MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEE RGB die set versus HOR American die set

"Same old argument...different thread...some people appreciate a quality tool and it's not always the most expensive. Some people really don't care and the rest of them don't know the difference!
    With rifle die sets it takes an instrument to tell the difference...a 'concentricity gauge' and then you have to use perfect brass to compare one set to another. It's all relative in the end."
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I prefer the Hornady dies.

In pistol dies, the Titanium Nitride (TiNi) coated ring is harder and has less resistance than the straight carbide sizing ring that Lee uses. The TiNi is also less brittle than carbide.

The Lee dies also have a shorter threaded section than most other dies. It can be a problem on a 550b, where you need to lock the die from underneath the tool head.

I prefer the Hornady inline seating die. I seem to get more consistent seating with that die than with the Lee.

Cosmetically, the Lee dies seem to develop surface rust more easily than other dies.

I'm not sure if the Great American dies have the zip spindle decapper. An improvement over the Lee decapping rod and collet. Easier to set the depth; but you still get the slip if the pin can't decap the round.

When getting the Hornady dies, I generally go with their New Dimension dies. One you factor in the 100 free bullets, the price drops.

You can make good ammo with either. As is usually the case, it's not the arrow; it's the Indian.

In rifle dies, I like and use their factory crimp die. I also like their collet neck sizer dies.

Boolit Master
    FWIW I just bought a Lee RGB die set Caliber .308 Winchester. I cleaned the sizer die and sized my first case, then examined it. The neck and the area just below the shoulder were scuffed up with fine longitudinal scratches. I easily fixed this using dowels with 600 grit sandpaper--took a few minutes. However I have never had to do this with a new sizer die from Lyman, RCBS, or Pacific. Many might be a little upset that they are not polished better. In my case, I can live with it.