Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How about starting a thread of "What I'm doing" in the world of cast boolits ?

How about starting a thread of "What I'm doing" in the world of cast boolits ?

As suggested by JonB_in_Glencoe, I figured I'd start such a thread.

What I'm doing in the world of cast boolits is strictly small scale, but I'm having fun!
    I'm still working on loads for my VZ24 using the LEE C324-175-1R and Alliant 2400.
    There's also some boolit lube ideas I've gathered supplies for.
    I developed a faster and easier way to reclaim lead from the indoor range, which results in a cleaner base material for smelting.
    When the opportunity arises, I like to get out and do some casting on the rainy days. This tends to aid in my casting efforts by producing a better boolit with great fill-out and sharp edges.
    Some of the projects take me a while, but I'm not in a race and as said before, I'm having fun.

What are some of the things you're doing?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm still learning the fine art of alloying. I've recently been able to come across linotype and also some solder. I have a few hundred pounds of COWW smelted down and 2 buckets filled to the rim with unsmelted COWW that have been seperated. After that, my stock pile is gone. Looking for more. Until then I will be playing mix master and finding my right alloy mix.

I am also chasing consistency. Consistency in appearance, weight, etc in my handgun boolits. That's mostly what I cast for. 357,41,45acp/lc mostly. Some 9/10mm.

I am also chasing the "magic load" that my primary handguns like. My Smith 686 and blackhawk for 357 and my multiple 41's especially. I'd likely hunt with either my 6" Smith M57 or my Ruger BH Bisley with 5.5" in stainless I received a a graduation present from dad or my 4-5/8" blackhawk I first purchased as my very own first 41mag. I'm keeping records, but would like to keep better and more accurate records including atmospheric readings and accuracy reports.

I would also like to work on taking my first handgun deer this fall and winter. Gotta figure out the load and the boolit first.

Always looking for new sources of lead. My LGS is building an indoor range and the owner promises me the lead with the agreement that i'll smelt and resell in ingots and keep a certain % for me. Not sure how that'll all play out though.

1) Currently testing the use of IMR 4064 in the 8x57 mauser. To further create more excitement, I am also testing two boolits for the same. The Lee C324-175-1R and Lyman 323470.
    2) I am crashing my proverbial ship onto the rocks via the siren song of the 30-40 Krag rifle. I am placing an order with Bullshop tonight for some boolits to further the project.
    In short, I am like a little kid with two cool toys to play with.

Boolit Master
    Working with a wicked looking wasp waist style boolit mold for .30 caliber.
    Trying 4198 powder for the first time.
    FINALLY got away from pan lubing and got me a pair of lube sizers. An RCBS for rifle and a Lyman for pistol. Ohh lordy and I tickled about that!!!!!

Testing copper grease and polymer powder for bullet lubes.

Refining my press less shotshell loading

Better ways to water proof paper patch

I've only been casting for a short time, but I'm all in. I've had moderate success with 308 Win, 444 Marlin, and recently bought .223 Rem and 7mm to start work on. I think I'll never have to many moulds, but I'm collecting them as fast as my moderate income will allow.
    I also enjoy spending alot of time on this site, reading, interacting with all you good folks. I been able to meet 2 different members in person, solid gold fellows.

Love Life
    I am currently having mucho fun with the 38 S&W!

I am working at my casting technique so that I can cast more uniform boolits, and hopefully one day I'll get to filing into a boolit and not find voids. I'm constantly amazed at that part.

I'm borrowing guns left and right to test out a theory on polygonal rifling.

I'm ordering the materials to make up some copper enriched alloy to play with that.

I'm killing paper and slaying Jack rabbits (I'll have to quit soon since I already have 4 inthe freezer and 5 is about my limit).

I'm working on testing slow rifle powders in a revolver.

I've got a bunch going on and hopefully I will learn something along the way!!

Casting bullets and reloading for sub machine gun calibers: 380, 9mm, 45acp. Got the whole thing down years ago and now cast and shoot a LOT more than I used to.
    Starting to get the hang of the Star sizer too. Struggled for years but found out it was a factory defect.
    Probably 2000 lbs of raw ww in the basement. 600 lbs of ingots in the casting shed. 200+ lbs of linotype. Should be set for a while.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Currently having fun learning everything I can.
    Still tinkering with alloys and what mix is good for what boolit.
    I love casting my own boolit and using my own homemade lube and shooting a 1.5" group, puts a huge smile on my face.

Glad to be a member here.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Lets see ......
    1908 7x57 287-150 fail 7mm-168 fail 284-130 not a complete fail Lube issues something about that 29'' bbl

1916 GEW 98 7mm MaxM (?) 27-130 pp fail 287-150 gg/pp fail seating fear of lack of load data fat chamber std bbl not enough leade.

