Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Question on safety precautions

Boolit Buddy

Question on safety precautions

As we all know, casting boolits requires observation of safety procedures, same as handling and shooting firearms.

Good ventilation is necessary. I don't have a garage or shop and there's no way I'd consider casting indoors, so I'm just doing outside in the open. That's about as good of ventilation as you can get. Most days if the wind is calm this is no issue. Other days, the wind shifts, and this concerns me in terms of avoiding lead exposure. When the wind is shifting I can't always be positioned upwind of the pot.

I don't want to get poisoned doing something I'm coming to really enjoy. My question is, should I get a fan of some kind and set it behind my pot to get airflow going, and will that even work in the open with a shifting breeze? Or, should I just avoid casting on days with a variable breeze?

Boolit Master

Just how hot are you running your pot? At normal casting temperatures lead doesn't give off fumes.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    Just how hot are you running your pot? At normal casting temperatures lead doesn't give off fumes.
    I don't have a thermometer. However, having read a lot of information about casting and about how lead behaves at certain temps, I don't believe I'm exceeding 725 at the high end. I've been high enough once to get the gold sheen showing tin oxidizing out of the alloy, but I don't routinely get that hot. I understand that that starts happening around 700 or so.

Moderator Emeritus

I also do all my casting in garage. The door is on east, with predominant wind from the west so so it rarely is an issue. However, I have two small exhaust fans ON my cart, behind the RCBS Pro-melt; when the wind gets sketchy, I've been known to simply lean a 1/2 sheet of plywood against a saw-horse in front of garage, and that generally works as an awesome baffle.
    To concur with jamesp81, I've also been told the alloy is not necessarily your worry -- but, enough people give precautions re both the stuff used for flux (if not impurities released) as well as "mystery metals" in the alloy -- I, too, do not like to take chances.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

go to habitat for humanity store and get an old kitchen hood, usually about 5 or 10 bucks, mount it over your pot and you have ventilation and light all in one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    I don't have a thermometer. However, having read a lot of information about casting and about how lead behaves at certain temps, I don't believe I'm exceeding 725 at the high end. I've been high enough once to get the gold sheen showing tin oxidizing out of the alloy, but I don't routinely get that hot. I understand that that starts happening around 700 or so.
    You'll be fine. Just don't lick the boolits or your fingers. Your fingers will be fine after a good wash though.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    If memory serves, lead doesn't begin vaporizing until about 1200 degrees. I usually just tell people to wear a long sleeve shirt, maybe gloves, and wash your hands before reaching into that bag of Cheetos.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    You'll be fine. Just don't lick the boolits or your fingers. Your fingers will be fine after a good wash though.
    Actually, I always do a full shower after casting. Just to be safe.

I might pickup a box fan if I can find one cheap at good will, but I probably won't get in a hurry to do it.

Banned

the gold sheen is tin and it starts at 750.
    put the fan on the other side of the put so it pulls the smoke away.
    if you go blowing air all over your stuff you won't maintain any sort of consistent temperature.
    if you say fumes again i'll slap you.

Boolit Buddy
    I never said fumes. Promise

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    You are being watched.

Banned

Boolit Master
    I have not said much about this before. but since my health issues I have been doing some investigating. this is what I have found out casting in the house is far less dangerous then drinking diet sodas. drinking out of plastic. heating food in the microwave in plastic. storing food in plastic.

Banned

drinking water out of plastic bottles that have sat in the sunshine or been frozen in them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    If memory serves, lead doesn't begin vaporizing until about 1200 degrees. I usually just tell people to wear a long sleeve shirt, maybe gloves, and wash your hands before reaching into that bag of Cheetos.
    It's as simple as that, really. You're not working with polonium-210 so common sense will keep you safe. I wouldn't sit near a melting pot doing deep breathing exercises (smoke from fluxing, not lead fumes) and if the wind shifted I'd just move to one side or the other...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Safety should be the first concern in boolit casting. First, of course, is sufficient ventilation and avoiding lead exposure. Hand washing, and not letting anything of a liquid nature near your pot would be next. Cold weather? Warm stuff up so condensation is not a problem. The tinsel fairy ain't fun!

While watching YouTube, there was this fellow that did a "tutorial" on casting, and he was dressed in t-shirt, shorts, and athletic shoes! "Hmmmmm..." sez I; my father was a welder during World War II, and told me of needing to crawl under the keels of the ships he was helping build, and having the molten metal get inside of his leather clothing. The scars were there years later!

When I was casting, even in the summer, I wore 100% cotton pants...Levis, if you got 'em, a wool or heavy cotton long-sleeve shirt, wool or cotton sox that didn't leave a gap between trouser bottoms and sock tops, sturdy shoes, a leather welder's apron and leather welding gauntlets from Harbor Freight. Overkill? Maybe, and I never had an accident that made use of them, but...I remembered my dad's scars. I only used my sunglasses for eye protection then, but now, a a face shield or goggles would definitely be on my list. Like in boxing;"Protect yourself at all times!"

Now: be careful about the blue jeans you choose. 100% cotton! My nephew was cutting rebar one day, and the sparks caught his Walmart specials on fire, he thinks, due to the synthetic mix in the jeans. Also, synthetic melts and sticks to the skin, causing more serious burns.

Sniper and I could be twins at the casting pot. I also wear a baseball cap, backwards. And wash my hands with COLD water and soap when I'm done.

Boolit Grand Master

As others have said, You'll be fine. Try to avoid any smoke that you get when you flux or put dirty lead in your pot. Keep your hands away from your eyes or lips, don't eat or drink around the pot. A heavy long sleeve shirt, long pants and boots will offer protection if you have a spill. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    More like 3180 degrees F, to be exact. I have cast a lot of boolits at 1000 degees. I usually get the best results at 800 plus.