WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Jerky, don't know about this stuff?

Banned

Jerky, don't know about this stuff?

Neighbor had given me ground deer meat from where he got it cut. I have a jerky shooter so thawed it and put in a big bowl. It is fully speckled with deer fat and some silver skin. None was trimmed at all.
    I was going to dry it but gave up that idea, got the plastic screens out and am using the smoker, 2 hours of smoke then finish drying. Maybe it will melt out most fat.
    Still a bunch in the bowl, had 4# of the stuff and I know it made poor chili last time I used it.
    I look at my own ground meat and it is clean and lean.
    I had to get rid of his. Let you know later.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Neighbor had given me ground deer meat from where he got it cut. I have a jerky shooter so thawed it and put in a big bowl. It is fully speckled with deer fat and some silver skin. None was trimmed at all.
    I was going to dry it but gave up that idea, got the plastic screens out and am using the smoker, 2 hours of smoke then finish drying. Maybe it will melt out most fat.
    Still a bunch in the bowl, had 4# of the stuff and I know it made poor chili last time I used it.
    That will spoil the whole thing. Deer fat melts at a temperature higher than the human body so it solidifies in your mouth and is inedible. Tallow is the word. None can be on the meat at all. You did the right thing tossing his mess.

Banned

I'm going to let it smoke anyway. I might turn up to 200° later. Right now I am at 175°.

Vendor Sponsor

You will be disappointed
    As stated above
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

I know, could not get enough spice on chili.
    I don't know what the neighbor does with his. May put a wick in it for light!

Banned

Well it is greasy but a lot left. It has a very good flavor though, no wild taste. A little salty so beer is needed.
    Can't store it long is all or keep it in the fridge. I will make the rest tomorrow, all is good.

Banned

jerky shooter jerky sucks enough as it is with good meat. With venison fat in it I think id keep it for dog snacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    jerky shooter jerky sucks enough as it is with good meat. With venison fat in it I think id keep it for dog snacks.
    I enjoy mine, I think it comes out great and since it never lasts I take it my friends like it as well.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Moderator Emeritus

I just lay 2 chopsticks on top of parchment paper(or waxed) make a log of e meat and lay it between the chopsticks, top with more parchment paper then roll it out with my pastry pin. score with a knife and lay the parchment in the smoker

Made 6lbs of beef jerky today. It'd been a few weeks, and the masses were getting restless.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I enjoy mine, I think it comes out great and since it never lasts I take it my friends like it as well.
    Same here, it doesn't last long when I make it!

Another jerky shooter guy here. Nothing worse than ripping your teeth out trying to tear apart the sliced kind.

Banned

I like it both ways but when I looked at my nice roasts I backed off, then seen the bags of the ground in there. Could not see through the bags, those commercial things.
    Today I will use the other nozzle for sticks so fat will roll off better. I figure to dry 2 hours before adding the smoke.
    I wish I could find the big foot recipe.
    I would not feed jerky to my little dog, too much spice and salt. When I did make it for dogs I just dried plain meat.

Banned

I like a piece of jerky that you have to chew. Not one you can suck through a straw

I had always made solid meat jerky until about 6 months ago. Thought I'd give the ground version a go and bought an LEM Jerky Cannon. It works well, and makes uniform jerky. Whole is still my preferred method though. Use eye of round almost exclusively, but I'll grab a bottom round roast or a London Broil if it looks good.

I always freeze the meat and half thaw it, then run it through the deli slicer to get 3/16"-1/4" slices. I always go with the grain, rather than across it. Lately, I've been using a meat tenderizer mallet with the serrated side to make it easier to chew. Comes out somewhere between the super chewy, and what you'd expect from the ground meat. Crowd seems to prefer this method above the others.

For the past 20 years or so, I'd only made Kikkoman and Lawry's Lemon pepper with a dash of garlic powder. Well liked, but here's the recipe that has everyone going nuts lately:

1-1/2 Cups Kikkoman Soy Sauce
    1/4 Cup Worcestershire
    2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    2 tsp Lawry's Lemon Pepper
    1 tsp Liquid Smoke
    1 tsp Chopped Garlic
    1 tsp Cayenne
    1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

My Excalibur 9 tray typically holds about 6lbs of meat, so I add this marinade to that much meat and let it marinade over night. Seems to be about the right ratio because I don't end up with any waste marinade.

Made some on Sunday. It's gone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I like a piece of jerky that you have to chew. Not one you can suck through a straw
    Yup, so do I and I too was reluctant to try it. I bought my nesco kit and stashed it 2 or 3 years before I tried it and was impressed enough that I went right out and bought a LEM upgrade, haven't looked back since . Now I grind more than I used to since I don't have to save all the small cuts for jerky.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~