Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Large sheets of lead

Boolit Mold

Large sheets of lead

I have a friend who works for the phone company and has access to scrap lead that comes in sheets about .25" thick and about 24" to a side. What would be the easiest way to cut these down so they would fit in a furnace? Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'm guessing it's pure. On 1/4"a wide chisel will work, sawsall, circular saw. I've used a chainsaw on large hunks and radial miter saw.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

If the cutter has large hands, a large set of tin snips works. I have to make the cuts one slice at a time since mine are not quite large enough.

Boolit Buddy
    power wood splitter if you happen to have one otherwise a stump and nice sharp axe would shear it to pieces Or get bigger smelting pot folded in about half it would fit in a propane tank smelter

Boolit Grand Master

Set them on a block of wood and whack them with an ax...works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Set them on a block of wood and whack them with an ax...works for me.
    Yep. Roll them, stomp the rolls flat, hack them off with an axe or hatchet.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Bub
    I have cut up a lot of sheet lead from drywall used in X-ray room over the years. Use a utility knife with a new blade.

Just score the lead a couple of times, bend it back and forth a couple of times and it tears apart. Easy Peezie.

Boolit Master
    When I came by some sheet lead just like you describe I used a sharp hatchet to cut while holding the edge off the ground. Once you make the first slit its easy to keep it moving. Then I roll the cut off strips into small rolls to store for the pot at next smelt. Then into ingots. No lead waste when you cut it with a hatchet.

Banned

the 1/4" stuff is hard to cut with tin snips.
    the razor blade and bend works pretty well.
    I usually roll it up and pound it flat with a 6 or 8 lb hammer then cut it into 6" lengths with the porta-band.

Boolit Master

Find a bigger pot?

In Remembrance

I salvaged an X-ray rooms walls once that were lead with drywall. If it wasn`t bad enough getting the drywall off it was the paper stuck the lead to contend with. Anyway I used a 6 lb. mini sledge and kept folding it over and hammering it flat till I had a block that fit my smelt pot and then rendered it down. The fumes of the paper burning off and the glue on it kept me a good distance up wind of the pot.Robert

Boolit Buddy

I'm retired from the phone company. The scoring and bending works. Your friend also has access to something else. We called it encapsulant. A two part mix poured into splices. It's sets up in 24 hrs. It's also know as BALLISTIC GEL ! ( and its reuseable, just mix and pour more into into a bulle hole )

Boolit Master

Could you roll it?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Roll it up and use a hatchet to cut it up to handy lengths

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a Good Score and a good friend!

I still get phone company lead occasionally and I've used all of the methods listed above. I prefer to smash it until it fits my smelting pot. You can cut it with a chisel, a hand saw, power saw, ax, hatchet, just about anything. A large air compressor and a air chisel works ok. If you use a saw arrange to catch the chips.

Phone company lead is probably not pure but is very soft. Probably in the 98% range. I've shot a lot of in in Black Powder rifles.

Boolit Master
    What a score! Congratulations! If it was isotope lead sheets which are much thinner, I use my gardening hand hedge shears but I don't know about .25" sheets.

Boolit Master
    I used an ax it worked for me 1/4 in thick pure lead ax went rite through layed on a 4x4 post.

Boolit Buddy
    I am SERIOUSLY JEALOUS you have that problem ...

Boolit Grand Master

A circular saw with a fine toothed blade would cut it quickly also. A little light oil or kerosene to lubricate it so the saw slides easy and the lead dosnt gauld