11-43 RA 1903A3 301-618 has at last restored my faith in my ability to pour,wrap, measure ,seat breath,squeeze........

Now about finding a real ladle,modified ram for an RCBS partner press,some one w/a loading software dilly, mastering the 2 dia paper patch and getting back to the 7RWH.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just bought a 45ACP 1911 and now I need to start casting and loading for that cal also.

Adding it to the existing list: 223, 30, 38SPL, 357MAG, 40S&W, 45LC. Oh yes.....and the dreaded horrible 9mm!

Nose to the grindstone running my company....working hard on my 2nd million $$.......NOT.

.......HA....ha!

banger
    ............"The day you quit learning is the day they nail the lid on your coffin."

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    and getting back to the 7RWH.
    I have been waiting to hear more on this!

Boolit Buddy
    i just started casting around a year ago. i now have 8 molds and more little pieces of lead on everything i own than i thought possible. i like casting and coating about as much as loading. im working on getting a better smelting setup. im also learning what type molds i like the best (4 hole steel in the lead right now) and trying to get more consistant with casting. working on taking a deer or pig with a blackhawk this year as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Working on lee C312-185-1R in a old Chinese SKS. Looking for 1700+ FPS with sub 3" groups at 100 Yds. My first attempt looks promising enough to continue, but I need to fix my chrony first, after an unfortunate shooting accident.

Boolit Master

Well i am still cleaning lead from my Savage Enfield barrel i did not test the last batch of powder coated bullets and fired a few at about 2000 fps when they started hitting the paper side ways it was to late the bore was leaded badly. This batch was Harbor freight yellow paint, red & white worked great and the same bullet sized smaller .309 shoots under 2 MOA from my Marlin 336 30-30 at 2040 f/s . Oh well live and learn the bullet was sized .312 in the 303 and shot well will Red coating at reduced velocity.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy

NOE 22-055 in a 221 Fireball with H335.

Thinking about Rem Mod 7 in 308 or 358.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

Have three new molds to break in 2 sizers to beagle out. Working on my new home made one of a kind bottom pour pot. Thinking real hard about becoming a cast only hunter, hence the new molds I have to many favorite cals and guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I have been at this for a couple of years now. Pretty much everything I know about casting has come from reading and asking questions on this site and trial and error, and trust me, there has been a lot of error. I have managed to amass a decent amount of molds and other casting gear, enough to make my wife shake her head, but then she doesn't mind shooting up all the ammo I have loaded so it is okay. She has also turned out to be a pretty good lead scrounger. Funny how a pretty blond girl has more luck at the tire shops than I do. I am still experimenting with the pistol bullets. Right now I am in the middle of testing powder coated 9mm. Initial tests have shown good accuracy and velocity with no leading. Much better results than I have gotten with tumble lubing. I have a good supply of smelted lead and a bunch left to go. Looking forward to the adventure. JC

Perma-Banned

Well, I am one of the old guys, just not one of the "oldtimers" around here as far as posting and participation in the fray. I lurked here for years prior to joining and I still lurk much more than I post...except in the last week.

I have been casting a few years on my own, but I have a near life long friend that is a master caster by any measure, so I am not exactly a newbie to casting, per se. I cast for 38,357,44mag, 44 special, 45acp, 45colt, 454 and use them in some rifle calibers as well. I have gotten to the point in my life that the only j-word bullets that I use are in my carry gun and that is simply because of potential for legal issues. I prefer cast because they perform the same every time...I know what to expect and I like that.

Most of my casting is for 357, 44 and 45 bullets that I use for different hunting situations. I have never spent much time with the 357 for various reasons, but recently I have been doing a lot of experimenting with different bullets and loads...man, it is a very interesting and diverse round that I have come to really appreciate...even though my heart is really with the bigbores.

My son and I shoot a lot of steel challenge matches and we cast all of our bullets for competing, both pistol and revolver.

At any rate, I regularly cast and reload primarily for handguns and I find that I am hopelessly addicted to the hobby as it is fun and I learn something new all of the time.

Well, i just ordered a 311299 from Noe, and i am hoping that he can add a pin for one of the cavities to make it a HP... It is the only boolit that is 200gr plus that fits nice in my k31 swiss 7.5 x 55...

Plus, I scored 2 lbs of 4895, so I need to play with that some....

And today is the last full day of school, so we will be completing our making of black powder rocket fuel for our rocket launch tomorrow.... Sooooo busy days.... I think i will go fishing tomorrow for dollies.... Right after the launch....

AG

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast