Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Officer and Commander sized pistols

1911 Officer and Commander sized pistols

I've had quite a bug to bring a smaller sized 1911 into the fold. I think the Commander sized version would be real fun. Tonight at the local gun shop there was a very nice Officer's model with its shorter barrel, flat back strap and upswept grip safety was very tempting too.

I'd like to hear any ones observations about owning and shooting one of these before I bring in some safe queens to find a new home. Colt, Kimber or any of the other brands would be great hear about.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I bought a new Colt 1991 officers model back in the early 1990's.

Not my pistol, just a random Google picture of a Colt Officers 1991

It had a very short slide travel range, and was fussy about some types of ammunition generally preferring RN Ball Ammo.

I grew up shooting a 5inch government model 1911, and I never could adapt to the shorter sight radius of the officers model. I always pointed it wrong and shot to a different POI when I'd first pick it up. I sold the Colt in less than a year.

The guy who bought that 1991 Officers model loves it. Ive noticed folks offer to purchase it from him, while shooting it at the public range. I've shot it a couple times since selling it as well, and I still can't warm up to the pistol.

Alternatively some just folks love the officers model. It's definitely a more compact pistol.

I'd prefer a full length slide, and a frame with a bobtail cut rather than the officers model personally.

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 01-11-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    I echo Bullwolf's comments. The Commander size has a shorter slide cycle and I couldn't stand the way it felt when I shot mine. I've got 2 steel 5" Colt's 1911's and 1 Colt's alloy 1911. They all shoot like a dream. Then I picked up an alloy Commander that I hated. All these guns are .45's. Sold it to a Glock shooter and he loves it. Maybe I'll try a steel Commander some day just out of curiosity. Once a guy has one good 1911 5" operating well he can enjoy the liberty of trying other versions. If they don't work for you nothing has been lost.

I've got both a Series 70 and 1991-A1 Combat Commander. Their good feature is that they are just a bit more concealable. But I never liked their balance and feel in the hand as much as the full sized model.

Vendor Sponsor

I have owned Officer's models with full size frames, 14+1 Para frames, and compact frames, prefer the full size frame models for the extra round capacity. All of the Officer's I have owned have experienced recoil plug failures. They crack and the little nib that holds the recoil plug in the slide breaks off and the recoil springs go flying downrange.

They have a shorter but very stiff recoil spring, and the velocity of the slide is the fastest of all 1911s, they are very hard on recoil springs and seem to work better with a guide rod. The recoil impulse it imparts to the shooter's hands and wrists are VERY sharp, they will have your hands shaking in short order, making it hard to hold the sights steady. There really isn't any way to lighten them up too much and shoot target ammo, you can, but they become even more finicky with loads when you want to load 200gr LSWC.

I also owned and carried a Commander I built on a Caspian frame with Colt slide and all aftermarket goodies like McCormick sear, Videcki trigger, Wolff springs, etc and it was a real sweetheart, best 1911 I ever owned. I would recommend the Commander 10 to 1 over the Officer's model any day of the week.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I'm really liking Rugers new line up of 1911 especially the new 9mm I have one of there 45 Commander but that 9 mm is calling to me http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...11/models.html
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

ive got an officers Kimber cdp and a Kimber custom commander. Like them both and they both run good. that said my Kimber pro carry cdp which has a commander length slide and a officers grip frame is probably my favorite carry 1911. Theres no doubt though that the smaller you get the more likely you are to have problems. Especially in a cheaper gun. I once had a springfield commander (if I remember was called the champion) that was an unreliable gun and a springfield officers (think they called it the GI) that would have made a great rock to throw in the lake and that's about it. The cdps though are pretty amazing. Darned little things run like a top and are just as accurate as most of the full sized 1911s ive owned. But they don't give them away. Ive heard the springfield range officers are good little guns too as are the sti officers sized guns. I have a buddy who has two of them and there great little guns
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-11-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You've just got to try it. Some like it, some don't. I prefer a Commander size for carry especially if bobbed. Full size is always good. My EDC is a Colt LW Commander

Boolit Grand Master

Just remember the shorter the barrel, generally the reliability goes down

Moderator Emeritus

A few years back a buddy elected to move to warmer clime, and sold me his 09180 Model Colt 80 Type IV Officers Model Stainless Steel .45ACP. In my opinion -- perhaps I should have underlined "my" -- it was one very pleasing to the eye firearm! The ability to hold one less round than its bigger sisters was of little/no consequence to me. And, at range it had as-expected Colt reliability of function: 100%! IF I recall, it chambered Bullseye-propelled H&G 68's and H&G 130's sans any difficulties. I recall noting the report seemed a bit louder, not surprising from its smaller construction. Lastly, I did NOT notice any great increase in recoil as compared to same bullets fired in a full-sized 1911.
    It is/was indeed a great pistol! An added bonus was buddy passed on six or seven extra mags he had, too.
    Money got short , and it went to another... a regret. Should one appear, and I have the funds then, I'd hesitate not a milli-second in again making this model mine!
    Just MY thoughts...
    BEST!
    geo

I own both Colt Commander and a Kimber officer's 1911 and did own an early Colt stainless Officer model.

Both of the Officer models are remarkably accurate and reliable. To me, the recoil impulse is less than that of the Commander. Because of their short grip, they don't feel as comfortable when holstered (Milt Sparks IWB) and are not as fast for me to draw due to the short grip.

The commander carries well and is as accurate as any non target 1911 but to me, is the kickingest auto I have ever shot. I carry a standard Government Model 1911.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy

I owned a 1911 Officer that shot amazingly accurate and was one of my favorite 1911s. My son now has it and it is probably his favorite 1911. It is a lot easier to conceal than a full sized 1911 and it can hold 7+1. Would I buy another, absolutely.

I have Sigs Kimber and Rugers. I have one in commander size a Sig Spartan. I love it it shoots very well better than my full size Kimber. I dont have any trouble with any of the four I own. I would buy this Sig again. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

The one at the LGS is a stainless Officer for $749 and its looks like the black one up above. I have a Stainless Gold Cup Trophy that runs like a dream. I put a Wilson flat wire recoil spring it after misplacing the target spring. I have more .38 caliber revolvers than I can shoot and was thinking of trading a couple of them along with a G30 and having smaller all metal pistol that is thinner than that wide body G30.

Thanks for all the comments, it's interesting reading these posts. I never heard of a spring flying out the front like that before. I wonder if the slot in the slide for the bushing was too big?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Springfield Champion-Commander size-and a full size Government model. The Champion has a light weight alloy frame so weighs less than the full size. I have spent countless hours on both polishing and tuning. They are both 100% reliable and equally accurate with my loads. The full size is of course more comfortable to shoot. It has to be because of the reasons outlined above. That being said I don't shoot full power loads in my 45's. I mainly punch paper and don't enjoy the recoil of full power loads so I really can't tell much difference in recoil between the two. I figure for self defense even a slow moving 45 is going to make a plenty big hole. The full size is tamer but not by much. The Commander is better for carry purposes but is still to big to be really practical. The Officers model would be a little better but in my opinion still too big for carrying. The shorter barrels can have reliability issues so be prepared to do a little tweaking if needed. I like fooling with 1911's so not a big deal to me.

To answer your question, in my opinion if you want a shorter 1911 go for it. Give it a try. Get it to run well and I don't think you will be unhappy with it. If you get a good deal you can always get your money back.

You can't get too many 1911's.

Good Luck....Floyd

Boolit Master

I have a Colt SS Officers model. I had it reworked in late 86 or 87 and it was a reliable shooter as long as it had fresh recoil springs in it every 350-500 rds. Few years ago I upgraded the spring plug to an EGW guide rod and flat wire spring recoil assembly. Still need to cut a dovetail front sight for a lamped front sight to finish the upgrade. I like the pistol, mine has been accurate and reliable but needed sights and trigger work outta the box to make it shine.
    Last edited by Greg S; 02-19-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Master

Never regretted for a minute the Series 70 Commander .45 ACP I bought new in 1976. It still resides in my desk within easy reach of where I'm sitting right now.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    Commanders are generally GTG.

However, due to being fed by magazines that often do not advance the next round fast enough, the 3.5 inch and smaller 1911's are some of the most jam prone automatics ever created. The original designer did not envision it being shrunk that much, and reliability pays the check. That is.....less reliable.

Stick to the Commander if you need a much less twitchy 1911. Shrinking overmuch is a
    mistake with 1911's.

Moderator Emeritus

I've had several through the years. Currently have three. Two are a pair of Combat Commander Colts, made from Series 70 slides on Series 80 frames by a local highly lauded 'smith who was a "shooting machine" with the .45. He could really make some VERY accurate .45's, but they were target guns, and I had to do a bit of minor modifying to get them to be "carry" guns. The 3rd is a 4" barreled Kimber Lwt. Compact, and they've all been very reliable. The Colts can be a little ticky about OAL, but once you have that sorted out, they're very reliable. Just got the slides milled for low adj. sights a short time ago, and they're even better now. Big, white outline notch in the rear, so I can SEE the sights these days!

There's really no excuse for any company putting out a 1911 that doesn't run reliably now. For many years, buying an old Colt involved turning it over to a good 'smith to make it work well and reliably and consistently, and also accurately sometimes. Now, they're much cheaper than they used to be, because you can buy one off the gun rack and pretty well count on its being reliable. But even now you have to check, because QC varies from day to day sometimes. They ALL have to be checked out on the range WITH THE AMMO YOU INTEND TO USE. Once you've established it's reliable with at least 200 rds. without a malfunction, you're good to go, providing only that you get used to it and can place your shots well with it.

Personally, when I carry, it's usually the little lwt. Kimber that gets the nod, simply because that shorter butt is easier and more reliably "concealed," but the spare mags are always full sized 8-shotters, that also fit. The shorter butt and lighter wt. has never given me a problem, but I'm a stubborn sort, who won't quit until I "master" a gun, at least well enough to defend myself with it as reliably and consistently as I feel I need to get with it. Now that I've increased my belt size, that lighter gun tends to want to pull my pants down less than the steel framed ones. And with a Galso "Avenger" holster, it's ready, easily concealed with even a short jacket, and a good "stopper" that I can shoot and access quickly and reliably. It's really a go-to gun for me these days.

Picking a gun is a very personal thing, but functionality of the various models is very much less a "personal" matter, and yes, the shorter an auto gets, the less "reliable" it can truly be, generally. However, that's a relative comparison, and I trust my little Kimber more than enough to carry it to stake my life on it. When is "good enough," good enough? That's a decision everyone has to make for themselves, of course, but for me, my little Kimber is plenty reliable, and I love its light weight, too, and I can shoot it well. That's about as good as it gets. Murphy can raise his ugly head with ANY gun at ANY time and ANY where. If it ever occurs, I mostly write it off to fate. Many, many rounds keep me comfortably confident, but you never REALLY know until it's all over, and the investigators are doing their thing ... and maybe the docs or embalmer. That's the only truly FINAL aspect of a carry gun, in the end. All can fail. Few do, thankfully.

Boolit Master

I will take a Glock or other newer type than any 1911 archaic design. Back 50 years ago they were great. Not so much now.

Cooper, and others are dead and have been before the new designs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast