RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contender regrets

Contender regrets

I started shooting when I was 17 and I just turned 50. I always thought that a Contender could be interesting but something else always seemed more exciting and I only got around to picking one up last year. I seriously wish I would have gotten into these 25 years ago! I can't believe how much I enjoy shooting and loading for mine! After seven barrels I'm trying to focus on what I have. My favorite is 32-20 with 357 Mag and 30 Herret not far behind. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to throw this out in case anyone out there is considering one. Do it!

Boolit Master
    I am just starting into them. So many different barrel options, but I'm only at 3! Hope to get a 357mag and 41mag later this week.

Perma-Banned

I killed my first handgun deer with a Contender 28yrs ago...I have had them since a couple of years before that first deer...it is a very versatile gun. I am down to one frame and 8 barrels...my favorite barrels for it are the 14" 44mag, the 14" 30/30 and the 10" .22 Hornet.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 02-21-2017 at 02:24 PM.

OMG, a new infectee with Contenderitis - You Sir have just entered a new realm of trouble.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Have you picked up the required copy of Hard Target yet? Every Contender owner must have one!

Boolit Master
    They are a lot of fun.I have 2 frames and 10 barrels in 9 different calibers. My favorite is the 32-20 with cast boolits and the 22 Hornet with both cast and jacketed bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    It is one of my favorite addictions!!
    I have a Gen 1 with 6 barrels. All pistol.
    .22 mag 10 in, the rest are super 14. .223, 7mm L&L, 30-30, .375 JDJ and a 45-70.
    The 45-70 is a virgin valley arms.
    You sir have jumped down a new rabbit hole.
    Welcome to the madness.

Boolit Buddy
    My line-up (all carbine barrels) includes:
    22 Match
    22 Hornet
    32-20 Custom Shop
    357 Max. 24" bull custom shop

They're lots of fun and it's hard to resist a new, interesting barrel. I've also had a 222 carbine barrel and a number of pistol barrels, that I never seem to hang on to.

The TCR83/87 is another one of my minor addictions. I've gone through a lot of those barrels. . . .

Boolit Master
    Hah, all carbine. 22 Hornet
    22LR ~ Virgin Valley
    7x30 Waters ~ Bullberry
    Love them all. The 22rimfire and Waters are both balanced the same. Squirrel hunting becomes great practice for deer season.

I have or have had 7x30, 6.8spc, 45 70, 222 Rem and 22 Hornet. My favorite hands down is the Hornet. Contenders are addicting.

Boolit Master

WHAT no 357 Herret shooters?

I got my Contender in 1977 along with a .44 magnum shot barrel with the external screw-on choke, very shortly after that I bought a 357 Herret barrel and dies and I have been shooting it ever since! The .44 mag barrel is long gone but if there ever was a "perfect" barrel for the Contender it's the 357 Herret.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

22 hornet is still my favorite barrel but I have tried a lot of different ones over the years. I'm down to 2 frames now and 5 barrels. My first was a Hornet back in early 70's.

PS Hard Target is worth watching. Contenders weren't used in the movies very often.

Perma-Banned
    Actually found a 222 Rem 14" bbl. From a machine rest it shoots 5 in one hole at 100 yds. Wish I were that steady ! Also have a 35 Rem 14", a ball with cast.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richmanpoorman View Post
    Actually found a 222 Rem 14" bbl. From a machine rest it shoots 5 in one hole at 100 yds.
    Video or it didn't happen.

Boolit Master
    I feel for you. I got the Contender disease 40+ years ago when my father handed me one in the airport after my first tour in Vietnam. I won't tell how many frames and barrels I have accumulated. My favorite barrels are the 32-20, Hornet, 45/410, and 357 Max.

Boolit Master

I must have a tolerance built up because I only have 2 barrels and the same two for at least 15 years. But I still love em! First is a Super 16 in .35 Rem. (cut to 15 & 3/4" for NYS law) and the other is a 10".45 /410, shooting clay birds is a hoot with that and great practice for deer season.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I saw a 357Herret at a gun show but didn't pull the trigger on it, regret that.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a guy in the county next to me (Otsego, MI) who won a lawsuit against them. It seems the gun will develop excessive headspace over time, and the results are catastrophic. He lost the sight in one eye and was permanently disfigured. Suit was settled in 2015. He had one in .300 Win Mag.

There are a number of similar reports...mainly with the older style model I believe.
    Don Verna

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    There is a guy in the county next to me (Otsego, MI) who won a lawsuit against them. It seems the gun will develop excessive headspace over time, and the results are catastrophic. He lost the sight in one eye and was permanently disfigured. Suit was settled in 2015. He had one in .300 Win Mag.

There are a number of similar reports...mainly with the older style model I believe.
    Contender has never been available in .300 Win Mag...it had to be an Encore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast