Inline FabricationReloading EverythingPBcastcoTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Thin 45/45/10

Thin 45/45/10

Digging around in my spotless and totally organized loading area I located a quart of white label 45/45/10 that I bought some time back. I am getting ready to load some 311299's for the Garand and plan on lubing and checking them in my lubersizer. I would like to put on a coat of 45/45/10 for a little extra protection. Can I just dump in some mineral spirits to get a runny 45/45/10 or should I just use it as is?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

If it is thick i just slather it around the base of my boolits and stand up them up to dry.
    A bit more work but it works for me, when i do thin it out, a few drops go along way.
    be well
    Last edited by leebuilder; 02-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Banned

warm it up and add the mineral spirits.
    warm the boolits too and it will go on super thin but nice and even.
    I add a bunch of MS to my 45/45 lube like 50%.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine has always been like peanut butter not even sure if I made it right but it works lol I set a pan of bullets on my hot plate and get them nice and warm put a little dollop on and roll them around

Thin it, and warm it and boolits too like R5R said and do NOT use much. Drops not slurps.

Moderator Emeritus

I am getting ready to load some 311299's for the Garand and plan on lubing and checking them in my lubersizer. I would like to put on a coat of 45/45/10 for a little extra protection.
    While I heat the boolits when I apply my home mixed 45-45-10 (which is the consistency of peanut butter), as others mention...Mine don't have any other lube on them.
    Anyway,
    To better answer your question, yes I think you can thin 45-45-10 to almost the "thinness" that Ben recommends to mix BLL ...which is the thinness of coca-cola. Then apply it on your lubesizer GC/lubed (un-heated) boolits for extra protection. When I do this with BLL, I pour a bit onto a cookie sheet, not enough to make a puddle, just a wet area, and then roll the boolits one by one through the "wet" area and then stand them up on a piece of paper to dry.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I made my first batch of 45/45/10 today and lubed some boolits while it was still warm. A few hours later I picked up the bottles and could tell that the lube was THICK! Felt like peanut butter and I got worried. So I came in to the lube forum to see if I screwed something up. Apparently I made it perfectly!?!?
    God gave us music that we might pray without words