WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: What is your favorite thing to shoot at the range?

Boolit Master
    A buddy and I had a fun time setting up discarded bricks up on tree branches and shooting them with a .308 and a 30-06 from about 50-60 yds. My away. My .308 drew first blood ever, when he crowded the scope.

One our steel targets is the 'hostage', with the swinger 'bad guy', that is the favorite! We have a 6 and 8" pistol rack, get good, take 3 steps back!

Boolit Buddy
    Silhouette targets with the pellet guns. Paper with different printed out targets.
    Shotgun shells hung on branches, rats at the dump. Cherries or crab apples (have to Call you shot)
    One time we were shooting at a gravel pit and small quarter sized toads came out of every crack. There were thousands. Shot till out of ammo, they were still coming.
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Buddy

Old Jap cars and my ole' 100 year old water cooled Maxim gun.

Boolit Master
    Read all eight pages of this thread. Some have listed the kinda target they shoot at others the weapon of choice. I am not sure what way the thread was intended to be so I am going to list both. LOL because I can.

I enjoy shooting steel targets. Mostly 300blk,38spl. I used to shoot 22s all day long but now with the new NYS laws I refuse to pay extra for ammo. So we only shoot roll your own ammo here. The only .22 shooting is done with an air rifle.

I also mouse hunt with a flashlight at night on my home range. I do not have much luck. So my favorite thing to shoot at the range is mice. I really wish I could afford some night vision. Be happy with what you got I always say and I have a range so I am happy about that.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    I like shooting anything that challenges me. For now, most - if not all- of my shooting is at target for test loads. My joy comes from finding the best load for my gun and knowing the POI at various distances from a bench. Then, I'll shoot standing or sitting at targets at various distances.

Today it is water filled pumpkins at 100 yards and empty pumpkins at 40 yards.
    Our first winter cold winds may dull the enthusiasm, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I love shooting steel targets for the clang you get with a hit but hate seeing my lead vanish in a cloud of dust. So mostly I shoot either paper, dirt clods, chunks of wood etc up on the side of the berm in my backyard so I can reuse the lead.

Some real good ideas here that I intend to try for variety.

Moderator Emeritus

Sadly, my most favourite shooting target has pretty much become obsolete! To wit, telephone Yellow Book directories! Where I worked they'd have 'phone books from just about every municipality -- quite the bundle. And... I'd be in wait for the new ones to come, as I'd scavenge the now out-dated ones. I'd take a "shepherd's hook" wrought iron doo-hickley meant for hanging potted plants, instead -- with a loop of cord going through the 'phone book and on said hook -- go back twenty-five yards with handgun, or 75 yards with rifle. Every hit sent an awsome display of confetti .

geo

Now a days its a steel IPSC at any distance. But my favorite shooting memories that I have are of my father and I setting aluminum and tin cans on fence posts and challenging each other with a 10-22 while sitting on the back porch after school. Those were the days

Boolit Buddy
    We shoot bowling pins at 15 yards. No prizes, just a monthly fun match. But, to make it a bit more challenging, we hang a 6" steel plate at 30 yards and an 8" steel plate at 40 yards. Bragging rights only. And for the real challenge, we hang a bowling pin at 60 yards. When you can hit that, standing, no rests, you're showing some serious skill.

Back when I had a place out in the country, we'd gather and bring cool things to shoot.

Some of the more fun things to shoot was junk lawn mowers that still sort of ran, full washing machine,
    lots of bags of cement that had hardened in the rain, cinder blocks, and non-rebuildable car engine blocks.
    The weapon of choice for these was the single shot .50BMG.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Back when I had a place out in the country, we'd gather and bring cool things to shoot.

Some of the more fun things to shoot was junk lawn mowers that still sort of ran, full washing machine,
    lots of bags of cement that had hardened in the rain, cinder blocks, and non-rebuildable car engine blocks.
    The weapon of choice for these was the single shot .50BMG.
    Thats my kind of fun.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Funny range story.

A friend and I went to a range and since the owner had not seen my bud he went over a few rules...

"If you hit a light, it costs $30, a destroyed target holder is $50, ceiling tiles are $20, OK?"

My friend said, "well if that's the case, I'll take three lamps, five ceiling tiles, and one target holder, do I pay in advance?"

The owner stumbled out "you're not supposed to use these as TARGETS, do NOT hit them deliberately!"

My bud said, "Jeez, you need to make up your mind here what I need to shoot!"

He and I laughed our arses off and the owner finally got it. RIP doyle.
    Regards,

Gary

Lately I’ve been shooting an old large propane tank @ 100 yards( I vented it with a .223 first- the valve is open)
    About 1/4” steel.
    The 38-55 and 44-40 ring it like a bell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a full set of IHMSA center fire chickens & pigs + a full set of rimfire everything. I also have my own range with 50,100 & 200 yd. firing points.

My days of competing with my old shooting buddy @ 50 yds. at the chickens sadly is over. Our rules were: 1. strictly off-hand ("standing" in old IHMSA lingo) 2. any gun & any load as long as it was a handgun.

My shooting buddy has Parkinson disease & I have only 50% vision in my right eye (my shooting eye) due to glaucoma.

Now I shoot those chickens @ 25 yds. with my left eye: alone or with my grandchildren.

Even @ 84 I sometimes go back to 50 & occasionally tip one of those chickens over. (spray & pray?)
    Last edited by oldhenry; 04-15-2024 at 02:48 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678