Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Yugo Mausers

Banned

Richards Microfit. It was a Monte Carlo with California Claro Walnut. At the time it was the grade under a exhibition grade. They show a lot more grades of wood available now than they did about 10 years ago.

They come over sized so you can whittle it down to what you like. The action area is a drop in fit. But I would still bed the action. The barrel was a Midway barrel. Can not remember the contour but I did not have to do much work for the channel to make it float. They did a #3 sporter barrel cut for mine as it was the very first one for the 48 intermediate action they made. But they no longer do this I see. Only a straight cut.

It took almost 6 months to get this so keep that in mind. And have lots of sand paper on hand.

Boolit Master
    Did it come with the nose cap and grip cap, or did you add that on yourself ?
    I may have to look into their stocks.
    Cutting the barrel channel , or even making a stock from a blank are what I normally do.
    But if they have half the work done, and at a decent price, it may save me tons of time on future projects.
    But that is a very nice piece of wood and an excellent looking finish.

Banned

They came with it. It is rosewood.

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Thanks Guys, I spent $600.00 total for both guns and 700 rounds of ammo. The ammo is all old stuff from the 50's but new in the box. I am sure it is corrosive but frankly that does not bother me at all.
    Shoot it, clean them with hot Dawn dishwater, rinse, repeat shoot it! Best, Thomas.

I love that stock Tomme boy. Put one just like it on a 96 Swede. A different classic. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well made rifles. Made on German machines and tooling. Made by Zastava in Kragujevac Serbia. Been making quality arms a long time.

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 03-01-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    If your ammo has 55 at 6 o'clock, 11 or 12 at 12 o'clock, and a single star at 3 and 9 o'clock, be careful with it. '55 Yugoslav was for a while very cheap and plentiful; it also has a reputation for the occasional catastrophic case failure (catastrophic for the case, not necessarily catastrophic to a rifle in good shape) that runs from the primer pocket about half way up the case. It happened to me after firing about 200 out of a case. Other than etching the bolt face of my Yugo 98k rebuild, the rifle wasn't damaged, but it sure was a surprise. You might search the military rifle forums here, I think it's been discussed here.

I ended up pulling the bullets on the rest of it and reloading the bullet and a slightly reduced and leveled out powder charge into a commercial case and primer.

Banned

Thanks Guys, I spent $600.00 total for both guns and 700 rounds of ammo. The ammo is all old stuff from the 50's but new in the box. I am sure it is corrosive but frankly that does not bother me at all.
    you got a good deal! that 1950's stuff is the most accurate I've found. the 1970's is good but the 50's, well it works better than me.

save the brass, (yea most likely it's the wrong primer type) but brass for recycling is worth money.

Boolit Buddy
    I had M48A.Excellet rifle.Out of the box needed only trigger parts fine polishing.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    If your ammo has 55 at 6 o'clock, 11 or 12 at 12 o'clock, and a single star at 3 and 9 o'clock, be careful with it. '55 Yugoslav was for a while very cheap and plentiful; it also has a reputation for the occasional catastrophic case failure (catastrophic for the case, not necessarily catastrophic to a rifle in good shape) that runs from the primer pocket about half way up the case. It happened to me after firing about 200 out of a case. Other than etching the bolt face of my Yugo 98k rebuild, the rifle wasn't damaged, but it sure was a surprise. You might search the military rifle forums here, I think it's been discussed here.

I ended up pulling the bullets on the rest of it and reloading the bullet and a slightly reduced and leveled out powder charge into a commercial case and primer.

Thanks bud. I will check in the morning.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I shot mine today in the local military matches. Won two out of five.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Waksupi, good to hear buddy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Good for you!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    I can't recommend Yugo Mausers enough. In my opinion, the only reason not to own one is if you don't want to stock the cartridge it fires.

Mausers are the perfect bolt action rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalGarand44 View Post
    I can't recommend Yugo Mausers enough. In my opinion, the only reason not to own one is if you don't want to stock the cartridge it fires.

Mausers are the perfect bolt action rifle.
    Mine shoots well with cast.
    Continuing to develop.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

I hope you have better luck with the ammo than I did John. My Yugo and that old ammo did not get along. The first time out I got 2 out of 10 to fire. I thought something might be wrong with the firing pin/springs, so I purchased some new springs. I still had lots of misfires and the new springs caused the safety to be very difficult to operate.

I went to reloading the 8mm Mauser, after all that what we are all about! I still have lot of that old ammo, just too frustrating to use, and... the stuff I have, you cannot reload it.

Good luck with the rifles, let us know how the ammo works out.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Banned

Bill, use the bullets and powder in your reloadable cases. Thats what I did for a bunch of the one I had. It is the primers that are the problem. They are set a little deep, but the machine guns have a deeper pin depth than the rifles do so it was not a problem for them to shoot them.

Boolit Master

I had some of the 55 surplus ammo that I bought several years ago. I was getting an average of 3 misfires out of 5 rounds in both my Yugo's and German 98. After 2 frustrating trips to the range, I pulled all the bullets, saved the powder(weighing each and every powder charge from the pulled case), divided the number of pulldown cases by the total of the powder weight to get an average. Reloaded the powder and bullets in some Canadian MM marked brass and Federal Large Rifle primers. Turned out to be excellent shooting ammo. I did some surplus Turk ammo the same way and it turned out to be the most accurate ammo I ever put through a mauser. I think the storage method used is the important factor in surplus ammo; at least as much as the factory loading it. Ammo stored improperly for 50+ years is likely going to have a fairly high rate of misfires/ My experience anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master
    That's what I'm going to do with my stash. Bullets and powder will be loaded into formed .30-06 cases at about 10% reduction.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    They weren't in service very long at all. So they weren't shot a ton or banged up. They are about as close to factory new mausers you are going to get today. Made on German tooling. I've got a few. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast