RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Henry Lever Guns and Trigger Job and Ejector Question

Boolit Master

Henry Lever Guns and Trigger Job and Ejector Question

I would like to have some of the creep and roughness removed from my Henry .44 mag's trigger. Before I consult a gunsmith, I'm asking you guys whether or not the Henry trigger is one that can be improved. If not, I'm reluctant to pay a gunsmith to "polish" it and charge me a bunch of money.

I've noticed that empties are being kicked out with a tad less force. Before I fix something that ain't broke, can I bend the leaf spring part of the ejector to provide more oomph to the process? I wonder if a stronger extractor spring would aid the ejector.

The rifle performs well, and I'm highly satisfied with it in general. Like many here age has affected my eyesight. Adding a Merit disc to the Skinner aperture sight permitted hitting tin can size objects at 80/100 yards when shooting from a sitting position.

Boolit Master

I have a Big Boy Steel in 45 Colt. I found that the bolt needs to be removed from time to time and cleaned real well in order for the extraction/ejection process to continue in a smooth manner.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Henry BBS in 41 magnum. I think the creep in the trigger is terrible as well. Mine is crisp once you take up the quarter inch of creep it feels like. I have been very busy, so I have just did a little internet searching for a solution and have came up empty. I need to speak to the gunsmith in town to see what he could do or reccomend. I haven't contacted Henry, but think that might be a good option as well. Mine ejects fine if you cycle the action with authority. I have a habit of turning my rifle to the left to cycle the action and grab the spent case with my left hand. My Henry does not like this, and won't feed the next round without moving the lever fore and aft a couple times.

Boolit Master
    Today I installed my .357 Big Boy's ejector and noticed that it worked better. The spring on the .44's ejector is flat without bend. Now I'm wondering whether or not the .357 and .44 use the same ejector spring. The .357 is older than the .44. Can I assume that both use the same ejector unit?

Boolit Master
    Yesterday(2-24-17) I received from Henry a spare ejector unit after having emailed them on 2-20-17. They included an extra extractor unit plus a couple nice key rings. The new ejector fixed the issue. The original spring had become flat and lay straight alongside the ejector. I'm ready to go.

Boolit Master
    My big boy .357 could eject better. On my rifle I think the cause is the extractor. The hook seems to be too far off the bolt face which allows the case to be rather loose when it is drawn back against the ejector. Going to fire an email off to Henry to see what they say. Otherwise the rifle is superb. Seems very accurate with both cast boolits and jacketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    I have a Henry BBS in 41 magnum. I think the creep in the trigger is terrible as well. Mine is crisp once you take up the quarter inch of creep it feels like. I have been very busy, so I have just did a little internet searching for a solution and have came up empty. I need to speak to the gunsmith in town to see what he could do or reccomend. I haven't contacted Henry, but think that might be a good option as well. Mine ejects fine if you cycle the action with authority. I have a habit of turning my rifle to the left to cycle the action and grab the spent case with my left hand. My Henry does not like this, and won't feed the next round without moving the lever fore and aft a couple times.
    Send it back...