Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 38-55 advice please

38-55 advice please

Well it has been a year in the making, but my roller is finally together. This forum was most helpful in the design phase of my project, and thanks again for that help. ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ter-38-55-mold ) The gun is just about range ready. 'Course I need to load some ammo up first. I was hoping you kindly Gents might once again point me in a good direction to get started.

The gun is an old Swedish roller that I picked up from Simpson Ltd. We put a liner from TJ in it and I had Dave Manson make a reamer for it from this drawing I marked up for him:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	188635

As you can see from the drawing I have a .375 bore and I an am using the Lyman 378674 335gr sized to .376 and (just because I have the die) .375. My cases are the long 2.125 Starline. I would greatly appreciate any advice you might share on powder selection and quantity, over powder wadding (if any), and if you think I am likely to need more lube in my 31 inch barrel than the four grooves on the bullet will hold. Thanks so much.
    THBailey

"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects"
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

My load for 38-55 and the 335 lyman lubed with SPG is 2F Olde Ensforde powder 45 grns. a .060 Napa rubber fiber gasket material wad and 2 typing paper wads compressed to depth needed. hand seat bullet and size around to set tension.

Boolit Master
    I have two 38-55s and I use 18 grains of 47-59 behind whatever bullet I am using. I do not use an over powder wad unless I am loading black powder. I only use the 2.125 cases with black powder.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I made 2 38-55's out of Swedish rollers, I "may" try some 4759 loads but so far I'm only using 2F. these guns are almost 150 years old. I picked up some 375 Winchester take off barrels to use as donors for mine. the chamber measured the same as the short 38-55 brass.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I made 2 38-55's out of Swedish rollers, I "may" try some 4759 loads but so far I'm only using 2F. these guns are almost 150 years old. I picked up some 375 Winchester take off barrels to use as donors for mine. the chamber measured the same as the short 38-55 brass.
    Ya, when the first sign of excess pressure on these old rolling blocks is the block lodging in your forehead I would approach smokeless powder with extreme caution, even if you are working with one of the later 8x58RD conversions. Have you had any success working up your blackpowder loads?
    THBailey

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My load for 38-55 and the 335 lyman lubed with SPG is 2F Olde Ensforde powder 45 grns. a .060 Napa rubber fiber gasket material wad and 2 typing paper wads compressed to depth needed. hand seat bullet and size around to set tension.
    Country Gent- Thanks for the reply. Is this the stuff you are using?:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel+Pro/375/31...FZCcfgodUkYPTw
    THBailey

Will Rogers

Boolit Master

My Badger Barreled 38-55 (15 twist) likes that boolit with 47gr of 2F Swiss & .060 veggie wad with .006 over primer wad. I've tried OE and it seems to shoot about the same but never got serious about grouping it. For hunting I just swap the Lyman boolit for a 250gr Lee.
    Here is a 40-65 that I built on a Swedish 8MM roller frame, a beautiful deer rifle, never tried it for anything else.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like the same material only what I use is 1/16" thick or .060. Ive considered trying 3/32 ( .093 thk) if I can find a roll. Theres a lot of wads in one of those rolls LOL. I made a base from 2X8s one cut 28" long and 4 pieces 8" long. Glue and pin the 8" pieces on each side and end of the 28" length so you have an I shape. Tri with a cutoff saw so its smooth and even. You want the end grains all up. I set the material on this and a wad punch and hammer and punch them out.This height is good for sitting and can be trimmed lightly many times to clean up when worn.

I use 40 Gr of 2F Goex and a .030 card disc. Bees wax, Neats Foot oil & lard for a lube, and blow tube between shots. I could probably up the charge with some more compression but this load seems to work fine. They are only 20"Winchester barrels so not really a long range target set up, but I will try them off the bench soon and see how well they group.

Nice looking gun Bob. Did you do the stock work? Just curious, why do you swap out bullets for the whitetail hunt? I would guess the 335 Lyman would smack them pretty effectively as well.
    Last edited by THBailey; 02-22-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    THBailey

Will Rogers

Well thanks again Country Gent. Gonna have to give that a try.
    THBailey

Will Rogers

Thanks for the info Enfield. What boolit are you throwing?
    THBailey

Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by THBailey View Post
    Nice looking gun Bob. Did you do the stock work? Just curious, why do you swap out bullets for the whitetail hunt? I would guess the 335 Lyman would smack them pretty effectively as well.
    I did but I sure wouldn't want to do it for a living, I'd starve to death.
    The Lee 250gr has a wide meplat and one that I recovered was nicely mushroomed and the weight was almost 100%. The Postel copy is somewhat pointed and I was afraid it would punch right through with minimal damage. I've tracked deer before and it isn't one of my favorite things to do, I like them DRT. I don't doubt that the 335 would eventually get the job done, but to me the Lee looks like it would be more effective

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Smile 38-55

I use the Lee 250 Gr. that drops about .380 and a NOE 379-279 ( .380 ) and I have an RCBS gas check mould . I think so far the Lee has shot the best, although I have not done any amount of serious bench shooting. here is a pic to prove they exist. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	188866

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	188865

also , we have had quite a bit of snow up here, so between shovelling I have time to do some "smith" ( ha ) work.

Well thanks for the boolit info. I'm thinkin' with a good lookin' gaggle of guns like that your posting name might should be Roller rather than Enfield. Looks like your pup is helping with the snow removal chores!
    THBailey

Will Rogers