MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: 38-55

Boolit Buddy

38-55

I originally put this in the blackpowder section but want to shoot smokeless most of the time....

I recently picked up a 94 winchester in 38-55....need to do a better slug of barrel but as of now it looks @ .380. Want to run some paper patch boolits through her mostly to help polish the bore up some from years of not being cleaned much plus have always wanted to give it a try. Don't mind loading it one at a time plus it will be a learning deal. Don't want to invest in a mold right now but I have a lee 200gr .358 mold for 38spec. Cast some up and they come out at .3595 or so with 20.1 lead. Can I patch that up enough to work. Looks like it but would probably have to do 3 wraps of paper but most stuff I've watched says 2 wraps. Not looking for killer accuracy so that's not really an issue. Just want to give it and try before I try it for my 45-70 sharps.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Three wraps of paper is acceptable. The big problem is getting them to release the bullet completely as it leave the barrel. You can also use different size (thickness) papers. I have some 20# paper that was so thick I couldn't use it with the bullets I had.

I would cast my bullets hot and wrap un-sized. That should give you the largest slug to start with that you can get.
    Good Luck
    Brodie

A suggestion to get you started. Pin gauge the bore, and get a push through sizer .001" larger. Then go to these guys: http://missouribullet.com/index.php and see that they have soft, unlubed, unsized 38-55 bullets. Then check the ID of a fired case, and that will be your target diameter for the bullet once patched. Choose paper accordingly to hopefully produce that size without sizing. Size the bullets in your push through die, patch, load over a compressed charge of the appropriate powder. Make sure the length is correct so the patch just starts to engage the rifling when the lever is closed. If your powder is too fast for a full case, use cream 'o' wheat as filler so you have a compressed charge. You need that since you're using slip fit bullets and they need support underneath. You should get very good results with this method, and you can fine tune it from there. Shooting .357 bullets with three wraps of paper is only going to make you frustrated.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    According to a old 45th edition Lyman hand book. (Ideal & Lyman Molds)
    38-55 dia cast poured .377 to .380 depending on the molds fill out.
    357 dia cast poured .354 to .358 " " "
    38 Spec dia cast .355 to .359 " " "
    (2) two wraps of green bar garners a increase in Diameter near .12 thousands of a inch.
    Do the math.