Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: New Savage 10

New Savage 10

I recently purchased a new model ten Savage 308. The rifle seems to be very accurate in early tests but I noticed scratched cases on extraction. So far, breaking in the rifle I've only fired jacketed bullets mostly factory odds and ends I had on hand. I took a look with my endascope (sp) and there seems to be a streak of some sort that looks like solder or lead streak on the 8 o'clock portion of the chamber and it doesn't clean out with my AR-10 chamber brush no matter how much I scrub. Any ideas what this may be and possible at home fix. Thanks Gp

Super Moderator

.............If it is causing scratches on your brass you're probably not seeing a 'Streak' of something but more likely a longitudinal scratch within the chamber. Possibly and issue with the headspace gauge when the barrel was installed, or with the chamber reamer when that was done. Also if it was lead, it wouldn't be scratching the brass. Without seeing it for myself, my recommendation is to simply send it back to Savage.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

I have repaired several new factory rifles with "scratched" chambers, Savage and Remingtons. I take a brass rod with a slit in one end to hold FINE emery paper which is wound around the rod. With the rod chucked in a drill I polish the chamber to smooth the scratches. Some chambers were scratched so bad that the case would not extract. Takes about 5 minutes to correct.
    Larry

Buckshot and Larry: Thanks for your replies guys. Looking at the chamber with my scope (it's a cheap one) it actually looks more like a bump or streak of something more than a scratch. SIL opined that if I protected the neck area of the chamber I most likely wouldn't harm the chamber by lapping it a bit to remove whatever it is giving me grief. Thanks Gp

I hope you get your problem worked out. I have a Savage 10FCP-SR and it shoots outstanding.