe). At any rate, my tumbler is in my casting barn away from the house. To avoid "forgetting about it) I picked up a small timer at Walmart that shuts off the tumbler at a pre-set time. It was very reasonable and works perfectly. I normally tumble my brass two or three hours.

I wouldn't use a remote tumbler or any other item without the timer. Yeah, I have been known to forget something (at least once).

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Zoom
    1550 RPM 115 VAC FAN MOTOR

item number: 10-2614PRICE: $6.99 620 In Stocklimited to stock on hand. We describe our products as follows:
    New - Excess inventory that is new and unused. Quantities are limited.
    New Take-Offs - Items removed from unused equipment.
    Unused Old Inventory - Older inventory that may have cosmetic imperfections.
    Removed From Service - Used products in good working condition.
    "> Qty:

This motor will cost much less then the Thumler and is probably as good as most motors that would be a slide in fit. A repaired tumbler adds very little to landfills and gives the satisfaction of continuing use of good equipment. A Thumler could be added if desired for wet tumbling or?

I use a timer for tumbling and battery charging. Bought a timed switch and mounted it in a double gang box and added a cord from a discarded iron. A push of a button gives 2, 4. or 8 hours of power.

Boolit Master
    I've read that Midway/Frankford tumbler had a vibratory tumbler that was recalled. I only use the one I've got with it setting on a bare concrete floor while I'm with it.

Boolit Master
    Well I tried out my replacement tumbler yesterday right beside the old one that I thought was shot , but since I put a drop of oil on the little motor and push started it it has been running fine . In my search for a replacement motor I found a like new Lyman 1200 on eBay for 15. With the bowl broke off , but I just wanted the motor . Until the motor stops for good I am not going to change it . I may just fix the Lyman and put my bowl on it . Besides the price on the cheap tumbler , I like it so much because of the pull plug feature to separate the media an the brass . I have been known to make a huge mess when tumbling brass , and have dumped a tumbler on the floor instead of the bucket a couple times . So I now do all my tumbling out on the front porch , just in case .

Boolit Master

My Lyman 1200 has been doing duty since the early 80's it's old enough that it scares me every time I use it. I'd hate to be away from it and have it catch on fire.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    You could also switch to a rotary type of tumbler with stainless steel pins and have brass that is twice as clean.

Boolit Master

If I change my mind I have a Lyman pop top that will be up for the shipping,the motor runs but the springs are shot just wore out.I really don't have the space to store it.It will be 1st come bases or if you are around the triangle area you can come by and pick it up.PM me
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12