PBcastcoReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Model 572 pump

Boolit Master

Remington Model 572 pump

I always wanted a Remington 22 pump rifle. At 63, the prospects are dim.
    Care to comment about this rifle.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    My son inherited one from his great uncle. The gun is in perfect condition with the original box. We have fired many different brands and weights of 22 through it with zero issues. The fit and finish are very nice as well. The trigger is a bit stiff and seems to have a good bit of over travel. I've shot better but also much worse. I would have to say overall it is a quality firearm for sure.

Boolit Master
    I had one of the most beautiful old 572's I have ever seen. I loved the gun, but after a few thousand rounds, the action would unlock with the slightest of pressure until eventually I had to manually hold the forearm forward when firing. It would just unlock with it's own weight. I took it to a gun shop and the owner told me it was junk because of the alloy the receiver was made of. I sold for a very cheap price, but later found out that there is a lock bar that works with a spring and the trigger mechanism. I was told that it was a very cheap and easy fix, but I cannot verify the fix. If you handle the gun, make sure the forearm locks into place very firmly when loaded and ready to fire. If you can move the slide rearward with your pinky, I would check it out in greater detail. It was a tack driver and a beautiful and fun gun to shoot. I truly miss it and wish I would not have been so easily talked into a tale of woe.

I actually found a Remington 572 leaning against a bush at a wilderness shooting area as a kid. No one came to claim it after several hours, so I was given the go ahead by the adults in our shooting party to keep it. (was 1971, before finding a gun became a big deal). Yea! an unexpected treasure, My first 22. A great gun, always worked perfectly. Traded it away to soon and always missed it. Got nostalgic later in life and wanted another one. Found the 572 to be uncommon and rather expensive, so settled with getting the much more common 552 automatic. Also a really neat gun. The one i bought had the spent case deflector removed. which in fact the gun really needed, it launched the empty shells at least 15 ft. However, i was kind of amused by the way it hurled the shells and never did replace the deflector. Anyway ,the "feel" of either gun is really nice. Long, thin and light weight with the best pistol grip. Would recommend getting the 552 over the 572 only because of price and availability.

Perma-Banned
    Here's an retired Rem employee's 572 I just purchased. Not your average one !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1771_(1).jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	189732

Name:	IMG_1776_(1).jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	189733

Name:	IMG_1740.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	189734

Boolit Master
    Beautiful!

I had some kind of limited edition model, think they called it the Buckskin. I had a K4 scope on it
    and had it sighted for shorts. It was a squirrel killing machine.

Arguably the best .22 pump ever. They didn't stay in the catalog for decades for nothing. The 552 auto also a class act. Man sized .22s; I would love to have one of each. Best, Thomas.

Perma-Banned
    Opened up some 1" rings to 26mm for a classic Kollmorgan 4X with a dot and fine CH. Off to the range Sunday.

Name:	DSCN5202.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	190192

Quote Originally Posted by richmanpoorman View Post
    Opened up some 1" rings to 26mm for a classic Kollmorgan 4X with a dot and fine CH. Off to the range Sunday.

Name:	DSCN5202.jpg 
Views:	721 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	190192
    That is sweet. Enjoy that one!

I came across one cheap on Gunbroker for a couple hundred. It was very cosmetically challenged (looked like someone dremeled the ejection port for some unfathomable reason) but it shoots great. Feeds 22lr and 22 shorts equally well.

Mounted a vintage scope on it and it shoots quite nicely now.

Definitely an adult size and weight 22 rifle.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I had one of the most beautiful old 572's I have ever seen. I loved the gun, but after a few thousand rounds, the action would unlock with the slightest of pressure until eventually I had to manually hold the forearm forward when firing. It would just unlock with it's own weight. I took it to a gun shop and the owner told me it was junk because of the alloy the receiver was made of. I sold for a very cheap price, but later found out that there is a lock bar that works with a spring and the trigger mechanism. I was told that it was a very cheap and easy fix, but I cannot verify the fix. If you handle the gun, make sure the forearm locks into place very firmly when loaded and ready to fire. If you can move the slide rearward with your pinky, I would check it out in greater detail. It was a tack driver and a beautiful and fun gun to shoot. I truly miss it and wish I would not have been so easily talked into a tale of woe.
    I've read the first couple years had this issue, then Remington made a change that greatly increased durability. Shame though, I passed on a cherry 1st year production 572 for $250 due to this issue.

Boolit Master

My first rifle was a 572. I wish I had never sold it. It wasn't as accurate as I wanted it to be for some reason, but back then I didn't know how to troubleshoot accuracy problems. Then again maybe I still don't.

Boolit Master
    My father had worked his tail off one winter on a special project and I bought one for his birthday.

He was quite pleased as it was/is a very nice one .... a BDL I believe and in great shape to boot.

He has always admired his Rem 760 Gamemaster in ‘06 and pump shotguns so it was a very likely going to be cherished by him. A good friend of the family sold it to and that just added even more to the situation.

I had always wanted one myself for fast follow ups on our ever plentiful grey diggers (ground squirrels) and I finally found one years later. This one is the standard model and in horrible shape. My old eyes don’t work with buck horns and I need to put a receiver sight or a scope on it.

Dads came with a scope and one day he was out huntin’ those pesky grey diggers. He climbed up on the “Lima Bean” as he calls it .... a Lima log loader and sat in that elevated seat, much higher than a regular cab on a power shovel.

It wasn’t long before a grey digger popped out of a deck of corral poles. Dad settled the cross hairs on it and let fly .......

.......... the digger just stared back at him. A couple more rounds and the same response!

Now folks, we are talkin’ fifteen yards here and my father is not known for patience ... lol!

He reflects on the situation as the squirrel continues to stand up all proud in front of God and everybody and my father suddenly realizes he’s been shooting his log loader instead. You see his scope said GO but his muzzle said NO!

The end of barrel was below an angle iron rim of the cab and he was riccicheting the rounds back past himself. LUCKY isn’t even the word to describe what had just happened.

As I recall the squirrel saw Dad’s light bulb go off and dropped back into it’s hole before a better guided round could be let loose.

But back to the OP, they are great guns that handle like an extension of yourself. Enjoy!

Three44s

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    My father had worked his tail off one winter on a special project and I bought one for his birthday.

He was quite pleased as it was/is a very nice one .... a BDL I believe and in great shape to boot.

He has always admired his Rem 760 Gamemaster in ‘06 and pump shotguns so it was a very likely going to be cherished by him. A good friend of the family sold it to and that just added even more to the situation.

I had always wanted one myself for fast follow ups on our ever plentiful grey diggers (ground squirrels) and I finally found one years later. This one is the standard model and in horrible shape. My old eyes don’t work with buck horns and I need to put a receiver sight or a scope on it.

Dads came with a scope and one day he was out huntin’ those pesky grey diggers. He climbed up on the “Lima Bean” as he calls it .... a Lima log loader and sat in that elevated seat, much higher than a regular cab on a power shovel.

It wasn’t long before a grey digger popped out of a deck of corral poles. Dad settled the cross hairs on it and let fly .......

.......... the digger just stared back at him. A couple more rounds and the same response!

Now folks, we are talkin’ fifteen yards here and my father is not known for patience ... lol!

He reflects on the situation as the squirrel continues to stand up all proud in front of God and everybody and my father suddenly realizes he’s been shooting his log loader instead. You see his scope said GO but his muzzle said NO!

The end of barrel was below an angle iron rim of the cab and he was riccicheting the rounds back past himself. LUCKY isn’t even the word to describe what had just happened.

As I recall the squirrel saw Dad’s light bulb go off and dropped back into it’s hole before a better guided round could be let loose.

But back to the OP, they are great guns that handle like an extension of yourself. Enjoy!

Three44s
    That's funny right there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    He is lucky he was not packin’ one of his own slugs but yes, other than that .... it is a funny story. The squirrel laughed to after it figured things out more fully .... lol!

Three44s

Banned
    Just found the daddy of the 572. IMO better than the WRA 61.

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/...n-peep.606041/

Boolit Master
    Had one, a BDL, sold it in a weak moment. Very good shooting rifle. I don't recall if I tried shorts in it while I had it tho.

Whichever model you find or choose, you should be very happy with it.

Banned
    Here's a rare one that needs some love.

A great powdercoating application !

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Reming...ne%3D#topoflot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    I had the very same thing happen to a 870 wingmaster, that was a very nice older model, I assume from the 60's. I sold it for a song, cause I was young, and feared it would blow up on me! The 572 Bdl's are very nice rifles, and lately seem to be really going up in value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast