RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli Rolling Block 45-70

Boolit Master

Pedersoli Rolling Block 45-70

Does anyone have any info or experience with the Pedersoli Rolling Block 45-70 with double set triggers? Looks interesting to say the least!

Pedersoli Rolling Block

I have one in 40-65 single trigger & a 30"Barrel with tang sights, I have only shot it a few times with factory ammo. I am going to be working with it very soon with a heavier lead bullet paper patch & some holy black.I am expecting it to shoot very well, every pedersoli rifle I have ever owned after a work up shot very well,
    Last edited by gandydancer; 02-17-2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: incorrect information.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    They are very interesting>I am moveing pretty slow with mine but still it is a good shooting rifle.i have everything but a mold for it.I cast some boolits with countrygent for it and it realy shows some good thing so far with BP loads.I have the 1874 sharps sporeter with lee shaver midrange tang site.my fist rifle with the double set trigger very sweet it is.I have a mold coming within the next few weeks.nothing like the ring of steel with it.great fun.i have a ways to go to get it shooting the way it is capable of but I will get there.

I love Rolling Blocks, but will continue to build them up from donor military original actions. Still plenty of the old military rifles and actions around that are cheap and not worth saving as originals. I'm just starting another I picked up in .43 Spanish as a barreled action for $150. Great bore, but I just needed the action. The nice barrel can go to somebody who is saving one.
    I bought everything except the Green Mountain .40 Caliber barrel from Numrich Gun Parts. They have all the leftover parts from the custom shop Rolling Blocks that Remington ran not many years ago. So ordered a deluxe pistol grip stock, with ebony inlet wedge, and checkered steel buttplate, and checkering, plus a matching checkered forearm with color cased forearm tip. Also ordered the Remington pistol grip lower tang to convert my gun to the pistol grip stock. A whopping $244 in parts, and $16 shipping. Add the $150 for the barreled action, and the $220 I gave for the 1.125" full octagon GM .40 cal. 1:16" twist barrel; and it makes an inexpensive gun. Will have another $250 in rust bluing and color casehardening the action, but still less than anything close to it new or used.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the sharps long range model with double set triggers and after a couple thousand rounds I had to re adjust the trigger a little. (hammer wouldn't always stay cocked). Its been good ever since for several thousand rounds. The double set triggers are nice, but then so is a Lee Shaver set up single trigger. The triggers are good and very useable. The roller is a great action and very durable. WHat are your intended uses for this thunder stick?

I have the Pedersoli Creedmore No. 2 in 45-70 ..... not the John Bodine. I love it. I use it in local Ram Bash silhouette matches. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

My Pedersoli RB is an approximation of the #1 1/2 Heavy Sporter - 30" half-octagon, straight stock, single trigger, Lee Shaver sights. Had it for a little over 4 years and it's still one of my favorite shooters.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Thnx for the replies everyone! I don't hunt, but mainly target shoot, both casually & competitively (pistols) & always wanted to try long range targets. I really don't need one of these, but they really appeal to me. I have an original Remington Roller in 32-20 that I enjoy & also an old Trapdoor in 45-70 that's fun to shoot. I have absolutely no experience with the Sharps design rifles. How would you compare them to a roller?

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have the sharps long range model with double set triggers and after a couple thousand rounds I had to re adjust the trigger a little. (hammer wouldn't always stay cocked). Its been good ever since for several thousand rounds. The double set triggers are nice, but then so is a Lee Shaver set up single trigger. The triggers are good and very useable. The roller is a great action and very durable. WHat are your intended uses for this thunder stick?

I have both Sharps, RB and Martini BPCR rifles. The Sharps is very accurate, double set triggers and easy to load even with my left hand.
    Second preference would be the Martini (40/65) easy of loading and extraction. The roller is a fine rifle but it has no camming action to seat a round into the breech and ingauge the rifling.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

pedersoli rollers are the best (if not only?) commercial rollers, i've had them in .45-70 and .40-65, currently use the .45-70 "adobe walls"model, all are dst target models only, all fitted with lee shaver super grade sights. love the pedi rollers, here are a few ...

Boolit Buddy
    i have one in 45-70, love the double triggers, my rifle likes the Lyman 457125 bullet which weighs 500 grs and is a roundnose bullet. My load is 25 grs of AA 5744 powder and the rifle is very accurate. Love it. Enjoy. JimP.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I have the Pedersoli Creedmore No. 2 in 45-70 ..... not the John Bodine. I love it. I use it in local Ram Bash silhouette matches. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is a lot of fun to shoot.
    You and I have the exact same gun!

I'm using 1:30 alloy with the 545gn "PGT" boolit. Proven very accurate to 1000 yds.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

There are good and bad to both. The sharps is a very solid lock up and easy to work with. It rides the sticks well. The side hammer is easier to deal with for some and the under lever gives a little more ommph for extraction. The roller is a center hammer and is easier to load with a period style scope on it. Another is the roller is easier to shoot prone as you don't have to roll up to cycle the action to load. Bioth are solid desighns and very accurate rifles. The roller may be a little harder to rebarrel keeping the block face square and true.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    pedersoli rollers are the best (if not only?) commercial rollers, i've had them in .45-70 and .40-65, currently use the .45-70 "adobe walls"model, all are dst target models only, all fitted with lee shaver super grade sights. love the pedi rollers, here are a few ...

Where did you get the lace on recoil pads? They look great.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Banned

those are kick killers, with akton gel cushions inside - Extremely effective in helping to mitigate the recoil. i've fired nearly 100 rounds of .45-70 cartridges loaded with 82 grains of swiss 1-1/2f under a 523 grain boolit, all in one morning and no shoulder issues at all. all my bp rifles sport kick killers or i don't shoot 'em ... have one reserved for the forth coming shiloh sharps.

Boolit Master
    How does that "Kick Killer' work? Is it just a gel pad inside to absorb recoil? OR, is there some type of "magic" inside the pad? Thanks for any info.

Ken H>

Banned

yes, a 1/2" thick shaped gel inside the stitched leather boot. click on the words "kick killers" in my above post to visit their site and read about it all.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I had went to the link but didn't find how it worked - this time I found the Akton AE-Polymer link and read about it. I just might order one of those for my 45-70. Of course, that means I really need 3 or 4 of them for all the old rifles.

Thanks for the explanation.

Ken H>

Boolit Bub
    I have an older model Pedersoli long range Creedmore in 45-70. Had it for pushing 20 years. Wonderful rifle.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast