MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: First try at Paper Patching....

Boolit Bub

First try at Paper Patching....

OK, I decided to take a swipe at paper patching, since I've tried so much other stuff. I figure it might be interesting, especially since I've been shooting mainly cast bullets for 20+ years now.

I sized down some of my cast 435 grain 45-70 slugs, figured out the length I needed to go just a hair shy of 2 full wraps, cut out some patches, made a bullet board, and used spit to moisten the patches for rolling purposes.

I'm still working on trying to keep the amount of spit and the paper stretch consistent, but I managed to get 20 halfway decent patched rounds done. It only took me 30 patches, LOL!

Anyway, I'll have to size them down a bit to fit properly, but they should work well enough for me to have a little fun with. Here they are, sitting upside down drying...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2367.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	188274

Perm-Banned
    when you see the results of accuracy you will want to keep doing it. 435 is is good weight for a 1/18 twist 45/70. most shooters want heavier bullets but 450 to 485 grains can do great at 500 to 1000 yards. im sure 435 will give you good accuracy also. i wouldnt work so hard with the spit. water works just fine. keep us posted as to the results. make sure to use a good wad between the powder and the base of the bullet. and wipe the bore between rounds.

In Remembrance

I also started with the `spit patch` method of wrapping, I soon tired of the dry tongue and mouth and went to using the damp sponge method to wet the patches. I get a chuckle out of peoples comments about who taught me this method? With a straight face I reply` Buffalo Bill taught me back in the buffalo hunting days when I was a lad`!Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I use the sponge method also. I sit a small spounge in a shallow bowl of water and work it a little to get it started. I then let it sit for 5-10 mins to "normalize". I then just set 4-5 patches on it and give the first ones a few mins to dampen. I then take the first and wrap a bullet setting another patch on the spounge. and keep the rotation going as I wrap. once going patches set on the damp spounge about the same and paper absorbs enough moisture to wrap nicely. I use water or on some a mixture of 4 parts water to 1 part lee water souluable case lube. The original was an egg white to a quart of water. Another thing to try is to wrap with out a tail leave just enough for the fold over and to leave .060-.090 of base showing in the middle of the bullet, this allows the bullet to seat and sit flater wirth no ""lump" to cause problems.

Banned

ppb's are nothing short of awesome, i'm hooked on using them exclusively for my .45-70 rifles.

one thing you might consider is to not cover the bullet base with the paper - only wrap the paper over the bullet's base edge for about a third of the base diameter and leave a "hole" of lead showing. this will keep the initial powder detonation from forcing the paper into the lead and upsetting its flight - a mistake i initially made.

i find wrapping dry, with no paper "lube" to be easier, faster, and a sure way the paper will peel off the bullet as it exits the muzzle. i wrap just before pushing the bullet into a fire formed and charged brass case.

good luck, have fun!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, guys--my next batch will be even better... I'm going to load these up today, and chuck 'me down range first chance I get.

In Remembrance

Watch for the `confetti` shower at the muzzle when shooting.Robert

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Watch for the `confetti` shower at the muzzle when shooting.Robert