Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ken Waters - Has passed .......

Boolit Grand Master

I am awaiting delivery of the copy I ordered last week. Something told me not to wait any longer. Ken is an often quoted writer.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned

Got mine today. I had no idea it was going to be 2 inches thick. Totally worth the $60.

One of my favourites, another favourite reloading writer was John Wooters, I see he passed in 2013 R.I.P. If it stays warm for the weekend maybe take the Waters Contender barrel to the range , been a while.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Boolit Grand Master

Rest In Peace Ken , we're going to miss you .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Got my big copy of "Pet Loads" a couple of days ago, and it sure brings back memories of reading his and others' stuff back when the glossy mags had real personalities and opinionated writers, instead of reps for the advertisers. I found little help for the calibers I have, but I'll always value it anyway, just for the content of the writing, and some of the historical notes. I'm glad I finally got a copy. Ol' Ken was a really good one. Modest, but methodical and definite in his conclusions. He could tell a good story, and keep our interest up and our spirit of adventure fed. And he gave good info. This was once the standard by which gun writers were rated, but now, they seem to be rated by how glowingly they can write about some new gun that's as ugly as a pug pup. I haven't subscribed to the glossies for many years now. Just can't see paying for advertising. I just wait until a specimen comes to the local shop, and examine it myself.

Unfortunately, we don't HAVE enough walnut, nice or plain, to stock all our guns with any more. We're even over in Burma and all sorts of other places, cutting trees now to make our furniture with, and good wood is so scarce that even "good" furniture is now being made from the better grades of sawdust glued together with very think veneers on top. If you find any antiques at a decent price, BUY THEM! You won't regret it.

Very sad. Via con Dios Hombre.

Boolit Man
    I grew up on Ken's research and writing. I have been blessed.
    Winchester1873
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    NRA Endowment Member
    SASS #4489

Boolit Grand Master

I stand and salute Ken Waters! We are definitely diminished. Ken's wisdom has enriched my life for many years!

Dale53

Boolit Master

May he rest well...his legacy is cherished
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    In my opinion one of two great reloading writers, the other was Dean Grinnell who wrote for Gun World!

Dean got me into casting my own pistol and later rifle boolits, Ken showed me the right way to reload safely!

Never met either of them and my life is poorer because of it but their work is still out there for the newbies to learn from.

Those who haven't seen their work need to and fast, LOL! it's both entertaining and informative even in this century!

"Fair winds and following seas Ken" is the perfect phrase to end this post with.
    +1!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A true Icon among reloaders, I have his big "Pet Loads" book and gave all the previous ones to a good friend when he got into reloading. I never reloaded any new (to me) cartridge without first referring to Ken's work. He was a treasure trove of source information, beginning at a time when chronographs were not common and loading cartridges was more of an art than science. While today there is more information on pressure testing and a plethora of new powders available, no reloading library is complete without his Pet Loads on the self as a primary reference. I had no idea he almost made it to 100 years of age! May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by kaiser; 12-11-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Not to detract from Ken, but I never thought to write and thank him.
    C.E. (Ed) Harris is still alive and participating on the CBA forums. One evening I noticed him online and took the opportunity to thank him for making my reloading life better.

I have been fortunate enough to have met Issac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke. I thanked them for participation in my life.
    He's here, too, but I'm not going to rat him out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Ya'll do realize that Ken Waters passed about 2 years ago when this topic was started & the OP posted on 02-18-2017, @ 07:21 PM.

Just pointing this out in case some are thinking that it just happened.

ETA: an obituary:
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/na...?pid=183542017
    Last edited by JBinMN; 12-11-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    I too miss his great research. Always wondered how he could afford all the components let alone arms to achieve such great detail. I treasure my copies of Handloader.

Boolit Master
    Have Ken's Pet Loads as well as a bunch of articles he did for both Rifle and Handloader magazines. Rest easy Ken you opened the world of handloading for generations of us. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12