MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good results w/ 320gr cast

Boolit Buddy

Good results w/ 320gr cast

44 cal 320gr cast bullet hammered this boar

Boolit Master

Yes it did!!! This made me smile I just cast a bunch of these, well close mine are about 318 gas checked and pcd! Anyhow it's for our annual hog hunt I have a Blackhawk and contender and a winny 94 that all shoot them good sized at .4325 the winny shoots the lights out with this boolit over a full dose of h110, just a little less for the handguns! Very nice looking pistol and a mean and dirty looking hog!!! Details please!

Banned

Nice!

Boolit Buddy

About a 35 yd shot at last light. Thankfully the illum reticle made it easy. He dropped in his tracks and twitched for 20 seconds or so.
    It went thru this pig and into a little 30 pounder. My buddy noticed the 30 lb-er limping off. Next day we tracked a blood trail to a hide w/feet attached and a 40'-50' trail of bones! The other pigs in the herd ate their wounded comrade!
    Last edited by cowboybart; 02-21-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    thats the boolit i use . moulds made by LBT water quenched come out at 320 with w.w. with 21.5 grns of 296 0r h110 its a two hander! we've killed a couple crippled bull elk that got into the jack pines with it had a black bear invite me to lunch while bow hunting one year i declined three times,once would have been enough but he was to close .bullets never slowed down.veral makes a good mould,thats the only load i shoot in my 44

Banned

I like heavy in my .44's. 310 Lee and the boolit I made that is a close copy of the LBT but is 330 gr.
    I have used the LBT and they always worked. Aint no fleas on a .44!

Boolit Buddy

I cheated and used J-werd bullets on these

200 gr JSP from a 356 Win. It was a 30-30, but I had it rebored by JES.

This one ran 25 yds or so. 240gr JSP - 44 mag

Boolit Man
    Outstanding! Where did you hunt these hogs? I'm going this weekend in Texas, near Lake Somerville. Nice shooting.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Boolit Buddy

Near Menard. About 130 miles W of San Antonio

It is rare that a hog will stop a heavy 44 bullet, I have never found one in a hog, yet. I have found a 170gr flat point 30-30 bullet from a 10 inch Merrill went full length from head to ham. Then found a 200gr from a 357 Super Mag out of an 8 inch DW after it broke the left shoulder joint and took out about 4 inches of leg bone before cutting the heart in half and stopping on the inside of the right shoulder plate, looked like a golf ball under the plate. For a handgun, that 44 is tough on hogs and it gives great results. Thumbs up guys.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboybart View Post
    44 cal 320gr cast bullet hammered this boar

Looks just like the same gun/scope/grips that I use. Along with the LBT 320 grain WFN projectile. But they outlawed hog hunting here in Missouri. The Conservation Department claims that when a person shoots one and scatters the group of them, they multiply even faster and you get twice as many. So, now they are going to use professional hunters and trap them in their entire groups in pens of some sort and then exterminate the whole group. They are getting to be a real problem here in Missouri. So, I am going back to just shooting deer with my Redhawk 44 MAG.

Boolit Buddy

MO hogs must be different than TX hogs. My friend and I took 6 out of this sounder of about 20. They came back to the same feeding spot almost like clockwork. Actually more joined them. This boar was taken on the second to last night and it was the first time he was in the group.
    After I left, my buddy and his uncle took 18 in 5 days. Some from this group and some from another group. They clipped the tails ($25 bounty) and let the meat rot.

Banned

That is crazy, hunting makes more hogs??? They will never be killed fast enough to control. Big rats is all they are. Only takes 2 to tango.
    I have had some wild hog meat and I don't like it. The fat sucks and the meat is dry.
    Maybe a real young one would be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    That is crazy, hunting makes more hogs??? They will never be killed fast enough to control. Big rats is all they are. Only takes 2 to tango.
    I have had some wild hog meat and I don't like it. The fat sucks and the meat is dry.
    Maybe a real young one would be OK.
    Fat what Fat lol. I have not taken a Hog in South TEXAS that had fat lol. So there were no ribs to eat to speak of. Mainly back straps and hams. We usually cut them up and throw a ham or two in the smoker. . Best size is usually under 200 LBS.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

The meat I had was from NW Florida and the fat was yellow orange. Said to be from a root they eat.

Well as we know what an animal eats will make a difference. The ones we will harvest usually have a decent supply of corn and some wheat along with there natural forage.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Perma-Banned
    I'd say that Cast boolit did a heck of a number on that hog! Nice grips on the Ruger! I have set that look identical on my Ruger GP-100

who made those grips? do they make 'em for the SBH?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Looks just like the same gun/scope/grips that I use. Along with the LBT 320 grain WFN projectile. But they outlawed hog hunting here in Missouri. The Conservation Department claims that when a person shoots one and scatters the group of them, they multiply even faster and you get twice as many. So, now they are going to use professional hunters and trap them in their entire groups in pens of some sort and then exterminate the whole group. They are getting to be a real problem here in Missouri. So, I am going back to just shooting deer with my Redhawk 44 MAG.
    I have heard it said that the Three S's might apply here,,,,,

Shoot It, Smoke It, Shut Up about It.

More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I am shooting 320 grain cast in my 44 special - 1873 clone - 16 grains of 2400. Shoots point of aim (non-adjustable sights). I just bought a chronograph. Been wondering about velocity and pressure. The cases drop out of the cylinder and it seems to not be "Hot".

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast