MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: YOU, sir, are a LIAR!

Boolit Master

It ain't a lie if you got pics...
    Attachment 188555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	188556
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    "This one is the one my kids like best, When I was a boy I had to walk 3 miles to school , in the snow and rain , it was uphill both ways .
    Gary "

Actually that's exactly the way it was for me. The first leg was downhill to the halfway mark then steeply uphill. same on the way back steep downhill then steep uphill. In the dead of winter with ice several inches thick it was often harder to make my way downhill without falling than uphill. Three miles sounds about right, it may have been further. Feral dog packs were an occasional hazard.

Banned

HogTamer I'm on my way down.
    I should have the 5' of snow and ice dug out from around the boat any day now.
    unless it snows tonight, and tomorrow, and through may.

Boolit Buddy

I am never wrong, I might not always be right but I am never wrong.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master
    I'm right 95% of the time the other ten percent dosen't realy count
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master
    now I know why he has to sell lube grooves its clear here must be real bad up there
    wv has missed the bad stuff that why we have tomatoes on the vines

Boolit Master
    "The bullet rises after it leaves the muzzle."
    It drops in relation to the bore line but in fact leaves the muzzle on an upwards angle in relation to the line of the sights.

At anything but point blank the bullet passes through the sight line twice before dropping below the line of sight.

If fired exactly parallel (not really possible due to the curvature of the earth) to the ground the bullet will strike the ground in exactly the same length of time as a bullet dropped from the same height as the bore line.

Boolit Master

"The bullet rises after it leaves the muzzle."
    It drops in relation to the bore line but in fact leaves the muzzle on an upwards angle in relation to the line of the sights.

At anything but point blank the bullet passes through the sight line twice before dropping below the line of sight.
    I expect most of us understand that the bullet rises only in relation to the line of sight, but I've been surprised over the years at how many people have tried to explain to me how the bullet actually rises against gravity somehow, something about the spin makes it rise like a helicopter until it slows down and drops. I wish I could get some of those magic bullets.

My favorite I think is how often I hear or read that someone's off the shelf M4 clone shoots "minute-of-angle" with any old bulk FMJ.

Boolit Master
    If fired exactly parallel (not really possible due to the curvature of the earth) to the ground the bullet will strike the ground in exactly the same length of time as a bullet dropped from the same height as the bore line.

I had this very thing demonstrated in physics in college. The Prof hung a can on an electromagnet and pointed a horizontal pipe directly at it. He blew a marble thru the pipe and a switch on the end of the pipe released the can.

Within reason, distance or ball speed did not matter. The ball hit the can every time...

Boolit Master
    " something about the spin makes it rise like a helicopter until it slows down and drops. I wish I could get some of those magic bullets."

Airsoft BBs fired from a gun that has a "Hopup" to induce back spin on the BB will create a tiny area of vacuum towards the top of the spinning ball. The vacuum generally just reduces how fast the ball will drop but if strong enough can cause the ball to rise above the bore line.
    Its called the Bernoulli principle.
    The opposite effect is seen when an unpatched round ball is fired from a smoothbore. In that case the ball takes on a under spin, the resulting vacuum greatly reducing the range the ball can travel.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I love filling out my taxes those forms are just so easy.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Airsoft BBs fired from a gun that has a "Hopup" to induce back spin on the BB will create a tiny area of vacuum towards the top of the spinning ball. The vacuum generally just reduces how fast the ball will drop but if strong enough can cause the ball to rise above the bore line.
    Its called the Bernoulli principle.
    I know this thread is about great lies, but that's a fascinating bit of truthful information. I was reminded of golf so looked it up to see that golf balls follow the same principle. I know real bullets don't actually rise but I can see how someone vaguely familiar with the Bernoulli effect in golf could make that assumption. While still not true, maybe it's not really as absurd as it sounds.

Boolit Master
    The same effect is responsible for "spin drift". In the case of modern rifle bullets the vacuum forms near the bullet base and pulls the rear of the bullet out of its normal line of flight.

As the bullet looses velocity its speed of rotation remains high so the effect becomes greatest at longer ranges.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post

Within reason, distance or ball speed did not matter. The ball hit the can every time...
    Learned of this fact in 10th grade physical science class. Our teacher demonstrated that gravity pulls the same whether you are standing still or traveling horizontally with his bow and arrow. I then proceeded to go engineering school and got even a better understanding of it. It frustrates me that so many people think they know the dynamics of bullets when many have no clue.

For those that still think the bullet rises, what happens if you turn the gun upside down, does it curve the other way?

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    The same effect is responsible for "spin drift". In the case of modern rifle bullets the vacuum forms near the bullet base and pulls the rear of the bullet out of its normal line of flight.

As the bullet looses velocity its speed of rotation remains high so the effect becomes greatest at longer ranges.
    Thanks, I had not heard the explanation for this, makes perfect sense.

Boolit Master
    I hold my Glock sideways because it came out of the box that way...

Boolit Master
    The .308 has more "shock power" than the .30-06. (no lie heard a guy say this in Dick's Sporting Goods one day, was quite adamant about it). Not real sure what "shock power" is.

I cant believe it only took 8 pages for this thread to drift.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1483321257343.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	188604

Why I stopped hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    I cant believe it only took 8 pages for this thread to drift.
    I've never noticed "thread drift" at this site.

(Is this the right color of purple?)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast