Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Waters - Has passed .......

The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    In my opinion one of two great reloading writers, the other was Dean Grinnell who wrote for Gun World!

Dean got me into casting my own pistol and later rifle boolits, Ken showed me the right way to reload safely!

Never met either of them and my life is poorer because of it but their work is still out there for the newbies to learn from.

Those who haven't seen their work need to and fast, LOL! it's both entertaining and informative even in this century!

"Fair winds and following seas Ken" is the perfect phrase to end this post with.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I always loved his writings! I guess Pet Loads will be out of reach for most of us now!
    May He Rest in Peace !
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Ken was another one of he greats in the shooting world. I gained a lot of respect for him through his "Pet Loads" book.

Boolit Master
    His writing alone would have been a full time career, but he did an amazing number of other jobs as well. And lived to nearly 100 in the process. A full life well lived. Ave atque Vale!

Boolit Buddy
    When I started reloading back in the eighties a workmate suggested I obtain Pet Loads. A veritable mine of information that I still use regularly and always seem to find more than I was looking for.
    Godspeed Ken and Thankyou..Mike .We are diminished..

Boolit Master
    Will be missed, I have all the Gun Digests ....up until shortly after he left that editorial job. Always enjoyed his writing, informative and very "readable".
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

I have Pet Loads and it's great reading material. Looks like he had an awfully full and rewarding life and almost made it to 100. We should all be so fortunate. God speed to you, Ken.

Another legend gone. I bought Pet Loads many years ago and consult it often ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Banned

if you haven't benifited from him your just not a real handloader.

Moderator Emeritus

Ken was a hero of mine. I wrote him about an issue on load for a .338 Winchester and he sent me a letter back and I still have it. His book, Pet Loads, has been one of my go to books from the 1970's. Ken loved doing research on firearms and his detailed articles are second to none. I will miss him and may God hold him in the palm of his hands ..... fair winds and falling seas brother.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I hope his is there waiting for all of us when our time comes. Thanks Paul for the copy you gave me - It's one of my most prized and rest by my bedside.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Well time marches on. He was one of the few writers left that I really respected.

Boolit Master
    He will definitely be missed by the reloading community.
    His pet loads are always a great standby in my room.
    I always liked his practical approach, average guns, varied components and real world problem solving the average joe can do at home! Not extra long, extra heavy match grade barrels the average guy doesn't own and won't get the velocity out of because it is 4 or More inches longer than most folks will ever use in the field.
    Yes he played with wildcats but he also did work on most "normal" cartridges too.
    I learned a lot from him and his followers. RIP!!!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

The dean of handloaders has gone to his reward. I will miss him. Rest in peace old soldier.

Not to detract from Ken, but I never thought to write and thank him.
    C.E. (Ed) Harris is still alive and participating on the CBA forums. One evening I noticed him online and took the opportunity to thank him for making my reloading life better.

I have been fortunate enough to have met Issac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke. I thanked them for participation in my life.

Moderator Emeritus

I believe he'd been ill a number of times along his way, but he never lost his enthusiasm or curiosity, and never stopped experimenting. I'm sorry he's gone, for his loss is a very significant loss of a really good guy and writer/experimenter. He posted for a long time on another board, I believe, and told some old hunting stories that would fit in very well around ANY campfire. He seemed to always be fearless, but possessed of a very finely tuned decision making ability. He was a great hunter and shooter and experimenter, and we're not likely to see his equal again. I'm certain we'll not see anyone better. Rest in peace, my friend, and thanks for all you've given us in your time. May the good Lord bless and keep you, and cure all the infirmities you've suffered for so long now. Happy hunting! Amen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I always loved his writings! I guess Pet Loads will be out of reach for most of us now!
    May He Rest in Peace !
    There are currently 15 new copies available on Amazon for $60. That's only 150% of the price of a new reloading manual, for a lot more information.

I don't know how Ken accomplished the amount that he did in one lifetime. A dedicated person to be sure and a very big help to me. I love reading Pet Loads. Well done good and faithful servant, Enter your reward. Thank you Ken. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    I was thumbing through Pet Loads just last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast