Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: HELP ! 200 gr RN in 35 Whelen

Boolit Master

HELP ! 200 gr RN in 35 Whelen

I am having trouble getting my 35 Whelen to accurately shoot a 200gr RN sized 0.359
    My 250 gr NOE shoots great but not so the 200 gr Lyman
    I have 2400, 4895, 4350 4064 powders and with exception of the 2400 I have tried all the other to no avail.
    I would like to be able to be accurate enough at 100 yds to stay within a 1-1/2" circle. Best I've done so far is more like 3-1/2....

any suggestions???

my rifle twist is 1:14

thanks
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 02-26-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: bullet diameter correction
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I am having trouble getting my 35 Whelen to accurately shoot a 200gr RN sized 0.311
    My 250 gr NOE shoots great but not so the 200 gr Lyman
    I have 2400, 4895, 4350 4064 powders and with exception of the 2400 I have tried all the other to no avail.
    I would like to be able to be accurate enough at 100 yds to stay within a 1-1/2" circle. Best I've done so far is more like 3-1/2....

any suggestions???

my rifle twist is 1:14

thanks
    atr
    Sizing the bullet almost fifty thousandths undersize will tend to make it shoot pretty poorly.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

3-1/2" is pretty good for a bullet bouncing off the walls of a barrel. Just messing with you. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

you guys ain't much help.

It IS the most likely cause of his problem based on the information provided.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

oops....they were sized 0.359

Which Lyman is it? 358315? That's the most common in that weight. Assuming it IS that particular bullet, I have it too and find it to be hit or miss with more miss than hit. There's a lot of unsupported bullet in that design. Depending on what size yours falls obviously, that nose is just hanging out there.
    My ,358 Winchester will shoot it pretty decent IF I don't shove it too hard.

For a lighter plinking load, you'll probably have better results with the RCBS 35-200.

Boolit Master

Lee makes a 200-204gr rnfp with a good meplat, and gas check base.

I've had great results with it in (2) marlin 336's in 35 Remington. ( hornady gas checks )

Actually, that's a very good point. That new Lee 35 is the spitting image of an RCBS for a fraction of the cost.

Boolit Grand Master

Agreed on the 358315 Lyman being a hit or miss. I've tried it evry which way in several 35s with 14" twist. Best I got was 2 1/2 - 3 moa down around 1400 fps and that was with 5 shot groups. As soo as I went to the RCBS 35-200-FN accuracy improved dramatically up through 2200+ fps.

Larry Gibson

I'm glad this forum steered me to the RCBS 200 FPGC. I don't see needing another mould for my .358 at all. Thanks everyone especially BrassMagnet!

Boolit Buddy
    I sold my 358315 mold because it would not shoot worth a darn in my rifles. Whale scalp. Tried it in 4 different ones. The rcbs has done well in all but one of them. It likes 230's.

Boolit Master

yes,,it is the 358315....
    I did find additional load information in a very, very old lyman manual, and so I will make a few more attempts.
    As cast they drop at .360, I will pan lube these instead of sizing down, and I will also decrease the load/velocity.
    I'll be back in a couple of days with the results...
    thanks all

I have had the same issues with that bullet in my bolt action 35 Rem shoots just fine in the 1200 fps range faster you push it the worse it gets the nose is only .347 on mine but casts pretty heavy at 215 grs it's an older ideal mould
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

My 358315 shoots great in 35 Rem Marlins but, at only about 1000 FPS. I couldn't get it to shoot at all in my 35 Whelen,1-12 twist. Hats off to you for getting 3 1/2" groups with it!
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Actually, that's a very good point. That new Lee 35 is the spitting image of an RCBS for a fraction of the cost.
    NoAngel,
    You are very correct in your sumation of the new Lee Mold. The bullets are just a wee bit shorter than those made by my RCBS 35-200 and consequently weigh right at 200 grains lubed and checked where my RCBS mold produces a bullet weighing 212 grains lubed and checked. I made up a thousand of the Lee bullet in short order but have not tried them yet as my vision went totally south due to my diabetes. I did make up a plethora of loads but they reside in my ammo locker until I try to straighten my vision out.

358 Win