WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Texas considering program for poisoning hogs

Banned

Texas considering program for poisoning hogs

Saw this today. I understand they're a problem, but not a fan of poisons for a lot of reasons.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fea...swK?li=BBnb7Kz

Boolit Master
    There are always unintended consequences with using poison .

Boolit Buddy
    Feral hogs have a direct link to hunting. Ban the hunting of feral hogs and place a bounty on trapped hogs and the problem of hogs being introduced to areas would cease.

Boolit Master

You have the people complaining that the hogs are destroying their property, but then when you offer to help them out and hunt them, they want money to let you hunt on their land. It's just a bit two faced as far as I'm concerned. If you truly believe they are a problem, then you should be welcoming anyone who would help you get rid of them. If you're trying to make money off of them, quit complaining.

Boolit Master

I don't see how normal hunting practices will solve the problem anyway unless you're hunting 24/7. Once they are hunted during the day, they go nocturnal if they weren't already. In areas of thick woods and cover, accessing them is difficult to say the least.

I agree with your comment regarding landowners complaining about the hogs, then wanting to charge an arm and a leg to hunt them. I find more and more landowners hesitant to grant permission, fee or not, due to property being mistreated by folks leaving trash, gates open, driving the property when muddy, etc. So while they complain, they are also concerned that their property will be damaged/trashed by folks wanting to come hunt.

I would not want to see them poisoned, but that is way cheaper than flying property with helicopter to eradicate them that way. A lot of property here is small parcels, 40-160 acres with some larger ranches in some places. So whIle you can shoot some on your property, they cross the fence and move to the neighbors. Also, once shot at a time or two, they move out for a few weeks and you might not see them again for 6 weeks to 6 months.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I've seen the videos. In non agricultural areas, you don't have wide open fields to hunt. Then it is one or two pigs at a time / night.

Boolit Master

I imagine that those are 1-10% hunts. They only happen 1-10% of the time and on newly hunted areas.

Boolit Master
    I agree with navy vet. what to charge you to help them. don't complain then.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I agree with navy vet. what to charge you to help them. don't complain then.
    LANDOWNER: "Woe is me, the hogs are destroying my crops. The government should do something about this!"
    HUNTER: "Well, I could come by this weekend and shoot some for you..."
    LANDOWNER: "That'll be $500 per day..."

You can't have it both ways. Complain and accept free help or don't complain and feel free to make money off of them. Don't be a hypocrite...

Boolit Grand Master

I understand the landowner's problems. Both w/ the pests and the hunters. While I'm not a landowner I have access to a farm close to my house. The amount of problems from other hunters has been numerous over the years. From leaving trash to putting bullets through the barn. IMO they shouldn't charge if they want the hogs removed. But they need some sort of vetting process for the hunters. W/ the size of ranches in Texas I can see how policing the hunters can be a major headache.

I am not in favor of the state taking an active role. By that I mean if there is a problem negatively affecting the citizenry that is too big to be handled locally then the only thing the state should do is to provide rewards for assistance to resoling the problem. Reward the behavior you want to continue and disuade the behavior you don't. Some social engineering (like HOV Lanes and light rail) projects are taken on and will never have payback some do. I agree with Navyvet and DanishM1 to some degree. Place a bounty on the hogs and reward the landowner who can prove he's allowing hog hunting on his land. Bounty and land use payments payed by the state.

The real reason is evident in the press release. $$. State gets to cut ~$1M from budget. Real question is why the cost to begin with. Typical Austin - to many simpleton EPA/Sierra types. Live trapping hogs is not cheap & transporting them is illegal most places. Those I've heard shipping do so out of the USA only - I presume for hunting.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I live in north central Texas and it's covered with hogs . But it is true property owners will not let hunters in . It could be done in an organized way to let hunters in to keep their numbers down when they get serious .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I understand the landowner's problems. Both w/ the pests and the hunters. While I'm not a landowner I have access to a farm close to my house. The amount of problems from other hunters has been numerous over the years. From leaving trash to putting bullets through the barn. IMO they shouldn't charge if they want the hogs removed. But they need some sort of vetting process for the hunters. W/ the size of ranches in Texas I can see how policing the hunters can be a major headache.
    Why not 'bait' the hogs and use elevated blinds? At least you could control the direction these so-called hunters shoot in. If a fella complains and won't allow hunting...well, he needs a Miracle. He could start praying to Jesus or in some cases...Mother Mary.
    But use poison . . . "Not only NO, but . . . HELL NO !"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    You have the people complaining that the hogs are destroying their property, but then when you offer to help them out and hunt them, they want money to let you hunt on their land. It's just a bit two faced as far as I'm concerned.
    It's called skin in the game. Keeps out the riff raff and helps fray the cost of property ownership. Only way around it is to buy your own land. Then you'll be able to let every Tom, Dick and Harry hunt hogs for free.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    I live in north central Texas and it's covered with hogs . But it is true property owners will not let hunters in .
    Many reasons why the door is shut. Liability reasons are at the top of the list. Not uncommon for a hunter to shoot themselves in the foot.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

they can be curtailed.
    Idaho was over run with Rabbits in the 80's.
    your lucky to see a rabbit now day's.

everyone got together and done drives and netting and clubbing and shot them on sight.
    I have seen 3 rabbits in the last 2 years while out ground squirrel hunting.
    if they want them gone they are gonna have to put out some effort.

Boolit Master
    My problem with using poison is it will affect other wildlife and possibly people . As to the land owner not allowing hunters , think of it like this how many people to you allow to freely come to your home when your not there .

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Lot of hog trappers operating here but a lot of miles , work for little money . They don't bring much per pound . Poison would kill that effort to thin em . Pretty sure the processors will not buy potentially poisoned hogs .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast