Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 38 Super Boolit

Boolit Buddy

38 Super Boolit

I have a 38 Super on the way. I've not loaded for this round as this is my first Super. I plan to start with the Lee 356-120-TC. I load them for my daughters 9MM. Any 38 Super shooters care to advise?

Thanks
    Brad

Boolit Buddy

That is the bullet I use in my 38 Super, powder coated sized to .357.
    Excellent accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. Mine are also powder coated and sized .357. May already have what I need.

Boolit Master

Its a good start. You didn't mention what pistol you are getting so we don't know what type of feed ramp you'll be using. I have a 1911 setup for 38 Super/9mmPara (switch barrel/recoil spring/barrel bushing) and I use the Lyman 356402 TC mold; LEE 120gr TC and the LEE 124gr RN boolits interchangeably. I size to .357 as well but lube with either Lee Liquid Alox or Lars 50/50 or BAC (all three work fine)

My Star Super B in 9mm Largo (think of 38 Super case without the semi-rim and lower pressure) hates the LEE TC mold but just purrs with the LEE RN profile and surprisingly the Lyman TC mold also feeds great. Something about the difference in degree of the TC of the LEE design (its meplat is bigger than the Lyman TC) that the Star just doesn't like.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

Super B?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Its a good start. You didn't mention what pistol you are getting so we don't know what type of feed ramp you'll be using. I have a 1911 setup for 38 Super/9mmPara (switch barrel/recoil spring/barrel bushing) and I use the Lyman 356402 TC mold; LEE 120gr TC and the LEE 124gr RN boolits interchangeably. I size to .357 as well but lube with either Lee Liquid Alox or Lars 50/50 or BAC (all three work fine)

My Star Super B in 9mm Largo (think of 38 Super case without the semi-rim and lower pressure) hates the LEE TC mold but just purrs with the LEE RN profile and surprisingly the Lyman TC mold also feeds great. Something about the difference in degree of the TC of the LEE design (its meplat is bigger than the Lyman TC) that the Star just doesn't like.

Are you sure your pistol is a "B" and not an "A"? I always thought the A was 9mm Largo and the B was 9mm Parabellum. I could be wrong, as I've seen them both identified as the other. Obviously, at least half of the writers - and possibly myself - are wrong! I have a Star Modelo Super A (I think) in 9mm Largo. I load for this pistol to lower-end .38 Super data. It feeds 9mm Largo, .38 Automatic (not .380), .38 Super and .38 Super Comp brass flawlessly. I've also fired 9mm Parabellum out of it as an experiment and it handled the relatively few I fired well. There are no SAAMI specs for 9mm Largo, though some published sources claim it a 33,000 PSI cartridge. .38 Super maxes out at 36,500, so I believe low-end .38 Super data is perfectly safe, YMMV. Actually, I have fired a little full-powered .38 Super factory ammo through it with no problems, but I do tend to the conservative side.

I haven't cast for this pistol yet, but have fired a fairly large variety of FMJ 115 gr. pulled bullets and RNL 124 gr. commercial bullets without problems. FWIW, I salvaged a LOT of flooded ammo after Hurricane Katrina from a variety of sources, which I pulled down for components, and am only now just using up the last of the salvaged 115s. The ogives are slightly different amongst some of them, but I only separated them by weight. I haven't tried any TC bullets through the Star Super, so can't help you much there.

As I final bit of trivia, I'll note that I read one article where the writer said that the Super's loaded chamber indicator was a slot in the slide that allowed you to see the case head. That's not true! There is a small steel chamber flag that fits inside that slot and rises when the chamber is loaded and retracts to flush with the slide when the chamber is empty. Mine still has the chamber flag and it works fine with all of the brass types I listed previously.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Master
    I run a Kimber Stainless Target II in 38 Super.
    Accurate molds 35-150Z over 3.5gns AP-50 (Hodgdon International Clays to you lot up northern hemispere).
    Pet load in this gun.
    All coated with 2 coats of HITEK Kryptonite Green
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

I have two 1911's in 38 super one has a Nowlin barrel the other a Kart !
    for cast bullets I have the Saeco #929 145 gr swc ,#377 122gr tc & #384 122gr rn . the best accuracy is with the 929 first 377 second & 384 third, all sized @357 dia ( & lubed with traditional hard lube).
    which has proven more accurate than .356 dia in my 38 super & 9MM pistols. never really worked up loads with jacketed bullets as I shoot all cast.

Although I have gotten decent accuracy using fast pistol powders , I have gotten my best accuracy with med burning speed pistol powders, such as Power Pistol , WAP , WSF & HS6 in the 38 super & 9mm's

The lee 120 TC bullet should work well
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 02-22-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use them in my STI GM race gun up to 1500 fps Hi-/tek coated

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    Are you sure your pistol is a "B" and not an "A"? I always thought the A was 9mm Largo and the B was 9mm Parabellum. I could be wrong, as I've seen them both identified as the other. Obviously, at least half of the writers - and possibly myself - are wrong! I have a Star Modelo Super A (I think) in 9mm Largo. I load for this pistol to lower-end .38 Super data. It feeds 9mm Largo, .38 Automatic (not .380), .38 Super and .38 Super Comp brass flawlessly. I've also fired 9mm Parabellum out of it as an experiment and it handled the relatively few I fired well. There are no SAAMI specs for 9mm Largo, though some published sources claim it a 33,000 PSI cartridge. .38 Super maxes out at 36,500, so I believe low-end .38 Super data is perfectly safe, YMMV. Actually, I have fired a little full-powered .38 Super factory ammo through it with no problems, but I do tend to the conservative side.

I haven't cast for this pistol yet, but have fired a fairly large variety of FMJ 115 gr. pulled bullets and RNL 124 gr. commercial bullets without problems. FWIW, I salvaged a LOT of flooded ammo after Hurricane Katrina from a variety of sources, which I pulled down for components, and am only now just using up the last of the salvaged 115s. The ogives are slightly different amongst some of them, but I only separated them by weight. I haven't tried any TC bullets through the Star Super, so can't help you much there.

As I final bit of trivia, I'll note that I read one article where the writer said that the Super's loaded chamber indicator was a slot in the slide that allowed you to see the case head. That's not true! There is a small steel chamber flag that fits inside that slot and rises when the chamber is loaded and retracts to flush with the slide when the chamber is empty. Mine still has the chamber flag and it works fine with all of the brass types I listed previously.

Best regards
    Doc
    I have Two Stars and two Astra 400 and a couple Destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo. I been reloading for them for over 30 years. The bore size from 356 to a large 359. I seen a few Astra 400 mark on the chamber 9mm/38 auto. I use 38 acp brass to reload mine. I use 38acp reloading data not 38 Super data. 38 Super in my opinion is too hot for older Spanish made guns. If you match the bullet to the bore size they become accuarte to shoot. A undersize bullet in oversize barrel is wild shooting on target.

Boolit Master
    Favorite cast boolit for the Super is the SAECO 383 which is a 140 gain LONG TC bullet. 6.0 grains of Unique runs 1240 from a 5" barrel and is exceeding accurate...

50' 9 rounds...

1956 Commander...

The high one was the last shot and my fault...as usual...

Been using this bullet since the mid-1980s... If you want to try some, Montana Bullet Works is now casting them. Work great in 9mm also.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF7595_zps1a90f9a2.jpg  
    Last edited by RJM52; 02-22-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help fellas. I wanted to test the waters with the super and got a RIA 1911. It came today and although a plain GI version, it surprised me. I was only able to shoot 5 rounds of Rem. 130 grain ball right before dark and it put em in a 1 1/4 group at 20 yards, 2 handed standing. I slugged the barrel and it's .355 so I'll try some of the Lees at .356 and .357 to see what it likes. I have some Power Pistol, WSF, Unique and some BE. I hope to get a chance to work with it this weekend. RJM52, that's some fine shooting! I may have to order a few of those to see how mine likes them. Thanks again to you all for the help.

Boolit Master
    Brad...if this is your first Super you are going to find that it has exceptional accuracy and shootability compared to most anything else.

For the money the RIA is an excellent gun. I bought my first one in 10mm a year ago and it is just as accurate as the other 10mms I have at half the price...

I use a Lyman .355 die for sizing cast bullets for the Super... Never a problem with leading or accuracy...

And great shooting...1.5" at 20 yards standing is EXCELLENT shooting.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Brad...if this is your first Super you are going to find that it has exceptional accuracy and shootability compared to most anything else.

For the money the RIA is an excellent gun. I bought my first one in 10mm a year ago and it is just as accurate as the other 10mms I have at half the price...

I use a Lyman .355 die for sizing cast bullets for the Super... Never a problem with leading or accuracy...

And great shooting...1.5" at 20 yards standing is EXCELLENT shooting.

Bob
    Thanks! That's what surprised me. I know that I only shot 5 rounds, one time but even with the GI sights I was more accurate with it than my Springfield's and Ruger 45 1911s. Looking forward to try it out this weekend. I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke