WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of casting pot should I buy?

Boolit Grand Master

A lot depends on what you are casting for bullets. Normal pistol bullets in the 32-45 cal range and 100-250 grn range I you can do good with the bottom pours. For the longer bigger rifle bullets ( bullets in the 1.2"-1.5" length ranges) running from 360 - 550 grn I prefer the ladle. Perferably a rowel #1 with its larger spout or a RCBS, or Lyman with the spout opened up to .210" size. These put the lead in fast and a strong flow. I also think the stream is hotter from the ladle if its kept in the pot while not used.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to consider is if on a budget a pretty nice ladle set up can be put together for little money and the left over spent on more or better moulds.

I see some others have already recommended it but the Lee 20lbs bottom pour seems like a good fit. I'm new as well and my research lead me to believe that is a good place to start.

Boolit Master
    I grew up on a Lyman drip O matic. I then found a Lyman 61, 10 lb pot. I love it. I just rebuilt it, and hope it last forever. If I had to do it over, I would get the RCBS Promelt.

Boolit Bub
    My setup is called Bottom Pour ladle.

Stainless Steel 1.5qt Pot $6 at Goodwill (they go on sale as low as $3) depending on the week and sticker color
    Stainless Steel Ladle $1 at Goodwill
    Walmart Electric Coil single cooktop $10

Drill middle of the cup on the ladle with 3/32 drillbit

for 17 dollars i got my setup that does same as 20LB lee Bottom Pour.

Quote Originally Posted by Javater View Post
    My setup is called Bottom Pour ladle.

Stainless Steel 1.5qt Pot $6 at Goodwill (they go on sale as low as $3) depending on the week and sticker color
    Stainless Steel Ladle $1 at Goodwill
    Walmart Electric Coil single cooktop $10

Drill middle of the cup on the ladle with 3/32 drillbit

for 17 dollars i got my setup that does same as 20LB lee Bottom Pour.
    Someplace there is a YouTube video of a guy using that set up and it looked like it worked pretty well. He just put the mold over the larger pot of lead on his heat (propane as I recall), pulled some up in the ladle and let the stream from the hole in the ladle bottom flow into the mold. Was doing a 6 cavity pretty much boom and done.

Myself I can only really see myself buying a 6 cavity either used (good deal) or maybe for 7.62x39 but my preference has become 4 cavity, productive but not too heavy when filled, less tiring. None that I have, including 200 rifle or 250 grain pistol give me any problem with a ladle pour. Me doing it wrong sometimes has issues but nothing to do with how the lead is being dispensed.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12