Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the word on the SIG P320?

What's the word on the SIG P320?

My wife hates her Glock 19, so we looked at some other compact 9mm pistols, and came home with a SIG 320 compact. Is anybody using one, and do you have any observations to share? I know the throat is short. Ammo I had loaded using the Lee 125 RFN for the KKM tube in the Glock had to have the bullets seated .050" deeper to pass the plunk test.

The jury is still out on these guns, they have only been around for 3 years.

The Army just bought $580 Million Dollars worth of them so they must have impressed someone. I know they beat out the Glock 19 by about $50 per gun so that probably had something to do with the buy.

Once they get in service we'll see how they hold up. Sig makes good guns so you shouldn't have any big problems.

If your wife hated her Glock, why did she like this gun? They are very similar in nature and operation.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

It shoots like a Sig, like the 19 shoots like a Glock. Just that certain feel each brand has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I had the earlier DAO P250. My understanding is they changed it to striker fired, other than that its the same gun. I had one briefly, got rid of it, it was not the most reliable gun. It would FTE sometimes, leave the empty partially extracted to gum up the next round. I expect why the guy who had it before wanted to get rid of it, maybe the guy I sold it to still has it. I was in the market for a 357 sig recently, and well you can get the 320 in it. After the 250 I was a bit leery of the 320, but fine will look it over. The ambi slide lock was useless. Oh you could lock it open, just not let the slide close. It was bending, and no matter how hard you pushed on it wouldn't release the slide with a mag in it. I gave it a chance, bought something else.

One thing you will notice real quick is the difference in mag prices. They were not easy to find and only ones who sold them were sig at $50 ea.

Its 'modular' but I never found it to be true. It was near impossible to find the extra parts. They could have used inserts for the plastic frame, but went with making you buy a $40 frame. And the conversion was not much less than buying a second pistol. It was the whole top end.

I agree about the value of the "modularity." Margaret shut her trigger finger in a car door a few years ago, and the little "hard-on" in the Glock trigger hurts it no matter what I did to smooth it. She loves the SIG trigger. Smooth and rounded, with no projections.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    What does she hate about the Glock in particular? How many rounds has she put through it? I like Glocks alot but they do have a learning curve. The P320 is not an inexpensive gun either.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

They basically took a Glock, got rid of its one kinda-sorta external safety so now the gun has none at all, made it more complicated with extra parts, raised the bore axis so it climbs more when you shoot it, and came up with a "modular" concept that only the nerds will actually use.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    " Margaret shut her trigger finger in a car door a few years ago, "

I caught the last joint of my ring finger under the steel roller of a Thistle's center board thirty years ago and it still doesn't work quite right. lucky it didn't shear it off.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you're leaning towards the P320 I would suggest giving the Ruger American Compact a look. It's very similar to the P320 and costs about $200.00 less. I haven't read about too many problems with them either.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    I got interested when the army adopted the sig p320. Got a full size one with the Red dot mounted. The sights are high enough that you can use the tritium sights or the red dot. The red dot makes it an accurate lead dispenser. I didn't have any 9mm molds so I used the lee 125 gr .358 bullet. My bullets are Hytek coated. I have not have any sort of hiccup with my loads. The trigger is nice, not a lot of travel. Its the first striker fired gun that has really interested me.

The one we bought came with a holster and tritium sights, so that's about $150 of the $600 price. Puts the gun itself in a very competitive position. The Ruger has the same sort of trigger lever as the Glock, so that was out. I thought she might go for an M&P, but the trigger is textured and hinged, and she found it uncomfortable, too. The thing she really likes to shoot is DA revolvers, and this was as close to that feel as we found at our store.

Skeeter2, what sort of dot did you put on yours? Is it a SIG item or aftermarket?

Boolit Man
    Four armed,

I got the RX model which comes with the Sig Romeo sight on it. The sight goes off when you lay the gun down and comes back on when you pick it up. It is the only sight that you can use and still see the open sights.

I can't stand the Glock Trigger the way it comes as it grinds a groove into you finger, and after you fire 800 rounds over 4 days it becomes Semi Permanent.

The trick with Glock Triggers is to trim that safety down with an X-acto knife to where it is flush with the front face of the trigger when it is fully depressed. When you press the trigger the safety is not proud but it still works as advertised. It is the first thing I do to any Glock I get.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-21-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy,I did the same thing to hers, but I must have left it a little too high, as it still hurt the finger. (She really did some damage to it with that car door.)

Skeeter, what powder charge are you using with that Lee bullet?

Boolit Man
    I using red dot! 4.2 grains from the Lyman manual.

Boolit Grand Master

Eh, it's another polymer striker fired handgun with a spotty history with the 250. Modularity is something Inpersoanlly don't need. I've enjoyed my M&P series of guns and will likely get a second series M&P. They've been 100%. The non-M&P calibers, specifically 10mm, I use my Goock Model 20SF which is my bang around the woods gun. Full power 180-200gr projectiles with a capacity of 15+1 is quite a bit of firepower for 2 and 4 legged vermin.

I hooe she enjoys her 320. Give us an update after a while.

My favorite 9mm Sig is my P226 Tacops. I've never had any other pistol fit my hand as perfect as that gun except for my 1911's with the M&P a close runner up.

Boolit Buddy
    The "modularity " aspect of the Sig 320 makes it very economical to rehab the firearm from normal and accidental wear. The frame (plastic) is so well formed that it looks like metal. The grip fills the hand and feels great to me. It is more rigid than the Glock frame....do not know how that effects recoil dissipation. The bore is higher. "If" they hold up, I think it is a great choice for the military and civilian market.

I purchased a Sig P260 on the total feel of the grip....just a little wider and longer. The additional weight also reduces felt recoil for my arthritic hands.

Banned

I will get one when the dust settles. 320 looks to me like possible "perfection"
    The real kind, not Austrian Perfection, but German Perfection

I feel for your wife's finger problems. I has shingles in my right hand about 12 years ago. Shooting a Glock is ike picking up glass shards in a hurry! Very painful. I love my M&P's and won't let them go but the 320 with an Optic is one sweet combination and I suspect will be a winner in IDPA.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 02-28-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast