RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: night vision scopes

Banned

night vision scopes

Thinking about getting one.

So many choices don't know where to start.

Anyone here use one?

What would you recommend?

Looking to use it for hog and coyote's.

Boolit Master

I picked up this one for the upcoming pig hunt, haven't decided what to mount it on yet. It got some decent reviews and it won't break the bank.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmar...iflescope.html
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Got a first gen Russian made monocular for Christmas. Not a rifle scope but could be useful one day.
    This one has an infrared illuminator that really gives a clear view even in total darkness.

I was unaware that any state allowed hunting at night.

Boolit Master
    Just checked my state.

"Tennessee

Night Hunting: Hunting of bullfrogs, raccoons, opossums, the chasing of foxes and rabbits, and the trapping of furbearers is permitted day or night unless restricted by Proclamation. No foxes or rabbits may be shot while chasing/training at night.
    Night Vision: Not Allowed, per the TN Wildlife Resources Agency all night vision scopes fall under the prohibited equipment provisions for all game and non-game animals.
    Phone: 615-781-6500 "

Guess its a good thing this Monocular is not a rifle scope.

Jack Lighting of Deer used to be a big problem, perhaps that's why they prefer some restrictions on what you can hunt at night.

Have you set a budget?

First Generation night vision devices are the most common and inexpensive consumer models on the market today. These devices have a great range of quality (more so than any other generation, Generation 1 devices are readily available and affordable but have limited abilities and noticeable distortions around the field of view. ). To give a feel for price, Generation 1 monoculars range from about $100-$400. Not a good weapons sight IMHO.

A significant increase in capability of Generation 2 with addition of the microchannel plate devices comes at a big jump in cost though. Generation 2 monoculars range in price from about $1000-$1500. And lifespan is shorter than Gen 1 or Gen 3. Not a good choice.

Generation 3 monoculars running about $2,000-$3,000. Generation 3 devices were substantially improved by changing to a new photocathode material - gallium arsenide. An ion barrier film was added to increase image-intensifier tube life. Gen 3 offer much greater light amplification abilities, better resolution and clearer images with less noise and longer lifespan. Best choice for weapons sight, Other than Thermal Imaging.
    Cost from $3k to 10K for Gen 3+ or Thermal

Last edited by Artful; 01-03-2017 at 01:49 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFu3g0LvMg

https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/f...s/mainregs.pdf

Mountain Lion and Coyote hunting ONLY
    You can use any color light, any voltage, any size, any type (including thermal and night vision) but it CANNOT be operated from or connected to a motor vehicle. This includes running a big extension cord from your vehicle!
    AZFG regulations will allow the use of suppressors during legal hunting.
    Last edited by Artful; 01-03-2017 at 01:53 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Got a first gen Russian made monocular for Christmas. Not a rifle scope but could be useful one day.
    This one has an infrared illuminator that really gives a clear view even in total darkness.

I was unaware that any state allowed hunting at night.
    NC allows hunting at night (for certain species) and the use of suppressors.

Vendor Sponsor

ATN X-Sight 2 new 3-14 or 5-20 ( I sell these 5-20 for $650.00)
    With WI Fi, gps, ballistics calculator, record on shot ECT ect
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 01-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I just picked up sightmark photon last week it is the one with the lazer instead of the reg light. So far I have found you need to be able to mount it far back on the rifle for good sight of view. Which is the same with the ATN but the sightmark is a longer scope so it makes it alittle better I think. Second the ATN eats batteries and needs a power pack to last for the hunt from what I have read about them. Also the ATN IR light is not up for the job. The sight mark runs on two AAs and they say it run 6 hours without the IR on for day use and 4 with IR on which I think is pushing it but I can pack extras in my pocket better then having a added battery pack. The ATN will record in color which I really like since I was looking really to take pics of the critters I see while I am hunting. And will do so in the scope the sightmark you will have to add a recorder that runs about 200 bucks and appears to be black and white. Both can be used day or night which I like. I have only played with mine a few times and noticed if anything is near you such as branches you are looking threw the IR lights them up so much you can not see past them so you need a clear sight path. And if your are shooting laying down the ground is lite up like snow which is ok but pointing that out also. I had to get away form the yard lights around me which is not easy to do to find the darkest area with the lowest light coming in. I found a area where I could not see anything without a light and tried the scope there. Just scope on no IR I could see nothing I could make out good enough to shoot went to IR 1 and got about 50 yards of sight. When to IR 2 which it got better then IR 3 and could see the woods about 175 yards away. There were not real clear and was kind of having buyers regret until I focus the scope the wood line came in real clear then I now was a happy camper. I knocked the IR power down to IR 2 could still see well and when I say well I could see a yote pig or deer with no problem. What I liked best about this scope so far is after mounting it on the rifle walking down the road to find a dark spot to test I was able to work the controls by feel. Which is one button for scope on same button for IR control and off. A knob for changing optics style color and sighting in also controls brightness. Then to focus rings one for your eyesight other for view that is the one I missed earlier.
    Like I have said the ATN has alot of what I was looking for filming and taking pictures but from what I have read and others reported to many bells and whistles to make it a out of the box scope. If your the guy that likes to play with your new I phone or laptop this may be the scope for you. But downloading updates and programming the scope to your gun is not my cup of tea.
    I have not sighted mine in yet due to the weather and hope to do so this weekend. Oh we got snow here this week and I did take it out to see how it effected the scope and found no IR is needed since the snow reflects so much light. Going to meet a friend of mine that has some night vision scopes to compare with the sightmark which BTW is video with crosshairs same as the ATN his is true night vision.
    So far I think this scope is the best bang for the buck if your looking night vision mine is the 50 mm with lazer toss in some 30 mm rings I got out the door for 630.00 ish with a lifetime limited warranty. Oh it was last years stock item this year price increase add about 100 bucks another reason I got this one.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

je suis charlie

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Now that's just the thing for raccoons in the sweet corn patch huh?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter