WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Self disassembling M1 carbine.......

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Self disassembling M1 carbine.......

I finally got a G.I. firing pin to replace the bent one in my I.A.I. M1 carbine that caused a full auto scenario. Assembled the gun, double checked everything and took it out for a functioning test with Wolf steel cased .30 carbine ammo.

First problem, the Wolf ammo wouldn't feed from a standard 15 rd. magazine. This is due to the blunt (flat) bullet point they decided to use. I carefully chambered one by hand and squeezed it off. Bang and instant stoppage. Examination of the gun revealed that the slide/charging handle had separated from the bolt! A little fumbling married the parts again and a second round did exactly the same thing...hardly a good example of a battle rifle.

On the other hand, my brass case, cast lead loads (120 grain Saeco boolit and 11 grains of 2400) functioned flawlessly and were accurate to boot.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Wolf ammo in .30 carbine?
    Last edited by 3006guns; 04-04-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Super Moderator

Yes, I have had problems with the Wolf too. FTF's and super dirty. I bought two ammo cans of the Lake City 30 carbine ammo when the CMP had it, no problems of any kind with that ammo in my 44 Inland.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 04-04-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks.....it's always good to know you're not the only girl at the dance having problems! I'll sell the Wolf ammo off.

Boolit Master

Sounds like the wolf is hot! Guessing one could restrict the gas port/ piston? Garrands have different size ones for reloads.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I know they are different animals but, a friend of mine blew his Colt commander up shooting wolf ammo. Thankfully it wasn't bad enough for a rebuild. The guys at Terry Tussey's shop fixed it for him. No frame damage, just a new barrel, slide and underwear!
    The other one was an Encore rifle in .223 that we were using for a friendly "top shot" style competition.
    My BIL was behind the trigger and fired his 2nd or 3rd shot when he went to extract it and it stuck in the chamber and bent the extractor.
    Took me forever to get ahold of Thompson/Smith to get a new extractor but I got it running again.
    Bottom line, I would agree that the wolf ammo is your problem, and I will never shoot it again.

Boolit Master

Wolf ammo is also known to destroy carbine extractors. It is NOT good carbine ammo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Wolf ammo is also known to destroy carbine extractors. It is NOT good carbine ammo.
    That would explain the damaged extractor the gun had when I bought it, since the previous owner gave me several hundred rounds of the Wolf ammo. I replaced the part, which also taught me that the bolt disassembly tool is a must.

Boolit Master
    Funny looking little thing ain't it! Makes taking the bolt apart a snap!

Boolit Grand Master

My old $75 Blue Sky import carbine had the same problem with the slide coming out of the slot in the receiver. Did it with all ammo. I figured either the slot or the tab off the slide were worn. Traded that gun even up on a new 1894C in 1999 and never looked back.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Sounds like the wolf is hot! Guessing one could restrict the gas port/ piston? Garrands have different size ones for reloads.
    No can do! Totally different beasts and the carbine is a "no user serviceable parts inside" design of the gas system. Thats why it was loaded with non corrosive primers from git go in the middle of the war.

Boolit Master

Check and make sure the barrel is properly aligned with the receiver. Balance a long straight edge on both the bottom of the receiver and the flat on the bottom of the barrel. They should be perfectly parallel. If not, the barrel is out of alignment and needs to be turned into alignment. Slides popping out are a symptom of that misalignment.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar problem with both of my Winchester carbines. My reloads would slam fire when loaded as singles just letting the slide go forward. I learned my reloads were fine, but the CCI standard primers were just a little sensitive. Works just fine when loaded from a magazine. The faster bolt speed when not using the magazine was enough to fire both rifles. When used with a magazine, the bolts would be slowed enough stripping a round and chambering to prevent slam fires. No flaws in either rifle or their bolts. Lesson learned, harder military primers will be used in the next batch and strict muzzle control exercised until this lot is fired.
    Chris

Boolit Master

I remember a friend in the mid 60's having a problem with his carbine going out of battery every shot. He was using LC military surplus ammo. He took his carbine to a gunsmith who replaced the operating rod/slide with a new surplus one. Problem solved, seems the old slide was bent out of alignment enough to cause it to pop out of battery at the back end of the receiver. That is the only carbine I have ever known about with a similar problem. My Inland and Dads Saginaw(I think) ran like a champs. Of course we replaced all the springs with Wolf springs when we first got them from the DCM. I love those little dudes. james