Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Using Black Powder ?

Using Black Powder ?

Hello Everyone,

Wondering if anyone is shooting 2F or 3F Black Powder in their inline rifles.
    If so...What type of load are you shooting? What type of bullet and what powder charge?
    I'm currently shooting a Hornady .452 HP/XTP bullet with a MMP Sabot. Sitting atop 90 gr. of KIK 2F Black Powder.
    Da Okie/ Now known as Vearl

In Remembrance

I have used "real" black powder in my inlines for several years. I dislike the corrosiveness of Pyrodex and am not fond of the hard "crud ring" that comes with triple seven. In most hunting situations, a second reloading does not encounter a lot of fouling, but when shooting targets, I do wipe the bore with a slightly damp patch after each shot. I have used both FFFg and FFg in my two .50s with good results. In both cases I worked up to the most accurate load 5 grains at a time--something you cant do with pellets. Best accuracy seems to be right around 70 grains FFFg and 80 grains FFg using "black" sabots and .452" 280 grain home-cast boolit. Recently I tried using Goex's "Olde Eynford" FFFg and got slightly better accuracy with almost no noticeable fouling for several shots without wiping the bore.

70 - 80gr. Diamondback FFg with either a home cast .50cal. T/C Maxi-Ball or green MMP sabots and either a Lyman #429421 (home cast; unsized) or the RCBS version of it. The gun has a 1:28" twist and for some reason isn't nearly as accurate with FFFg as with FFg. Btw, it will shoot a .490" patched RB accurately enough @50 yd. with 60gr. FFg, but accuracy falls off noticeably with greater charges.

Of course. Homemade powder, around 2F, and paper patched slicks. Works in my .375, .45, and .50. all of them shoot lights out when loaded correctly.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Around 80 grains of graf ffg saboted 240 grain
    Its to bad so many people dont know how much better real black is than those pellets and subs

Boolit Master

54 cal with a sub

UMMMMMMMMMMM............ this group was shot from a 54 cal. renegade, 54 cal T/C lead maxi-ball using 90 gr. PYRODEX 100 yards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0201171543_Burst01_resized.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I used black powder in a Remington 700 inline with a 348gr Power Belt HP. 100gr's of 2f and it shot great, I could load a second shot with no problem. Killed nicely.

Me too. I use 80 grains 3f with a 260 grain pure lead hollow point in a sabot. I prefer the real thing to any of the substitutes I have tried.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good set up you have, what grain slug. I have shot 260 gr PT Harvester slug, with black .45 crush rib sabots in my TC Omegas, and 95grs of 2ffg, 903ffg, took deer out to 200yds. My wife has taken 12 or so with Knight Wolverine, 90grs 2ffg black, and a 295grHP powerbelt, kills like lightning!