MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would like opinions on a rifle in 45-70

Boolit Buddy

would like opinions on a rifle in 45-70

I recently began the purchase of a nice pistol, I have also always dreamt of a lever action rifle in 45-70 that is pleasing to the eye, but has the ability to shoot around 300 yards if I can do my part and also build the correct load, I love the look and size of a marlin guide gun, capacity has a big impact on my choice and it HAS to have a loading gate, so henry's are out from the beginning. If anyone has opinions or ideas please voice them, I'm going to start saving once ive finished my pistol purchase, and id like to start saving for a new rifle.

In Remembrance
    For pure form and function, it is hard to beat the marlins. I have 2 of them, personally I do not consider them ideal for 300 yards, but they certainly are capable of it.

I just keep going back to Bud's looking at the Marlin 26" nine shot 45-70. My gotta haves are down to about three different guns at the moment, an all time low. lol Gp

Boolit Master
    looking for 45 70 myself looked a real nice stainless ruger about a week ago. so many guns so few dollars

Boolit Buddy
    That is a feeling I know well, hopefully if I take care of myself and continue to try to become more healthy everyday ill live long enough to make enough money to buy some of the things on my want list, ill be 30 this year, I quit smoking, I quit going to bars and drinking, I quit buying stuff I don't really have a need for, and I started budgeting more. so my plans are in effect but it takes time, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    looking for 45 70 myself looked a real nice stainless ruger about a week ago. so many guns so few dollars

One of the new/er Win/Miroku 1886 rifle length, gorgeous and will do what you are asking with aplomb.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1311.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	188568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1309.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	188569
    I second the 1886 Winchester, to me they are just the perfect large caliber lever gun. With this tang sight and black powder I am good to 200-250 yards or so, if I loaded smokeless I am sure I could add a little to that distance. If you want a scope then the Marlin 1895 is the better way to go.

If your intent is to shoot @ 300yds, you would be best served by forgetting about a Guide Gun & it's short barrel.

A longer-barreled rifle will allow a longer sighting radius for iron sights, and will afford steadier holding for shooting with any sighting system.

The nicest & smoothest-operating .45-70 I've ever owned was a Miroku/Winchester 86EL (ExtraLight) - must nicer than the Marlin .45-70's I've owned (including a Guide Gun).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I had thought there was some strength differences in the action between an 1886 and the later models. I will have to go read some more, and having the ability to run some sort of glass would be ideal, I don't think I could see the target at 300 with irons, let alone hit it.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have Marlin and the jap 86's. If you want a rifle to carry all day long hunting stay away from the long octagon barreled brutes. I have one. It gets very heavy. Now for shooting off cross sticks or sitting and awaiting on a critter to come slinking through no issue.

But the 86 "light weight" model is great ! That one is my favorite 45-70 to carry all day in woods or river bottoms. Weights no more than my Marlin but carries so much better. Used ones show up and not much more than a Marlin. Well made and shoots cast with no issues. Had mine 10 years and it will be with me till I can no longer shoot.
    I like my Marlin also. But it does not balance nor carry like the 86 Light weight model.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I had a Marlin 45-70 CB with the 26" barrel and traded it for the CB 38-55. Mostly because the 45-70 is really too much gun for deer and I don't shoot anything else bigger. Kicked like a mule in its light weight form, so was not pleasurable to plink with. I like the looks the of old Winchester copies and feel that they fill a niche kind of like the 73 Winchester, that of nostalgia as well as a pleasing recreation of what granddad carried. Something about a 45-70 however and I may look again at the 86's.

DP

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting both a Marlin 1895 and a Win.1886 both will get you to 300 yards and beyond.The Marlin has Layman 57 the Win. has just standard barrel sights what ever gun you get get some good sights they are a good investment.I can hit a 12x16 in steel plate at 300 with either one but easier with the Marlin because of the sights.

If you can find one of the Browning 1886's made by Miroku, they're really great guns. They don't have the rebounding hammer and safety on the tang like the newer Winchester's and they're quite capable of 300 yards with a good set of sights, like the Marble's tang sight. I used one for over ten years in long range matches in Cowboy Action Shooting and did quite well with it. Could get a little heavy if you're looking for a hunting rifle.
    McLintock

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I should mention the rebounding hammer on the Winchester models is an easy fix. A sharp edge jewlers knife file and 5 minutes of "rasping" fixes that small little issue. You only need to take off the rear stock and there is the offending little piece of metal.
    Once finished our Miruko 86's have never had a light hammer strike or a misfire. But before the operation it was getting awful !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

find you a nice Browning 86 and a throat reamer.
    they come exactly to saami standards and can be picky about bullets and boolits.
    the really good thing about this is most of the original owners had problems with factory ammo and put the guns away without shooting them much.
    I picked mine up a couple of years ago and it looked unfired, I didn't even get a blue streak on a patch covered in sweets.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the current Remlin 1895 is the best value as far as new .45-70 lever actions go. They don't seem to suffer from QC problems nearly as much as the 336 and 1894 have. There are also many reports of people getting them for incredible prices on clearance from big retailers, like sub-$300.00. Used, I would go with a nice JM 1895 or Winchoku 1886. I have a 1979 1895 and it shoots cast great.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Could always go for a cheapy biakal double in 45-70

Fwiw, I have a marlin guide gun in 45-70 and love it.. But I dont shoot past 150yds

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If a single shot is an option, Henry is bringing out a line of them this spring and used H&R's are still pretty common.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The 45/70 is very accurate out to near 1000yds. this is with very accurate BP loads, benchrest, long range tang sights and all. For most other 45/70s, leverguns, and all, I would not shoot as far as 300 yds. on game, 200 would be my max. and even then I would prefer to sneak closer.

I have the Pedersoli 86 in 45/70 and 26"barrel. The reasons I chose this rifle was the 1:18"twist, deep ballard rifling and it is not limited by a short cartridge length requirement of the Marlin.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast