Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Reloading Remington STS with Lee 7/8oz Slug Load Data

Banned

Reloading Remington STS with Lee 7/8oz Slug Load Data

I could really use some help here guys!

I have a Lee 7/8 oz lead slug, Remington 12ga STS 2 3/4 hulls, Winchester 209 primers, ClayBuster CB0178-12 wads which are replacements for the WAA12L, and IMR 700-x powder.

I'm not able to find much about reloading slugs in several of the Lyman reloading handbooks including the 49th edition and so I went to Hodgdon's website where I came across the reloading data and put in my information which gave me the only results of the following:

Hodgdon HS-6 powder, Win. 209 primer, WAA12L wads, and 38.0 grains of powder.

The problem is that Hodgdons HS6 isn't inexpensive or readily available where I live. It has to be ordered, costs nearly 30.00 for a pound, and plus my local sporting goods shop said there was an additional 30.00 hazardous shipping fee on top of that which makes the total 60.00 just for a pound of powder that also has the main problem of the formula saying that I need 38 grains just for one shell :-O

So I need help from others who might know how many grains of the IMR 700-X is needed... I'm guessing that shouldn't need no more than 18-22 grains with this powder, and so will let me reload so many more shells than hodgdons HS6.

I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Not the specific powder you inquired about, but in case some of these are available in you area, this might be helpful;
    http://www.survivorlibrary.com/libra...der_manual.pdf

But there are many MANY loads available here for the 700-X powder with a 7/8 ounce load;
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/imr_reloading.pdf

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by finstr View Post
    thanks but I already have these instructions that came with my 7/8 oz slug mold and doesn't give any information for IMR 700-X powder

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    Not the specific powder you inquired about, but in case some of these are available in you area, this might be helpful;
    http://www.survivorlibrary.com/libra...der_manual.pdf

But there are many MANY loads available here for the 700-X powder with a 7/8 ounce load;
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/imr_reloading.pdf
    If there is a load formula that uses the IMR 700X for 7/8 oz lead shot load, do I just use that formula for a 7/8oz Lee slug?

Good grief....I can't believe how many different powders are made and then how the load data can change so much just over say an 1/8 oz difference in the load when using the same powder...I've seen them change the primer type just over 1/8oz difference and so starting to think that they're going overboard just a bit and the same primer could have been used without any significant differences.

Yea, it's kinda of mind-boggling how huge the charts are and how many options there are. It can be overwhelming if you're new (like me). I've learned to scan these charts quickly under hull brand, then, shot weight looking for a major aspect, (like powder brand), then scan for the powder I've got. At that point, about all you've got left is what wad you need. To the best of my (limited) knowledge, "yes" you can adjust the ordinance type as long as the weight stays the same. The vast majority of the time, folks say "weight is weight", but in some cases the size of the ordinance can affect the wad. So if it'll fit and the weight is the same, you're good to go.

I've locked myself into a few specific criteria and scan from there. You'll get used to it and will be reading those charts like a pro in no time.

Banned
    COOOOOOOL....I got it figured out! I started off by saying how "I have a Lee 7/8 oz lead slug, Remington 12ga STS 2 3/4 hulls, Winchester 209 primers, ClayBuster CB0178-12 wads which are replacements for the WAA12L, and IMR 700-x powder." and after not getting any direct information on how to go about the full procedure with this load data, I started experimenting by starting on the low end of how many grains of powder to use. What I found with the 700x was that 18 grains was PLENTY of power but since it's a much faster burning powder than the 800x, less of the 700x is needed and so this caused there to be less space taken up in the hull making the wad shove down further into the hull than what was needed. I then started trying the 800x and using the load data for 7/8oz shot load. I put in 24 grains of the 800x and gave it a go....IT WORKED GREAT! So the whole load data is the Remington 12 gauge STS or Gun Club hulls, Winchester 209 primers, 24 Grains of Hi-Skor 800x powder, ClayBuster CB0178-12 wads which are replacements for the WAA12L, 1/8" thick Nitro Card (x2) in the wad cup, then the 7/8oz Lee Key Drive slug on top of the nitro cards, finished off with a factory 8-point crimp.
    Last edited by Get-The-Lead-Out; 03-02-2017 at 09:04 AM.