Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pedersoli 1874 sharps bullet alloy

Boolit Buddy
    hey sarge, i would need first aid with five breaths....... Bill

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    BAW... good looking mould. Had not seen one before with the 'major arteries' for venting.

Bill, that's funny right there. Shoot, slow as I am, with five breaths I might even have 'time' issues BTing Sure had plans for hyperventilation!

No way the amount of fouling is not gonna be a problem though. Which means I'm doing something wrong -- or perhaps with the right compression that burn is cleaner and fouling reduced... because I know some are blowing without pushing sludge and making 5 and 7" groups. Always understood one of OE's claim to fame was for a clean burn. Maybe 2f is different than 1 1/2? I have zero issues (unless I just have not caught them yet) with blowing w/my 35-50 & OE 1 1/2.

Other than wiping vs BT'ing in this instance, it was interesting to see how much compression tightened things up. More than one person told me compression needed to be .200 or better. I wasn't really looking for more velocity but guess that's my only option unless I want to really go through the wads or seat the bullet deeper.

This whole BP path has really illustrated the whole 'variable management' thing. I'm always wanting to make all the changes I suspect all at once. Not good!
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Mold
    Can't think you'll see a huge velocity change John.

Boolit Master

I finally got a chance to shoot a bunch of 62 gr 40-65 loads that I tried with and without neck tension and varying compression levels. Tried some 1.5F Kik as well as 2F OE. The Kik was quite a bit slower than the OE. The best 2 loads were OE with .170 compression, 1 veggie wad and 1 poly wad no neck tension. The other load was OE with .001 to .002 neck tension. .110 compression and 1 poly wad.
    These loads both gave 5" vertical groups at 300yd. I wasn't getting the velocity Sgt Dog was, mine were in the 1250fps with extreme spreads in the 30fps range. The first shot from the cleaned barrels was the fastest and the highest in the groups. All groups were 10 shots the ES on the 2nd 5 shots in the strings was very consistent 10fps or less ES. I used a blow tube for all groups.
    For the follow up I'm going to try a little more compression and a little more powder and see if I can approach the optimal velocity for the boolit I'm using which is 1330 to 1340fps. Over all it was a productive shooting session and I feel like I'm getting close. In my 45-70 Pedersoli it seemed that compression in the .200 seemed to perform the best although it isn't near as picky as the 40-65.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I had pretty frequent leading problems in all of my .45-70s. In the pistol, with heavier bullets, I got plenty in the muzzle. In the 27" Encore, the leading happened in the throat. I switched from purchased bullets at .458 to some new ones mic'd at .459-.462. My cast drop at about .461. This is with Lyman #2, fairly hard and my leading went away. With slower burning powders and duplex loads, the leading and powder fouling were literally mopped away. Even with BH209 pseudo BP loads, I had no leading.

shoe

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Steve, with OE 1.5 I had a jump of 70fps going from 61gr to 65gr... according to that I'd go as high as 1425fps if I bump from 62gr of 2f to 66gr of 2f. But then again most other velocities I've tracked were between 5 and 10fps per-grain-increase, so hopefully not that much. Maybe I’ll throw a handful in of 64gr with two wads. Would keep me well under 1400 and give me the compression.

Bob, Thanks for the report. Between a few matches and a gong-gathering of friends down in Texas, which I’m behind loading for, I have done little with the 65s.

I'm slow on the uptake - and could be wrong even then - but I’m starting to think the load is just incidental to the compression. In other words, whatever load is dictated by seating depth to get at least .180 compression is where I’ll start and eventually find where my powder measure should be set. Target is still telling me what to do but it does shift my focus a bit. Until I give in to one of those mercury recoil compressor jobs my aim is for moderate velocity with compression dictated by accuracy. I hope to load and shoot for the 40-65s again week after this one coming up. I’ll post results when I get there. For now some 35-40 cases are calling my name. Still be keeping an eye out for your progress in the meantime. Sure wish I had a handy 300yd location.

Shoe, always found bigger was better. Prefer .002 over but between .001 and .003 usually cures leading. I say usually�� Some of these profiles are as new to me as BP. Don’t shoot revolvers enough to comment all that can be in play there.
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Master
    Bob, I'm surprised that your velocity is so low with OE FFg. I use OE 1.5 in my .40-65 and am using 60.5gr with a 400gr Money bullet and I'm running just under 1310 fps. Fifteen shot SD's are a little under 4 fps. The load shoots very well for midrange and silhouettes.

Interestingly I also use the Saeco 740 bullet which is a tiny bit heaver, but I use 58gr of FFFg Express. The load is a lot slower than my OE 1.5 load, at about 1250 fps. It also has bad muzzle velocity variation, but that really doesn't matter much for 200 which is as far as I use that load.

Chris.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Bob, I'm surprised that your velocity is so low with OE FFg. I use OE 1.5 in my .40-65 and am using 60.5gr with a 400gr Money bullet and I'm running just under 1310 fps. Fifteen shot SD's are a little under 4 fps. The load shoots very well for midrange and silhouettes.

Interestingly I also use the Saeco 740 bullet which is a tiny bit heaver, but I use 58gr of FFFg Express. The load is a lot slower than my OE 1.5 load, at about 1250 fps. It also has bad muzzle velocity variation, but that really doesn't matter much for 200 which is as far as I use that load.

Chris.
    Unfortunately my chrono doesn't do SD but I would think that it would be that low if I did the calculations to get from the extreme spread to SD. Even with a calculator that is a lot of key punching. At least I feel like I'm headed in the right direction. The velocity isn't as critical to me as the group. Max distance we shoot silhouettes at is 600yd and the extra 50fps shouldn't be that necessary. There is plenty of room in the case for more powder if I have to get more velocity.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123