RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite thing to shoot at the range?

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I have a few ground pounder targets, but I tie them to a stick that is nailed to the top of the berm, so they are hanging in front of the berm. When hit they spin, swing, jump, or fall to the ground when you cut the rope. All are on different lengths, different sizes/shapes.

Favorite yet is a 2x4 planted in the ground with 3" finnish nails up both sides. 1 russett potato each nail, first one to the top wins. 1 shot each turn, must clean the whole potato from the nail before advancing to the next spud. Shoot one out of order, lose a turn. And with loads of trash talk.

Nuthin wrong with clay pigeons either.

Steel mostly, 1-1/2" thick AR plate from my sons work, 55gr FMJ from the AR-15 barely leaves a mark so they are open game for all ammo.

Same son also cut some dueling tree disks with a hanger built right in. They run 6" at the largest and 1" at the smallest in 1" increments so we can mix them up on the tree. Gets very interesting with .38's with the 1" targets!

48x48 steel at 100, 200, 300 & 500 yards, cast only up too 300 as its only mild steel but the 500 will take anything so far.

For lawn games, we have a kind of poppers, some reset, some just fall down. Clays, wood blocks, rocks (a lot of rocks) and plastic bottles etc.

Boolit Master
    Steel plates. So long as they're smaller (much smaller is better) than the max scoring zone of the targets I shoot in USPSA, and preferably the same shape, it's a good and fun form of training, though the temptation to rely on hearing the ring of the steel to register hits rather than calling the shot needs to be resisted.

More reactive targets are more fun. Kicking a shot shell hull around the berm is cheap entertainment. The chalk thing is something I'd like to try.

Most entertaining, though? Probably what might euphemistically be described as high speed projectile impact induced disassembly of items that mainly suffer such a fate in Hollywood action films. Computers, cell phones, cars and home appliances have been disassembled in such a fashion by folks I know, and yours truly. Messy (we cleaned up our mess), and less spectacular than the digitally and pyrotechnically enhanced movie versions, but I gotta say that it scratched an itch.

Boolit Bub
    I use steel, dueling trees for closer and stationery for long distance, which I spray paint when I'm done.

Boolit Buddy
    Steel is fun, but I have to second charcoal briquettes. Either stand them up on a 12GA hull, or hang them with a piece of twine. Sometimes a little spray paint to make them visible if it's an issue. They're cheap, a good visual, and even biodegradable. At about 2" square they're perfect as a 100 yd target.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    For the backyard range in town: little green army men and/or cowboys set up across the yard with an air rifle. Set at different distances for more fun. Backyard sniping at its best. Stand them up on can lids if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i was a kid someone i knew took a shot at a mail plane that came over every night at 1130. It did a 180 and didnt see that plane for 6 months. Now i just shoot rocks dead trees paper and an occasional snack
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Vendor Sponsor

The Bull
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

That reminds me when dad was a kid they lived across the street from a fenced in area where they had the rodeos and what not. They used to talk about hitting the bulls in the gonads with a .22 air rifle and watch em go berserk
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

This time of year in Central Texas there is not that much water around so I go to one of my stock tanks and sit on the dam and shoot the yellow jackets and red wasps when they land on the water to drink. I've been using a 1885 Low Wall that I had relined to 22lr and it seems to get the job done.

gmsharps

Boolit Buddy

Used to by a sack of potatoes and would stick some long finish nails around the target frames, leftover pumpkins when I could get them cheap were always fun. nowadays I pond stakes in the ground and staple ipsc targets to them and use stickers to seal the holes to get more use out of them. For any long range I have about 12 steal targets in various sizes.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Pumpkins full of water.

Boolit Buddy
    Dueling tress are the most fun for me on the pistol range; ours is fairly challenging, with 5" paddles at a fixed 50', and they take a pretty good thump to move them, so 380s and lighter 9mm won't do---really makes you appreciate the accuracy and momentum of 45s and 357s.
    On our rifle range we have hanging gongs, but I'm trying to talk the officers of the club into a rifle dueling tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudy13 View Post
    Used to by a sack of potatoes and would stick some long finish nails around the target frames, leftover pumpkins when I could get them cheap were always fun. nowadays I pond stakes in the ground and staple ipsc targets to them and use stickers to seal the holes to get more use out of them. For any long range I have about 12 steal targets in various sizes.
    We have a guy at our range that does the potato thing on the 200yd benchrest target. You better be shooting pretty well because he uses small potatoes.
    It is fun to see that potato explode when hit with nearly anything.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I shoot at two private gun clubs. One allows only paper targets and they discourage anything resembling a human silhouette. They do allow clay birds on the berm of the pistol range.

The other club has a multitude of steel plates on the handgun and rifle ranges. They also allow other types of targets as long as you clean up after yourself. I generally start by ringing steel on the handgun range out to the 25yd marker which is the max distance on that range. Any longer range shooting with a handgun must be done on the rifle range.
    After a few hits on the steel plates, I generally transition to shooting rocks on the berm or plastic bottles and cans. I do have some of those reactive targets made of self sealing material that I use sometimes.

Boolit Mold
    I have to side up with elvis and say tv sets. A close second would be bowling balls. A direct center hit made them explode. A off center hit just spun 'em around.
    Last edited by Green 5; 07-17-2020 at 09:49 PM.

I've been getting into a bit of steel shooting as of late. Ar400 1/4" for close up pistol/rimfire and ar500 1/2" and 3/8" at longer rifle distance. What is the best way to hang? I'm having trouble with broken chains/bolts. I'm also having issues with shot up wooden support racks.....but what ya gonna do when the family does it? Lol
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Lately I’ve been working on a 6 in plate with my Lyman sighted Model 52 PreA at 65 yds offhand. Very satisfying to hear that plate ring. Love those subsonic .22s. There’s a 4 in next to it that I can hit off my bench but not so much offhand. Need more practice. Too hot to shoot much now though. I go out to my barn/shop work on something till I'm good and sweaty and then go back inside to cool off. Stay hydrated and stay safe all.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 07-23-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Almost boiling water in -0°F temperatures.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    Almost boiling water in -0°F temperatures.

Cool !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast