Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why doesn't...

Boolit Buddy
    I am really having trouble understanding why the upside down mounting of the press is preferable to the normal mounting procedure. I have used the Lee Push thru sizers for many years and now use the Noe push thru sizers. I assume I must be missing the point of all this upside down press mounting business.

Mike

Banned
    That looks near perfect. Except that in the future, 30 years from now people are going to find it/them when cleaning out Dad's basement, assuming you make more than one, and wonder what it does and who made it and why.

For example, I have a nice reloading press, just one of two known, and both were located in the central Montana area. I can assume that some very talented machinist like your self made them, but never put his name on them, and sold them locally.

Please leave a historical trail.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    If it will accept Lee dies it should accept the NOE push though die also. That's a really neat set up. I'm afraid to ask what one would cost. My wife's family live in Kalispell. It's a nice place. Too bad all the California people are screwing it up.
    A Star die will slide in and have the slightest side to side wiggle. I do not think it would be an issue to use it that way.
    No retention needed

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    I am really having trouble understanding why the upside down mounting of the press is preferable to the normal mounting procedure. I have used the Lee Push thru sizers for many years and now use the Noe push thru sizers. I assume I must be missing the point of all this upside down press mounting business.

Mike
    Mike,
    Some of us find that 'dropping' a boolit into a size die, it will self-align, then pushing it through with the ram, and fall into a container...is easier and faster than the traditional action of sizing upward on a upright reloading press, where you place a boolit on the punch, guide it into the die with your fingers, then push it up into a container or grab it with your hand... YMMV, but I find this to be true, especially with long rifle boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Why doesn't...

There was a guy on YouTube who used the lee classic press right side up and stuck an appropriately sized spring over the ram part. Then you could drop a boolit into that spring and a normal handle pull sized it on the way up thru the die and into the cup catcher.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    What I dont like about using it upright, if you size a lot of wide meplat bullets like I do,
    when you get rolling along and forget to check, the bullets stack and jack the lid off the
    catch can, and dump them all over the floor lol

For using NOE bushings and star adapter I came up with this spacer today
    that just slides in the threaded hole and the die/adapter slides in it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170328_120240_zps4kun6ofn.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Jim, use a rubber band to secure the lid of the bullet catch jar.
    I read about that here a while back, just never remember to take some rubber bands to the garage with me.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12